“Just lovely!”
Review of The May Fair Hotel

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #224 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 13 July 2011

Just returned home after a wonderful stay at the May Fair Hotel. I booked the 'Celebration Package' as a treat for my husband who is home on R&R from a 'sandy place' abroad! We were upgraded to a studio suite on arrival and although had to wait until 1600 for the room to be ready - it was worth the wait. It also gave us a chance to sample a few cocktails in the bar. Friendly, helpful reception staff - Matthew and ?Stephanie from Eastleigh! The studio suite was spacious, decor very colourful and tasteful and the dressing room area a delight. The chocolate dipped strawberries were rather moreish, flowers beautiful and prosecco perfect. Breakfast was yummy and restaurant staff pleasantly cheerful. We will be booking again when he returns for good from the 'sandy place' later in the year to celebrate a safe return. We enjoyed the May Fair bar atmosphere both in the afternoon and on return from dinner later in the evening.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tigerfur
MayFairHotel, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2011

Thank you for your feedback.
I was deilghted to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you so much for your compliments.
We very much look forward to welcoming you both back to The May Fair later on this year.
With our warmest wishes,

There are newer reviews for The May Fair Hotel

Reviewed 5 July 2011

I stayed in the May Fair Hotel the week beginning 6th June '11. Their website describes it as a 'Luxury 5 star Hotel' so I was expecting a lot. How disappointed I was.

Check in on the day was fine, welcoming and prompt. The room I was assigned was clean, very small and not what I booked. Whilst it was adequate enough it did feel somewhat claustrophobic. Free wifi was included in the room so that was one bonus. Bed was comfortable enough if I could have gotten some sleep, I’ll come to that below. Otherwise it was an average 3 star hotel bed room.

The location itself is fairly central with a few (rather pricey) restaurants close by. The Green Park tube station is a 3 minute walk away. Sainsbury is directly across the road which is a bit strange given the area but handy if you’re looking for something in the supermarket. I didn’t get a chance to sample anything local but did eat in Quince the hotel restaurant and was very let down. The menu is limited and I struggled to find anything I liked. When I did receive my order it was tasteless. I was accompanied by a friend on the night that also had a similar experience. I understand this is a new restaurant but I think they need to rethink the direction and provide a more diverse menu.

My first night in the hotel was an experience I hope I never have to go through again. Having retired to my room at around 11pm and falling asleep I was awoken abruptly at 2am by the fire alarm going off and on in quick rapid succession. This lasted for about 10 minutes and then stopped, there was no communication to the room but I immediately rang reception. When I did get through I was told it was a false alarm. With this in mind I drifted off to sleep however at 3am the fire alarm went off. Rather than ring down to reception I decided to get dressed and go down to reception. I’m glad I did because there was organised chaos in the lobby. It was like something out of a movie with what must have been 200 plus guests at the reception area. There was one manager trying to explain it wasn’t his fault and that it was due to an electrical issue with the alarm. Guests were not taking this as a valid excuse and when pushed the manager was unable to demonstrate anything he was saying was factually correct. Over the course of the 20 minutes or so I was there the story drifted and no sign of any incident plan was being implemented. Sensing this was going nowhere and the hotel themselves didn’t know what was going on I went back to the room and relayed the pandemonium in reception to other guests as I made my way back to my room. As expected the alarm continued to go off and on for the next hour or so - it was at least 5:30am before I went asleep and an 8am meeting ahead of me. Not a happy guest to say the least. My second night I had no issues going asleep due to having virtually none the previous night.

In summary I wouldn’t recommend this hotel to anyone and won’t be staying there again. I can understand a fire alarm being triggered once but for it to happen numerous times over the course of a night is unacceptable. The hotel’s General Manager reply on this website in my opinion is insulting to guests. Claiming incidents are out of their control is another safety fear that guests need to be aware of. A simple read of previous posts here or a Google search will show this problem has been ongoing for some time now without resolution. Also the comment that the ‘Fire Brigade Chief’ complimented the hotel on the way they handled the situation is puzzling because what I saw was far from complimentary. I shudder to think if this was real incident what we would be talking about here.

10  Thank CheersTC

Thank you for your feedback which we do take constructively.
May I firstly say that I am sorry you were unhappy with the size of room you were given and that Quince did not meet with your expecations in terms of menu choice. I would like to take this opportunity of advising you that you can also dine in our May Fair Bar which offers a completely different choice of your menu which may have been more to your liking.
The night when the fire alarm was activated was a horrendous night for both guests and staff alike. The alarm was unfortunately set off by an intruder not an electrical fault which you were advised. I understand from my night team that the alarm sounded for a maximum of 40 minutes which I completely understand is most disturbing.
It is fair to say that there was a delay in answering calls from guests which was regrettably down to the sheer number of calls coming through. We are looking at how we can improve on this. There are always lessons to be learned and as an operation we do take on board your comments.
Thank you for taking the time once again.
Warmest wishes,

Reviewed 2 July 2011

I stay at the May Fair when I travel to London for business and I am usually very happy. The location is excellent - near the tube and across the road from a supermarket. The rooms are generally very clean and nicely furnished and the hotel seems to recognise frequent stayers with slightly larger rooms and small gifts. My only complaint has ever been the fragrance they pump into the foyer, which gives me a headache. However, I am starting to wonder if the May Fair is losing the plot. During my most recent stay, they said that my room was not ready, yet they checked people into their rooms that arrived at the hotel after me. My room (when I got it) was supposed to be smoke free but it smelt of cigarette smoke. I shifted rooms (a couple of hours later) and the room was very small. My Blackberry had no signal in the room for the duration of the stay. Also, there were young adult guests up and down the hallway making lots of noise during the night. I know this is a party hotel but it is the first time I have experienced this. I hope the May Fair gets it together to fix all of the poor feedback on Trip Advisor because it is truly a great boutique hotel and a great base for business or holidays.

1  Thank carnage99

Thank you for your feedback which I always take constructively.
Firstly, may I apologise for a stay that did not go as smoothly as it should have. With the number of rooms we have of different categories, it may well have been that other guests would have been able to check into their rooms more easily. However, I understand how you might feel.
There is no excuse for rooms smelling of smoke. We have preventative methods to ensure no guests experience that and I shall be taking this up with our Executive Head Housekeeper.
We have moved away from being a party Hotel upstairs and I am only sorry that such noise intruded in your experience overnight.
We wil look at this, however, I hope that you will continue to enjoy The May Fair and would very much like to touch base with you on a personal basis next time you intend to come and stay.
Please rest assured I will ensure that you have a thoroughly enjoyable visit and please do get in touch with my office directly.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Warmest wishes,

Reviewed 28 June 2011

Booked a weekend here to celebrate my husbands birthday costing me just short of £700...we had to be moved 3 times over the two days due to being disappointed with the quality of the rooms (they were not as shown on the website of either late rooms or the hotel site) There were stains on the carpets and the first room we were placed in was a box room even though i had paid extra for a superior king room! The hotel lacked any sort of wow factor that i have found in other similarly priced hotels such as the Four Seasons, The Sanderson group hotels and The W . The customer service was extremely lacking and each time i had a problem they were very quick to say sorry but slow and incompetent when resolving the issues - I would never stay here again or suggest this place to a friend!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank talia-g
MayFairHotel, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2011

Thank you for your feedback.
I am was so sorry to read that you had a disappointing stay with us especially as you were celebrating such a special occasion.
To hear that you were unhappy with our rooms and customer service is most upsetting and I hope you will accept my personal apologies for this.
I am continually looking at how we can improve service and standards within the Hotel and do hope that you would reconsider returning to The May Fair on a future occasion when I will personally ensure you have a most comfortable and enjoyable stay with us.

Reviewed 20 June 2011

This is a very nice hotel, with very comfortable rooms. The room is large and feels very cozy. The breakfast is a buffet of an assortment of food- somewhat pricey- but very delicious! The lobby is small and not very impressive- but this usually doesn’t bother me. The bathroom is large and has a great ironing contraption for pants. International travellers- be careful- they will charge you for the use of adaptors without warning. Also, the internet is somewhat spotty. Also, be careful- they will also charge an automatic donation to your bill- without authorization. It is only a pound, but I know this can cause problems for business travelers. The shower is nice and does include great toiletries. The exercise room is decent. The location is very convenient. I do wish there was a coffee shop inside the hotel, but there are a few very close by. It is a very pricey hotel, but you are paying for luxury and for the location.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room with a view!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
MayFairHotel, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2011

Thank you for your feedback and I was pleased to learn you enjoyed your overall stay at The May Fair.
I just wanted to come back to you on a couple of points you made. A deposit only for an adaptor is taken taken from our Concierge and when this is returned, the deposit is then given back to the guest. The donation you refer to is for the World Childhood Foundation which is of course discretionary and should the guest not wish to donate, this is deducted straight away. I am so sorry that you found the internet spotty. We haven't had any past problem with this but I will ask our IT department to have a look into this.
I am pleased to advise you that coffee can be taken in our 150 Lounge, The May Fair Bar or alternatively Quince. You are completely right in saying that there are a great selection of coffee shops two minutes away.
I am really grateful for your feedback and I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back once again.

Reviewed 20 June 2011

I stayed here last weekend and overall I very much enjoyed the stay. The room was generously sized, especially by London standards and the bathroom was really nice.
The reception staff were unfailingly friendly and definitely the highlight. The doormen on the other hand seemed more likely to be chatting to each other rather than paying attention to was coming and going. My only gripe with the room was the lack of sound proofing, sometime after midnight a crowd turned up in the corridor and I had to listen to their banter for ten minutes before they eventually left.
We had dinner in Quince and it was awful. Firstly the waiter explained how the menu works, which is fine as it is a 'new concept' however his tone was beyond condescending. We weren't very hungry but ordered a main each and a side, he seemed displeased as he recommended we order two sides per main. Then the food came, he actually took my sister's knife and spoon and cut up some of her fish to explain to her how to eat it and mix it with the dressing! Both of us sat in incredulous silence unable to believe that the waiter was showing us how to cut the fish! I was almost surprised he didn't pick it up and put it in her mouth! We then had to endure a long wait for the dessert menu so we gave up and left. Tried to settle the bill with the maitre d' but she was more concerned that she get it from the waiter who we had already waited more than ten minutes for. I should add at this point that it wasn't busy. The food was fine, maybe 3 star at best. I ate locally in Wembley the following evening and it was a million times better.
In short the hotel is perfectly nice, in a great location and a 5 star at a reasonable price.
Quince is overpriced and over-hyped with shocking service and adequate food.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback and I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your overall stay with us.
I am so sorry for your experience in Quince. There are a number of interesting points which I would like to discuss with you should you have time to call me.
I hope that you might have kept in touch with the reviews Quince has recently had as this seems to be a one off. Please do not hesitate to contact my office and thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 19 June 2011

i checked in on 15th June 2011, stayed in Room 849 for 2 nights, confirmation number was 2596255.
i was very disappointed and shocked to know afterwards (by checking the pictures of room type from booking.com) that their staff gave me a room which is inferior than a superior double room. I booked Superior King Room, not trustworthy at all!!! Better check the room type when you checked in, or you might be tricked!!

1  Thank gucci_bird
MayFairHotel, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2011

Thank you for your feedback.
I was very upset to learn that you were unhappy with your room as you were not reserved the room you had booked online. I will be speaking with my Front Desk about this and would like to offer you personal apologies for your disappointment.
Please kindly contact my office should you wish to return to The May Fair and I will ensure you are allocated one of our lovely Studio Suites by way of apology.