“Excellent Boutique Style Hotel”
Review of The May Fair Hotel

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #222 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 19 November 2011

I booked the May Fair Hotel as a treat for my wife's birthday. We stayed for just one night and left very reluctantly - should really have stayed for two nights or more! The hotels location was perfect for us being in close proximity to New Bond Street, Oxford Street, and the Palladium Theatre.

The staff were extremely attentive and friendly throughout. We stayed in a superior suite - which had beautiful decorations, modern luxury furnishings, a stunning bathroom, and a top of the range sound system and TV. We simply couldn't fault it! We both agreed it was one of the best rooms we had ever stayed in. My wife notices the small touches, and aspects such as complimentary water, a quality range of toiletries, and an iron and ironing board certainly added value.

The hotels bar had a good atmosphere - perhaps the music was a little loud for our liking - but the cocktails were awesome. A hotel worthy of its 5* rating. Thank you to Anthony Lee and his staff - see you again for sure!

2  Thank Cleary1978
MayFairHotel, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2011

Thank you for your feedback and I am absolutely delighted to learn how much you and your wife enjoyed your stay in celebration of your wife's birthday.
We hope to welcome you back on a future occasion when I would very much like to meet with you both personally.
With my warmest wishes,

Reviewed 17 November 2011

We stayed at the Mayfair 3 nights in November 2011 and it was really hard to leave this place. The location is one of the best for London.. close to Bond street, next to Green Park, 10 min from Piccadily Circus! The staff was really friendly despite being very busy. We really appreciate the breakfast and of course the amazing studio suite we had. The decoration was really well thinked and we didnt face any problem with the noise since they have a pretty nice bar downstairs. I would love to go back ! Higly recommanded!

1  Thank MamMax2009
MayFairHotel, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2011

Thank you for your feedback.
I was so pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your stay and its wonderful to hear such positive feedback.
We very much hope we will be able to welcome you back one day and in the meantime, I send you our warmest wishes.

Reviewed 16 November 2011

The May Fair hotel has a great location,a few minutes walk from Green Park station in close proximity to shopping and sights but still fairly quiet location.

Upon entering the hotel it was clear that The May Fair really tries to not let anyone waiting - lots of staff everywhere. Therefore a bit disappointed when room was not ready even when it was past check-in time. No real issue since I had a few errands to run but when returning I was surprised to find out that the bags had not been sent to my room as promised. After several more promises to have them sent up (and involving a lot of waiting for the bags) I had to go down and get the bags myself. Not really five star service.

The room was fairly big and had most things that I would expect from a hotel of this class. The bed and the chair was comfortable but slightly annoying that there is no proper desk in the room. Maybe it is a Rezidor (the chain that owns May Fair, the Radisson hotels and several other hotels) thing because I experienced similar things in some of their other London properties. The minibar was of the type where one is charged if moving something - not a major thing but not a favorite of mine. The TV reception was fairly poor which is also not what I expected at a hotel that aims to be top class.

The bathroom was very nice, large with bathtub and shower and still plenty of space left. I was however else a bit disappointed in the poor sound proofing of the rooms. I am not a light sleeper so did not at all disturb my sleep but I could hear every word of all the conversations the people in the room next door had (the rooms had a locked door in between them but should still put some effort on keeping the sound out).

So far I was not impressed by the hotel and the service but there were some redeeming features. Both the business center and the fitness center were very good. Both well equipped and kept clean and tidy.

The breakfast was also very good. Service here was really good - friendly, quick and efficient. The variety of both hot and cold food was good. Everything I had was also fresh and tasty. Only thing that I felt did not measure up was the coffee (but I do on the other hand virtually never find good coffee at any hotels - need to go to the specialty coffee places for that).

All in all I still grade at a 3 when I take the price paid into account. I managed to have a very good deal and that is what makes it still good enough.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 November 2011

I am a frequent traveller to the worlds best hotels, i often stay in London and frequent the Savoy, The Dorchester and the Lanesborough to name but a few. In the past year i have stayed at the May fair 9 or 10 times. This is the first time i have reviewed it on Tripadvisor.

like the May Fair, I like its modern edge, fantastic bar, good breakfast and a good pricing structure. However i do think there is vast room for improvement. The word i would use for the May Fair is inconsistent.

As one would expect i have stayed in so many different rooms at the Hotel, from beautiful suites that i couldn't fault, to terrible rooms more suited to a back street 3 star hotel, some rooms are well appointed and have great views, others are tiny spaces with a view of a stairwell, back alley, rubbish bins etc. The issue is that i have paid the same price for both rooms! I cannot guarantee that when i book at the Mayfair i will always get a good room (out of 10 stays i would say i have stayed in 3 good rooms, 7 bad)

I wish the hotel would reward me for my custom, remember my name, even a complimentary bottle of water wouldn't go a miss sometimes.

If this hotel were more consistent it would be one of the best in London, however, it is my opinion that with a plethora of new 4 star hotels opening in London soon, if the May Fair doesn't pick up it's game it will slide right down the trip-advisor ratings.

1  Thank JamieLansdell
MayFairHotel, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2011

Thank you for your feedback and for your kind compliments about the May Fair Bar and Breakfast.
I have taken note of your additional comments and would ask that you make contact with my office when you next plan to stay at The May Fair so I can personally ensure you are well looked after and perhaps have the chance of meeting you.
With regards to the complimentary water, I would like to assure you and other reviewers that water is given to all guests in their rooms as complimentary and replenished daily. I am just so sorry that on this occasion this was not the case and I will be following this up with my team.
I look forward to hearing from you and welcoming you back to The May Fair.
With my warmest wishes,

Reviewed 14 November 2011

We visit London at least once every year and for the past four visits have satyed at The May Fair. Going back next month for a fifth stay- our fist since we've been married, so looking forward to booking in as Mr& Mrs!

We have always booked a deluxe room- 3 times we've had the same room which has been fab! One day when I've made my millions I'll get a suite! Have still never had breakfast as we always book on hotels.com which doesn't seem to offer a B&B option.

Last time we arrived late on Friday night so ordered room service which was fast, tasty and reasonably priced. We have a late flight on our next visit so would have no hesitation ordering again!

This year we have stayed in the Jumeirah hotel in Dubai, a Centara resort in The Maldives, The lodge on Loch Lomond, a De Vere hotel, a 5 star hotel in Egypt, and a few others, and the only hotel we will be rushing back to is The May Fair.

If you want a convenient hotel, comfortable rooms, amazing beds, fab cocktails the choose The May Fair every time!

Room Tip: I would always go for a deluxe room (or better)- 2 years ago we went with my in-laws who booked a st...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
MayFairHotel, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2011

Thank you for your feedback and we are delighted to learn you will be staying with us again in December as husband and wife!
Please do let me my office know when you have made your reservation and I will personally ensure you are well taken care of.
With warmest wishes,

Reviewed 13 November 2011

Everything about this hotel is excellent. From the staff to the rooms, location, service the lot. I had some of my best sleeps here in London in my room which was very quiet and had the best bed linen. The bathroom was well appointed and the fittings perfect. Check in and out was very fast indeed and friendly, not something one expects in a London hotel. The welcome water is a nice touch was the abundance of apples. The hotels location to central London and the tubes makes this an obvious hotel to return to! Well Done

• Stayed: November 2011
MayFairHotel, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2011

Thank you for your feedback and I am thrilled to read such wonderful comments.
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay so much and thank you so much for your kind compliments about my team.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Until then, I send you my warmest wishes,

Reviewed 9 November 2011

Perfect hotel for Mayfair, St James and Green Park. Great for a number of well known restaurants as well as all the tourist spots and shops (inc. 3 Starbucks within easy walking distance). Very nice experience on check in. Have stayed before and it has felt a little impersonal but this seems to have improved - all the doormen, concierge guys etc. very chatty and helpful. Overall experience very modern and smart. Spacious, well appointed room at the back of the hotel which means that although you don't get any sort of view you do at least get a good night's sleep. This part of town has a few night-spots for the rich and famous so can get busy outside at the weekend. Hotel bar itself is one of the city's more fashionable places for a cocktail. Booked it via lastminute at a very reasonable rate so thought it represented excellent value. Only minor complaint is that they need to get more lifts!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
MayFairHotel, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2011

Thank you for your feedback and delighted to learn how much you enjoyed your stay and that you felt the service you received was now more personal. This is really wonderful to hear.
We very much hope to welcome you back on a future occasion and in the meantime, we all send our warmest wishes to you.