“Over Rated”
Review of The May Fair Hotel

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #220 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 May 2012

The May Fair hotel is not a bad hotel, but as a frequent traveller I feel this hotel is over rated. The room decor & televisions are out dated and the food at the hotel is mediocre.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Jordan F
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I was disappointed to read your comments and sorry that you feel this way. I have, however, taken your feedback on board.
I do hope we might have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The May Fair and if you do return, please let my office know won't you.
With best wishes,

Reviewed 22 May 2012

Thought I'd write an updated review as I have stayed here several times since I reviewed a few years ago. This is a nice hotel in a good location handy for bars, restaurants and theatres but the rooms can be very variable, even when booking the same room style. On my latest stay the wardrobe was a hanging rail inside the bathroom, there was no minibar in the room and the alarm clock must have been set by a previous guest as it went off at 6am on the first morning. Toiletries are large bottles attached to the wall which squirt too far when you try to use them. There was a bottle of water 'compliments of the Mayfair' which had been opened already. On the plus side the bed is always comfortable and my room overlooking the courtyard was quiet. They have free wireless internet which is still less common in hotels in the UK than you might expect. Staff were attentive and friendly. I'll continue to stay here as it's acceptable and is the preferred hotel for my company but there are other less expensive hotels in the area that are just as nice.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I was pleased to hear that you are happy with your overall stays here at the Hotel but have taken note of your additional comments and would like to thank you for this valuable feedback. I will certainly look into the points you have made.
I was sorry to hear about the water and the alarm clock. I will speak with my Executive Housekeeper about this and this is most certainly not acceptable.
All of our rooms have minibars and I am so sorry that you were unable to see this in your room.
We look forward to welcoming you back and I hope I will have the pleasure of meeting with you on your next stay.
With warmest wishes,

Reviewed 21 May 2012

I stayed at the May Fair with my husband for a few days of relaxation and sight seeing. The room was fantastic, very comfortable bed and nice decor. The hotel was very near the sights of central London so we could either walk or take a bus to anywhere we wanted. The only gripe we had was when we decided to try out the restaurant one evening- only once i'm afraid as we had a few bookings elsewhere, and happen to notice a female member of the waiting staff talking quite loud and brashly with other staff members and sneaking around on her mobile phone. I did not get her name but we felt this was very unprofessional, especially when we wanted a refill and could not get her attention. Apart from this we could not make another fault with the hotel. Would definitely stay again on our next London trip!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

Thank you for writing your review.
I was delighted to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your positive comments. I was extremely concerned to read your feedback about one of the team in our restaurant and please do be assured that this is something I will personally be following up on.
We do hope to welcome you back and in the meantime, I send you my best wishes.

Reviewed 20 May 2012

My husband and I booked this hotel for a quick anniversary escape and really enjoyed our stay. Very pleasant staff and spotless room with beautiful decor.

Since there were some local restaurants that we wanted to try, we did not get the chance to experience the May Fair's restaurants, but I do hope we can return soon and get a taste of what they've got to offer.

I would certainly stay here again.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I was delighted to learn how much you enjoyed your stay and we do hope to welcome you back so you can sample our Quince Restaurant or indeed our May Fair Bar.
Until then, I send you my warmest wishes,

Reviewed 19 May 2012

We stayed at the May Fair on a work related trip. The staff was attentive and very helpful. The room was spacious and well appointed. We did have some difficulty with the climate control in the room. It did not cool down much during the day. Fortunately it was cool outside so not a terrible thing. The location is very convenient. The excercise facility had far more than I would have expected in a space that was fairly small. On the whole, it is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide such positive feedback.
I am very pleased to hear your comments and would love to be able to accommodate you and your colleagues again for a future stay.
Until then, sending you our warmest wishes.

Reviewed 18 May 2012

We stayed at the May Fair for two nights over the bank holiday weekend. This was our second stay, and I took advantage of a complimentary room upgrade (superior to deluxe) that had been promised following an incident during our first visit a couple of years ago.

First impressions were good, the lady on reception was friendly and chatty and advised our room was ready on arrival around 3pm. The room at the back of the hotel was a bit smaller than the one we had at the front of the hotel last time, but was much quieter, which more than made up for it - I have a serious pet peeve with 5 star hotels where you can hear everything in the next room through connecting doors! The bed was very comfy, and there was a relatively good selection of TV channels, though I think it is time they invested in some more modern (and larger) TVs. The bathroom was clean and of a very good size - though my partner found it a bit frustrating that the hair dryer was located in the wardrobe area but there was nowhere to plug her hair straighteners in that was near a mirror.

Breakfast was very good. Staff were very attentive and the food was of good quality.

Location wise we found the hotel hard to beat as it is right near Green Park tube and within walking distance of the main shopping area.

On checkout I was attended to promptly and another member of staff (duty manager?) noted my preference for the quieter room for future visits which I thought was a nice touch. The only slight disappointment on leaving was that even with the hotel's discount card the NCP on Carrington Street (convenient but very run-down) charged us £64 for less than 48 hours parking which seemed a little steep in comparison to last time (half that amoun for a day longer) and is not consistent with what the hotel website says the price should be at £30 for 24 hours.

Taking everything into account though it was a good stay and the hotel went a long way towards remedying the issues we found on our first visit.

• Stayed: May 2012

Thank you for your wonderful comments.
I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and thank you for your positive feedback. It is great to hear that you feel that the service you recieved was a significant improvement from the last time you stayed.
I have taken note of your additional comments and will have my team look into the car park pricing.
We very much hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon
Kindest regards

Reviewed 17 May 2012

We stayed here recently having got a good deal including Theatre and breakfast overnight friendly staff nice twin room. We had a great time in London went to the theatre and were back at the hotel at a reasonable time however early hours of the morning we were woken by two guys and two girls screaming and laughing running up and down the fifth floor they fell into our bedroom door which was a bit frightening to be fair to one of the guys you could hear him trying to shut them up but this went on for at least half and hour and in the end I phoned reception who apologised and said they would send up security all was quiet and then they started again. You do not expect this when staying anywhere but the May Fair !! Breakfast next morning was great. Overall stay the staff were great nice room a shame a bout the drunken louts.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for you feedback.
I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your weekend with us. I would like to apologize personally for the disturbance you were caused by other residents. This is most unfortunate and I appreciate that this would have caused great concern given the time of night. As a 5* hote we do not tolerate disturbances of such sort and I thank you for reporting this. I am pleased to hear that our security team were able to help.
Thank you for the comments regarding our wonderful breakfast to finish your stay with us.
I hope to welcome you back to the May Fair in the near future.
Until then my warmest regards.