“What a wonderful experience, possibly the friendliest staff that I've come across.”
Review of The May Fair Hotel

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #225 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Could not fault our stay, everything was perfect from our smooth Check in to the cleanliness of the room. We popped out on the evening and found that our room had been attended to - even though we had only been there for a few hours.

The staff were incredibly friendly throughout the hotel, really couldn't fault them.

Location was perfect, walking distance to Bond St, Oxford St, Leicester Square & Covent Garden.

• Stayed: October 2012
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2012

Thank you for your kind review.
I was thrilled to read your comments and thank you so much for your kind compliments. I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and we very much hope to welcome you back again soon.
With my warmest wishes,
Anthony Lee

Write a ReviewReviews (4,859)

Reviewed 2 October 2012

I've stayed here on about 10 different occasions now so feel well qualified to review it. Whilst the May Fair is not cheap, and not perfect, I always want to stay there when in London.

It isn't for everybody. They definitely want to target a younger, trendier clientele, and it's popular with celebrities. Sylvester Stallone was in the reception last time we stayed. Its proximity to Nobu means there are always paparazzi outside - for me this adds to the glamour and excitement! If you don't like the loud music and flashy types in the bar you can always use the private hotel bar, Quince, which is more laid back. The decor is modern but sumptuous, and I really like the new toiletries. As soon as you walk into the lobby this gorgeous smell fills your nostrils - I would love to know what it is and make my house smell the same! The place feels special, but it's not traditional, if you prefer chintz and OTT decor go to the Ritz across the road! The staff are always fantastic as you would expect at a 5 star hotel.

Breakfast is now buffet style, which I found quicker and more convenient but some of the food, especially the potatoes, had been sitting out too long. There is a great choice available. Lovely muffins with yoghurt inside.

The location is also brilliant - one minute from Green Park, we often stay here to go to shows at the o2 as there is good jubilee line access. You are a stone's throw from Buckingham Palace so we also stayed when my husband ran the marathon. The theatre district is within walking distance and we can walk to out favourite restaurant, Gaucho from here. You can also take a lovely stroll up New Bond Street or the Burlington Arcade, gaze at the things you probably can't afford, and end up on Oxford Street within 10 minutes where everything is a bit more in your price range! To top it all off, Sainsbury's local, M&S food and Starbucks are all within a minute's walk, crucial if you don't want to pay the mini bar prices!

Why isn't it perfect? Well there's always something...this time the waitress in the bar couldn't tell us which of the sparkling wines were medium or dry, she just said 'they're the same.' When you're paying over £10 for a glass you need to know what you're going to get. Maybe a little more staff training in this area? I've also found that the rooms are so different in size and layout, it becomes quite hit and miss. Though they offer different room grades and prices when booking, the choice I make never seems to correspond with what I actually get. On one occasion when I booked an upgraded room we ended up with the smallest room we've ever had at the hotel, it didn't even have a bath. We were moved when we complained. Then when my mum checked in, she was given a huge room with a TV over the bath tub, yet she had booked a bog standard room. My advice would be to say something if you're not happy, it's a large hotel and you should be able to get a bigger room. The rooms don't really have views - it's not the right hotel if a view is important. On the plus side, we always seem to be able to check in early here (maybe that's why we seem to end up with a random standard of room?). The other thing I dislike are the loud, drunk men who smoke outside the main hotel doors (they are clients of the hotel's public May Fair bar). The hotel should do more to move them away from the entrance, it's intimidating when you have to walk through them to return to your room at night.

Unless anything changes for the worse, we'll stay here again and again when in central London.

Room Tip: The rooms vary a lot in shape and size, if you're not happy with yours, say something!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review.
I was delighted to hear that you always enjoy your stays with us and your comments are truly appreciated.
I have taken note of your additional feedback and there are certain points which I will be following up with my Director of Food and Beverage and my Head of Security so thank you for making me aware of this.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back to The May Fair soon and in the meantime, I send you my best wishes.

Reviewed 1 October 2012

Mayfair hotel review

This was my first time at this hotel and I was so looking forward to staying at this 5 star hotel.

On entering the hotel from doorman to reception and the bag man were so nice, friendly, considerate and helpful.  It was a special occasion for both myself and my partner . The room was  beautiful  (standard. The bed was to dream for and the ambience of the room was just so warming. The bathroom was modern and very clean and the bath and shower had abundance of hot water . The air con was user friendly and was very silent with no disturbances from noisy fans.
We had a great night with friends  and invited them back to our hotel bar for a night cap.
We ordered are drinks and I asked the waitress if I could pay cash as I wanted to make sure my hotel bill didn't get to big as I didn't have any more credit on my card. The waitress said she didn't want cash and wanted my room number . I persisted and kindly asked to pay cash. The waitress became quite aggressive and got very upset. She served our drinks and returned with a tall barman who became aggressive and demanded my room number . My friends left and our night was spoilt by these two individuals .
The breakfast was one of the best breakfasts I have ever had, the choice was fantastic but again the staff led us to our table and I had take cutlery from the next table to use with the great food. Overall this hotel I'd fantastic but spoilt by badly trained staff who really I found had no passion about theirjobs. Shame as The mayfair was the best comfortable hotel I have stayed in in 30 years.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jamconlu

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I was delighted to read how happy you were with your recent stay here at The May Fair but I was extremely concerned to read that some members of staff marred your visit.
This experience is totally unrepresentative of the service we strive to achieve here and I am just so sorry this was not the case for you.
I will be speaking with my Director of Food and Beverage for him to follow up with the team.
I do hope this will not deter you from returning to The May Fair as we would be delighted to welcome you back on a future occasion when I would also like to meet with you personally.

Reviewed 1 October 2012

We arrived at the hotel for one night, about 11.30am & were pleased to find we could check in early, water & fruit on desk was a nice touch. We were given room 811 which was pleasant enough & clean but very basic with a view over the other rooms at the back (our travelling companions were given 365 (no view at all) allthough this wasn't a problem for us as we would not be spending too much of our break looking out of the window! The TV didn't work but was fixed while we were out. We used the hotel bar after seeing a show which was expensive as expected but had a nice atmosphere, I didn't have a cocktail but as all the tables were taken, we sat in bar area & watched them being made - all with fresh fruit & looked very nice. We returned to the room intending to have a coffee before bed but was dissapointed to find the maid had cleared our cups away & not replaced them. The breakfast was a shambles! we were told the restaraunt was full but we could eat breakfast in the bar, as soon as we got in we were asked our room number, both of our rooms had the wrong name & we were told we didn't pay for breakfast which we had, I asked for toast as I am a vegetarian I intended to have this with eggs, however by the time it arrived the rest of my party had finished eating & there was no egg left! there was no choice of egg just scrambled anyway which was cool when it eventually arrived. We also ordered coffeee which didn't arrive until we had finished eating, this was well presented with a chocolate but i would have given this extra touch up for them to spend time getting the main breakfast organised! On checkout we were overcharged by £150 allthough this was soon sorted out as we had the booking e mails, I must say the hotel is in a great location & I presume this is what you are paying for as the hotel itself did not live up to our expectations.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I extremely disappointed to read about your stay and I must say the service and standards you experienced is most certainly not representative of The May Fair and I am just so sorry that this was not the case during your visit.
I will certainly be following up your feedback with the departments concerned and I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention.
I do hope this will not deter you from returning to the Hotel as I would really like you to experience the The May Fair as one should. Should you return, please do let my office know as I would be delighted to meet with you personally.

Reviewed 30 September 2012

I stayed here Saturday 29th September with my wife.We have stayed here previously and again we were impressed.We selected this hotel for the location and obviously it is so easy to get to the shops and the theatre.

Check in was quick and easy However I don't know why the £100 swipe of the card is necessary as pre charging my card is fine. I don't know whetheer this has been refunded now either!!!
I understand that they need to swipe it but to charge it and then not confirm it has been refunded EXPLAIN this please?

Nice sized room.Very clean and comfortable bed with lots of spare bedding
The back of the hotel is definitely better and a higher floor.BUT the lifts are a lottery.5 minutes wait for a lift meant walking up the stairs was easier.

Breakfast was plentiful but the service was poor.We waited and then waited for someone to ask if we wanted tea or coffee .Eventually the waitress came along.....then we had to wait for the milk
The tiny tables are too small and the chairs feel like you are sat on the floor.
There is not any help from the staff to understand what is available to order.
The plate were wedged in a corner and very inaccessible
No bread for toast and no butter ANOTHER wait.
The food at the self service is plentiful but the chef was somewhat nonchalant when asked for something Freshly cooked
Overall the breakfast was a let down from our previous visit.I suggest you go to breakfast early
Ask for coffee 10-15 miuntes before you want it .Or demand the server action a request not just carry on clearing tables
The fruit near the lifts was a good touch.
THe Mayfair Bar gets packed but worth the bit of a scramble

Book here for convenience of location and clean contemporary rooms No real soap though only liquid fastened to the wall

Room Tip: Highest floor but remember you will have to use the stairs if you are in a rush
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank triptripping_11
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2012

Thank you for your review.
I am glad you enjoyed your overall stay with us and thank you for your additional comments which I will of course take on board and follow up with my Director of Food and Beverage.
With regards to the preauthorisation of your card. This is done on arrival for all our guests and is for any additional expenses incurred during your stay with us. This amount is not actually taken from your account, it is held as a preauthorisation. The money will then be released 4 to 5 working days after your departure.
We do hope to welcome you back to The May Fair and in the meantime, I send my best to you.

Reviewed 27 September 2012

Stayed at the Mayfair on business for four nights and everything was great. Check-in was quick, room was very large and comfortable with all the modern amenities. Bed super comfortable. Coffee and tea making facilites in the room.

Food in the hotel was great, but price point is quite high. Ordered room service and it was prompt. Breakfast in the cafe was great. Preferred the a la carte options versus the steep price for the buffet.

Bathroom was spacious, and shower was great. Only complain I have is that there is no conditioner provided and all the products are in bottles that are attached to the wall, which I don't find very convenient for use. But, this is very minor.

Staff were very helpful and the concierge was fantastic. The location is in the heart of Mayfair and walking to distance to SoHo, Covent Garden, and all major places in the West End. Could not be happier to be able to do that at the end of long working days -- ability to step out and walk to great places for a bite to eat.

I am not giving the property 5 stars in my rating because I think the price point is really high. Also, while everything was very comfortable and great, the hotel was missing an ingredient that for me -- that extra level of "special" in terms of atmosphere and experience -- to give it the highest rating.

Would I recommend it? The answer is yes.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your review and I was pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us.
Thank you also for your feedback which I will always take constructively. This is most appreciated.
We do hope to welcome you back on a future occasion.

Reviewed 27 September 2012

Overall my stay at the May Fair Hotel in London was quite good. The room was comfortable although small, and the bathroom was very small, and no shelf for toiletries, but the shower worked very well, and the hotel has a very nice gym and spa, a good restaurant and lobby bar and has solid security and a terrific central London location.

The one small draw back was facing the street where there are bars and restuarants open until 2am or later. The sound traveled up into the room on the 3rd floor so stay on a higher floor.

The staff are well trained and professional, and by London standards were fairly friendly and approachable. They have a solid welcome staff from bellman and door men, through to the front office staff and concierge.

Room Tip: I didn't know they had a pool. Chose a room on any upper floor and try not to face Stratton Str...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Tom A
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2012

Thank you for your review and I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall stay at The May Fair. I have taken on board your feedback and would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention.
I was sorry to hear you were disturbed by the noise outside of the Hotel and as you suggest, please do let our Receptionist know, and they will allocate you a room on a higher floor or a room on the other side of the Hotel.
We do hope to welcome you back soon and until then, I send you my best wishes,