“Great location and enjoyable stay!”
Review of The May Fair Hotel

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #222 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 7 January 2013

I stayed at The May Fair in December while visiting London with my partner and his mother to see the new musical The Bodyguard. While we were checking in, I turned around to see Sally Gunnell standing directly behind me in the queue - good to know that the hotel is the choice of some celebrities. Our room was ready immediately, despite us being early and we were given the choice of two rooms. Both were really spacious, well appointed and very clean. It had everything we needed for our stay and the bed was very comfortable. This is our second stay at this hotel and we will certainly be back. The nice thing about the hotel is that it's a stone's throw from everywhere in London and the standards are consistent. There's always a lovely aroma of fresh lilies in the reception/lobby when you arrive too - very welcoming. We'll be back.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2013

Thank you for your review.
I was so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your comments, they are a pleasure to read.
We do hope to welcome you back soon.
With kind regards,

Reviewed 6 January 2013

Generally we had a nice stay in the hotel. The staff on check in were extremely helpful and helped me to my room.

We were given a lovely room to stay in - unfortunately we had to move on our first night - there was a function on in the hotel and the music was incredibly loud. When the bell boy came to help us move he said this was a common occurrence. We were moved to another room which was nice but unfortunately not as nice as our first room.

Breakfast the next morning was lovely - but we were placed in the salon. It was so hot!!

As you walk through reception you are knocked out by the smell of air freshener - similar to what you get in hotels in Vegas. This was really overpowering and not pleasant at all.

And finally - you MUST get the lifts sorted out. Most days we just gave up trying to get the lift and walked down the six flights of stairs. Not a problem for healthy, mobile people but what a nightmare if you can't make it down the stairs!

The location of the hotel was very good and our stay wasn't all bad but I suppose I was just expecting more from this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ManchesterTravelgirl
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2013

Thank you for your review.
I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. I was sorry to hear of the noise disturbance you experienced and for the inconvenience of having to move rooms. Please do accept my personal apologies for this.
I have taken note of your additional feedback and this is something I will be following up with the departments concerned.
We do hope to welcome you back on a future occasion.

Reviewed 6 January 2013 via mobile

I had stated at the May Fair 18 months ago on a last minute hotel deal and loved it , we enjoyed a deluxe king room , the room had character windows and was very spacious , very comfortable bed. On this occasion I booked well in advance for NYE with an Internet rate. On arrival the service was excellent , I was slightly disappointed by the room it was very boxy and had a Squeaky bed ! The bathroom was very nice but chipped paint work around the storage areas .

We ventured out for the evening and just caught seeing the new year in at the hotel bar, i remember it as being pretty cool - let's just say this year , plenty of ladies with their minders jostling for pole position with single or groups of men.

We couldn't get the temperature right in the room at all so glad I bought some decent nightwear !

Breakfast is good - at 25.00 a head there is a decent Buffet - the service is fairly good , however did have to stack used plates etc on empty table next to us as the wait to clear tables was a long one , mainly due to a busy restaurant .

The nice touch was champagne served in the reception area.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank VBurts

Thank you for your review.
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall stay here at The May Fair in celebration of New Years Eve. Thank you also for your constructive feedback, I am grateful to you for bringing this to my attention.
We do hope we will have another opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 5 January 2013

We had afternoon tea at the May Fair a few days before Christmas. We had a very enjoyable experience overall. The food was good, particularly the sandwiches (which kept coming), as was the tea (although the selection was a little limited). We also enjoyed excellent service from our waiter, Mostafa, who even asked whether it was a special occasion and proceeded to present a birthday "platter" for one of our party when we said it was.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2013

Thank you for your review.
I was so pleased to hear you had an enjoyable afternoon tea here at The May Fair and would like to thank you for your kind comments. I am pleased to hear Mostafa looked after you so well and recognised the special occasion.
With my best wishes,

Reviewed 4 January 2013

I booked the Penthouse Suite for Dec 31st to watch the fireworks from the Terrace with my young family & a gathering of friends, rather than battling the crowds in central london. The view was fantastic & the accommodation very comfortable and Lavish. The bedrooms and lounge ooze luxury and opulence, and the suite in itself is extremely spacious. I loved the fact that there was a modern touch to the room with its B&O AV kit, mood lighting & stunning fireplace!

On the negative side, I held a dinner party for 10 guests, and all my guests selected their food options from the Penthouse private dining menu, but when I emailed the hotel with these food choices, I was told that the chef will not be able to accommodate our request, despite giving the hotel 6 days notice. Therefore all 10 guests had to have the same starter, main course & dessert. The food was good, but the experience was boring, because 10 of us were eating the same meal. The one thing, or rather, one person, who made it all better was Ganesh. Our operations manager for the event. He was Beyond fantastic & deserves a special mention. He made the whole experience better with his amazing attention to detail & Cutomer service. he was nice enough to accompany all my guests and get us free entry into the Mayfair bar at around 1:30am. His gestures were enough to make me sideline the food issue. But what shocks me is how a five star hotel cannot cope with a simple request of catering 10 different meals. That left me with the embarrassing task of letting my guests know that They couldn't have the meals that they had already chosen.

I always tip staff Generously, but the guy who came to take my wife's dress for dry cleaning, was badgering me for a tip, Before he took the dress away, complaining about the queues at laundry. He acted very unprofessionally.

Overall, the hotel is beautiful, the Quality food is very good, (although the room service menu can be expanded on a bit more), and considering how expensive the penthouse suite is, it would be nice if breakfast was included in the price, that being said, The price of breakfast is very reasonable for a 5 star hotel & not a rip off like most other London hotels. I will most certainly stay here again, and a lot of that credit goes to Ganesh.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your review and thank you for choosing The May Fair to celebrate New Years Eve!
I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your overall stay but so sorry to hear about the dinner party and the food orders. I will certainly be following this up with my Executive Chef and would like to offer you my personal apologies for the inconvenience caused to you and your guests but to also thank you for bringing this to my attention. I was also sorry to hear of the attitude of one of our members of staff, this is certainly not representative of the standards of service we strive to achieve here.
Thank you for your kind compliments about Ganesh and please be assured I will pass on your kind comments to him.
With my warmest wishes,

Reviewed 4 January 2013

The location is excellent. Everything is close. Premises are fancy. Service is good. Pricing on the upper range. But there are also other options for accommodation close-by. This is one of the best hotels in Mayfair area.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 2 January 2013

I stayed here for a few days during the month of December 2012. The location is excellent, near to designer shops and restaurants.

Upon arrival, I was pleased with the image of the place but not with the terrible scent in reception, they appear to blow air freshener through the vents and far too much as you can taste it in your mouth!

Check in was painless and the staff were helpful.

The website states that there are power showers in the rooms, the shower in my room wasn't very powerful....

The bar and cigar lounge upstairs is excellent, kept nice and cosy with fires and blankets. There was a live singer and the staff were very good.

Lose the air freshener, it's not cool..!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Waitrosegirl
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2013

Thank you for your review and I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall stay with us. Thank you for your kind compliments.
I have taken note of your additional comments and I would like to thank you for bringing this feedback to my attention.
We do hope to welcome you back soon.