“Average at best”

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #212 of 1,089 Hotels in London
“Average at best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013 via mobile

The hotel rooms have limited lighting & are not very well laid out. The front desk is also not very attentative. At night I could here the other guests walking past my bedroom door, waking me & I am not typically a light sleeper. Would not recommend this to my friends - it may be where celebs stay, however if you want substance over style, them try somewhere else.

Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Michael B
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 28 January 2013
Thank you for your review.
I was so sorry to hear you had a less than enjoyable stay with us and I would like to take this opportunity to offer you my personal apologies.
I will certainly be following up on your feedback and thank you for taking the time to advise me of this.
We do hope you will change your mind and stay with us again as I would really like you to experience The May Fair as one should.
In the meantime, I send you my best wishes,
Anthony Lee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (523)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2013

We are going back. We couldn't be happier with our experience at the May Fair. The rooms are spacious, bathrooms up to date and beautiful. Very clean. The concierge very helpful and pleasant. And enough cannot be said about the location. Truly convenient and steps away from major tourist points, while at the same time located in a quiet street. We truly cannot wait to go back. Thank you!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your review.
I was delighted to hear you had such a pleasant stay with us and your compliments are greatly appreciated.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2013

It all started making a decision of travelling to London for business. I called the hotel directly for booking and from the other side of the phone this friendly voice greeted me and her name was Ipek. She introduced herself as she is the guest relations manager. The procedures at the hotel was very smooth and friendly environment. At the check-in, reception team was very helpful, they told me that my room was not ready yet but they allocated me to another room immediately. The restaurant where they serve breakfast had many variety of choices. The waitress called Denise, she was very lovely and pleasant. I met Ipek at the reception the next day and she made sure that I made the right decision to come and stay at the May Fair Hotel. I can recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a five star hotel experience.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Walter1905
Thank you for your kind review.
I was so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your wonderful compliments about Ipek, which I will be sure to pass on.
We do hope to welcome you back again soon.
Stevenage, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2013

A mixed bag.

Arrived at hotel and was met by very friendly and attentive receptionist and was checked in with no problems. Our room wasn't quite ready yet which was no problem as we were an hour early. As we were going to the theatre we asked that our baggage be taken to our room when it was ready so it would be there when we returned. Upon returning from the theatre we entered our room (studio suite) and where very impressed with the size and style but unfortunately no bags! I then went down and managed to establish they were in a storage room and got them myself, not the greatest of starts.

I booked a table in the hotel bar for 11pm and we had a great night in there, very impressive bar and drinks and good atmosphere. We then went to the casino next door and returned to our room around 6am.

Having booked a weekend package that included a late checkout till 4pm we looked forward to a nice lay in. This wasnt to be! Our suite was situated directly infront of a service entrance so every trolley or room service that was delivered banged throught the double doors opposite us. Then from 10am onwards despite having the do not disturb sign switched on we were woken up and interrupted 4 times, once by a knock on the door at 10am and 3 times by maids/staff actually opening the door to our room. I then received a call around 2.30pm again waking us up and was asked why we hadnt checked out yet and I explained about the package and was said I should still have made reception aware that we were going to be making use of our late checkout. Surely it would be the staff's job to inform us of this policy not the other way round?

By this point we were exhausted but decided to have a quick wash and pack to leave, I decided to quickly make use of the bath and my g-friend the shower. Just as I had sat down in the bath the hotel fire alarms started going off so I jumped out and got ready to get out. My girlfriend rang reception and was infomed it was a drill but it would have been nice to have some warning. Ironically a few mins after the alarm a message flashed up on our in room TV saying there would be a fire alarm test at 3pm :)

Not sure if I would stay again as for the amount payed you would expect things to be a lot closer to perfect.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris M
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 25 January 2013
Thank you for your review.
I was so sorry to read your comments and I would like to take this opportunity of offering you my personal apologies for the noise and disturbances you experienced on the morning of your stay. I completey understand how frustrating this must have been for you both and I am just so sorry for your experience.
I do hope you will return to The May Fair and if you do return, please do let Reception know the allocation of your room on your last stay and they will in turn allocate you one of our quieter rooms. Perhaps I might also have the pleasure of meeting with you.
Until then, I send you my best wishes,
notts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

We stayed at The May Fair for a couple of nights before Christmas and booked through last minute. We got a good deal with it being a Top Secret hotel on last minute and I guessed it was The May Fair from the description. We have stayed here before, about 4 years ago for a birthday treat and we had a really nice time and fond memories of the hotel. The recent visit was a big let down. On arrival, we struggled through the front doors with cases, no-one helped. The first room we were given looked like the previous occupant had only just left (towels on the floor, used glasses on the side, unmade bed, full bin) it was horrid. We were moved to a supposedly upgraded room at the front of the hotel which was a lot smaller but at least it was clean! No mirror in the bedroom though which seemed odd?

The only positives for this hotel are its location and breakfast in the room was very nice (and cheaper than going downstairs?)

Overall, i didn't feel that we got the 5 star experience we were expecting and I'm not sure why. Would I stay again....only if I got a very good deal maybe.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tognir
Thank you for your review which I was concerned to read.
I was so sorry to hear you had a disappointing stay with us and I would like to take this opportunity of offering you my personal apologies. I will certainly be following up your feedback with my team and would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention.
If you do stay with us again, please do let my office know won't you.
With my best wishes,
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

Again another great stay from start to finish I have stayed on floors 5,6,8 so far and I prefer 6 as the rooms I have had here seem to be bigger although this could be luck. Also had the nice touch of noting at some point with the booking it was the girlfriend birthday and both the check-in desk and then later the porter wished her a happy birthday. The Mayfair bar is nice expensive but you expect that at some points can be a little loud for conversation but you can always pop in to the other bar Quince which is quieter and the service is good with the staff remembering you drinks.

Room Tip: stayed on floor 5,6,8 so far and i prefer 6 as the rooms I have had here seem to be bigger although...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind review.
I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us in celebration of your girlfriend's birthday! Your comments are a real pleasure to read.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Carlow, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

Initially got off to a bad start at the hotel. I had booked a deluxe room, but when I arrived at the room my heart sank. It was half the size off what I expected. And the bathroom was also smaller. I was very disappointed. I was only in the room 5 minutes when the reception rang and asked me if I was happy with my room. When I expressed my disappointment, she informed me that it was because I had requested a smoking room and the balcony took up half the floor space. Because I had quit smoking the week before I asked her if it was possible to go into a non smoking room.. Absolutely no problem. When I arrived at the new room I was delighted. It was exactly what was on the Internet photo and as was described. Couldn't have been happier. The rest of the stay was great. Breakfast every morning was superb. My only gripe was with the evening meal. The bar restaurant wasn't to my taste and the quince restaurant's menu was also not to my taste. But this was purely a personal thing and I'm sure other users were perfectly happy with the choice. But there wasn't a problem as there are plenty of places to eat nearby. Would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

Room Tip: Don't go for a smoking room. They are not value for money.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review.
I was so pleased to hear you were happy with the second room you occupied and Reception looked after you.
I was sorry to hear that our menus were not to your taste. We are currently reviewing the menu offering in Quince and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back on a future occasion so you can sample this.
With my best wishes,