“Average hotel at best”

Ranked #212 of 1,069 Hotels in London
New York
“Average hotel at best”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I checked in yesterday, and have 2 more days to go. I've not been impressed so far.

While there are doormen present at the doors, I've had to open the door myself 2 of the 3 times I've been through the doors. Not a good sign.

Front desk was accomodating enough, we arrived early as we had checked out from another hotel, and they let us check into our room. Let's say while I believe that I did reserve a double, this room is SMALL. The bathroom barely fit two people, if we shuffled between the two of us. And the door doesn't open properly if you put the floormat where it actually should be to step out of the shower.

Within 5 minutes of us checking in - the doorbell rung and a woman with a clipboard came by asking when we were leaving - clearly miscommunication between whoever is checking rooms and the front desk.

They call us 10 minutes later out of the blue and ask how the service and room was. If I had known they were going to call, I would have prepared a list for them, but as it was so unexpected, and we were trying to settle in - we just wanted them off the phone and said it was fine. They should tell you at the front deks that they will be following up in a few minutes after you arrive to make sure everything is to your satisfaction.

The room is small - let's talk detail - the tv is in the wardrobe, taking up half the wardrobe. Underneath the tv is the minibar, where if you touch a thing, they will charge you. Next ot he minibar is the tea set. The tea set sits on top of a drawer that rolls out, but due to the way the wardrobe doors are - it doesn't roll out - leaving for a very awkward trying to plug the hotpot in while it's steaming in the drawer. Also no teapot to brew tea - and selection of tea is poor.

There is no hanging space - we were able to hang 6 things up between the two of us, not enough for the 3 nights stay so we will be rotating our clothing throughout the stay - that's sort of ridiculous. They doe have a trouser press in the room - which is pretty cool.

The bathroom has no outlets for females, only a shaver plug - and the only outlets in the room are by the door on the floor, at the desk (not near a mirror), or in the closet (where you can't see the mirror because the wardrobe needs to be open). Overall - not planned out well.

Bathroom toiletries - I know it's great to be eco conscious, and I applaud that, but I didn't bring lotion because I count on the hotel having lotion. It is the most annoying thing whne I wish to lotion myself while in bed, and need to walk to the bathroom to do so. I am also not pleased that I cannot bring a small lotion in my purse, as there isn't one available. I feel for that price, I should get toiletries. You may have them in the room, and let the guests choose if they wish to use, but to take that option away is silly.

The bathroom was so small it is just the sink base, with no space to put any of my toiletries. Overall, this room feels like it was an afterthought.

And to top it off - the AC makes an annoying noise during the night, and whoever was near us - it sounded like their door bell was going off the entire night.

Not pleased. I'll speak with the front desk when I get back and see if any of this is resolved.

And for the price, I can't believe the sauna and steam aren't included. I expected that to be part of the gym when I chose the hotel.

Don't stay in room 748.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank goliathslw
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Thank you for your review which I was extremely disappointed to read.
I am so sorry for your experience so far and please do accept my personal apologies. May I ask that you make contact with our Front of House Manager, Botho Stein, who I know will assist you with your concerns in order to ensure you enjoy the remainder of your stay.
With my warmest wishes,
Inderneel Singh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (550)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed at The May Fair for a weekend shopping trip. The most impressive thing about it was the friendly helpful staff. We arrived early expecting to leave our bags and go elsewhere, we were delighted to be given an early check in. Our room was spacious and comfortable, very quiet and the bedding was super cosy. There were nice little extras such as cotton wool in the bathroom for removing makeup (something I always seem to forget) slippers and bathrobes. The location is ideal for walking to Old Bond Street, Regent St etc. we dined at Le Caprice restaurant which was a stones throw from the hotel and very nice
. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 204 which was spacious and quiet
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear Kay,
Thank you for your review.
I was so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your kind compliments about the team here. They were a pleasure to read.
We do hope to welcome you back again very soon.
Redhead
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We arrived at 7.30AM after a long flight from Sydney, Australia via Singapore so felt we had no hope of our room being ready at such an early hour.

However, recepetion was expecting us and they advised that, while our room was not quite ready, it would be soon. We were advised to make ourselves comfortable in the restaurant, have some breakfast, relax and they would let us know immediately the room was ready for us.

And, this is exactly what happened. They couldn't do enough for us so after we had a delicious breakfast we were given our room keys by the excellent older lady receptionist and went to our room where our luggage was waiting for us.

We had another night here before commencing our three-week Scenic land tour of England, Wales, Ireland and Scotland then again prior to our two-week European River cruise.

The May Fair sticks in our mind from that five-week trip due to the excellent service we received and the fine rooms.

We would definitely go back there - an added bonus is that it is quite near to the tube, bus transport as well as parks, Buckingham Palace etc. Very centrally located indeed.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the lifts make it much easier as the rooms we had were somewhat of a walk from them...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review.
I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your kind compliments.
We do hope to welcome you back soon.
With best wishes,
Inderneel Singh General Manager
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

First and last stay at the Mayfair. Starting at check-in where the trainee is nice but asks you 100 questions, including all your details "so we can identify you next time you come (!)" then signing some disclaimers on a little machine and finally getting your key. On 3 days i probably spent 1 full hour cumulated waiting for the elevators.... Room 468 is not so large and that would be ok if the bed's base was not larger than the mattress: the sharp angles of the base are hidden under the thick bed cover and after hitting it three times i am home with a bruised calf. For some typically british safety reasons the hairdryer is attached inside a drawer by the entrance door....
Yes the location is great and very central, the breakfast is nice (even if you have to declare your room number, wait for a little paper, and then, even if the bfast was included get a bill and told "just a formality" ....but this is NOT an excuse to charge close to 400£ for a night.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Marie G
Dear Marie,
Thank you for your review.
May I start by offering you my personal apologies that we did not live up to your expectations and I am just so sorry for this. I will certainly take your comments on board and follow them up with the Heads of Department concerned.
I do hope you will return and stay with us again so you can experience the Hotel as one should and if you do return, please do let my office know so I may have the pleasure of perhaps meeting you.
essex
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I really wanted to write a nice review for the Mayfair Hotel but unfortunately it didn't live up to expectations.
We arrived and staff are very nice and friendly and we found this to be the case throughout our stay.
Our room was nice and we did have strawberrys and chocolate dip waiting for us, then things went downhill. The shower leaked all over the floor and we had to use all our towels to mop this us, so we had to ask for extra towels. It made it awkward to get ready in the bathroom as the tiles are very slippery when wet. We had a tv in the bathroom which though it worked you could not turn down and it was set very very loud. There is no shaving mirror in the bathroom so shaving and putting on makeup was very difficult as the mirror was quite far away from where you have to stand near the basin. The hairdryer was awful and the mirror in the wardrobe was very dark so you could not see what you was doing.
We booked a weekend package which should have included unlimited free film package this has now been taken off but they have not changed it on the website so it is misleading.
We did get 20% off our bill but when you are paying a lot for a room it still doesn't make much of a difference. They did offer to give us a better room next time but I don't really think there will be a next time!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jellybaby1234
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Thank you for your review and I was disappointed to read that your expectations were not met and please do accept my personal apologies for this. I will certainly follow up on your points and would like to thank you for taking the time to make me aware of this.
Thank you for your compliments about the team here, this is very much appreciated.
We do hope you will return to stay with us and if you do return, may I ask that you make my office aware of your booking, so I can perhaps have the pleasure of meeting with you.
UAE
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Rooms very spacious although I did ask for non smoking but the room smelt badly of smoke. They did move me and were apologetic but it took a little time. Room very large for london and the location is great. Breakfast in the a la carte was excellent, maybe a little expensive but still good. Check in and out was slow for the lobby always seems very busy, the staff try hard to express you through but its one of the areas they need to work on. The bar is nice and very busy with a good atmosphere. Nice property and worth considering.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dear Iain,
Thank you for your review and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall stay with us. Thank you also for your constructive feeback which I will certainly follow up on.
We do hope to have the pleasre of welcoming you back soon.
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

Having booked a hotel in the very last minute at lastminute.com we were thrilled by the amount of time and effort the receptionist staff (Lorant) spent finding us a room that we were happy with. Fantastic room service! Wonderful bathroom. Very pleased stay.
P.S. Fantastic complimentary apples everywhere.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Оксана Д
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Thank you for your review.
I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your wonderful compliments about Lorant.
We do hope to welcome you back very soon.
With warmest wishes,