“Relax at the May Fair”

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #213 of 1,068 Hotels in London
“Relax at the May Fair”
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have just returned from another fabulous stay the The May Fair. The hotel is a fantastic base in the heart of Mayfair. We were lucky enough to be upgraded and enjoyed the benefit of the Nespresso Machine. The Bar has a great atmosphere and drinks were fab. We hope to return again soon

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Thank you for your kind review.
I was so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your kind compliments.
Inderneel Singh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (550)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chipperfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

Clean, well appointed rooms. Loved the scales in the bathroom. Booked the room through last minute.com secret hotels and am very happy. Great location for shopping and strolling through London. Only improvement we've found so far would be the strawberries dipped in chocolate. I know it's not the right season but they were puny-not seen the price yet. We were given a choice of 6 or 12-don't give a choice. Great hotel apart from this minor point.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you also for your additional feedback which has of course been noted.
We very much hope to welcome you back very soon.
With best wishes,
Wantage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We had a wonderul champagne afternoon tea to celebrate my 70th birthday in the Quince restaurant! The food was tasty and beautifully presented and all the staff were very attentive. The little cake with a lighted candle given to me on a plate decorated with Happy 70th Birthday in chocolate was a lovely surprise. Mostafa our waiter for the day very kindly took some photos for us on his own camera and emailed them to me. Thank you Mostafa.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Judith,
Thank you for your review and I was delighted to hear how much you and your party enjoyed your birthday celebrations in Quince.
I was so pleased to also how hear how well Mostafa looked after you and I will of course pass on your compliments to him.
York
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Pretty poor value for money. There wasn't anything in the room to welcome us and limited (poor quality) tea and coffee. No nibbles apart from a notice in the mini bar politely informing us that we would be charged immediately if anything lifted out. So incredibly noisy at night from the bar downstairs. Rang reception and they put me through to a voicemail to talk to someone about it. Had no call about this even though you have my contact details. Expected so much more from both the hotel and for the price paid. Stayed in far better hotels for less money and made to feel more welcome. Offered a free upgrade if staying again (seems to be standard) but not really in a hurry to go back and experience it again. To top it all off, was charged twice on two different cards for me stay. Breakfast is another £30 each even after paying £270 for a room for 1 night… I rarely complain and this is my first trip advisor review but just so disappointed by the whole thing.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear Anna,
Thank you for your review and I was really concerned to hear you were unhappy with your stay and please do firstly accept my personal apologies for this.
If you would be so kind as to make contact with our Front of House Manager, Botho Stein, who would really like to discuss your concerns with you in more detail.
Thank you Anna and I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcomning you back to The May Fair once again when I will personally ensure you have a most enjoyable stay with us.
With my warmest wishes,
Istanbul
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

I came to London for a conference which was held in O2 Centre. My first option was the local hotels but as I was surfing for hotel booking, I came a cross with Mayfair hotel and price was a bargain for a five star hotel. I called the hotel to inform them my early arrival and requested early check in. I was very satisfy with the service and how all the staff was very friendly and welcoming. I met Ms zeynep Ipek from guest relations. She is a brilliant lady who knows exactly how to treat a guest and she makes every individual very special. My stay was great at this lovely property. Everything was perfection from the location to the service.
I am glad I made the right decision to stay at this hotel. Next time I will definitely stay at this hotel.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mehmet1975
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Mehmet,
Thank you so much for your kind review.
I am so pleased we met your expectations and thank you for your kind comment about Ipek. I will be sure to pass this on.
Ireland
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed at the May Fair the last weekend in October (25 - 27) and it was wonderful. After having read stories of noise issues we were delighted to have a lovely quiet room on the 7th floor. From the moment we arrived at the door, the concierge team were always on hand should we need them. Check in and out were painless and our entire stay we found the staff exceptionally helpful.
We did not have breakfast either day but dined in Quince on our last night. While the menu was a bit fussy for me, my mother loved it and the food was delicious. The Quince staff were also brilliant and the maitre' d was a star, making us feel very welcome.
The location is perfect for either walking or taking the tube to Oxford/Regent Streets and the wonderful Fortnum and Mason is just around the corner and down the street, who could ask for more? Would definitely stay again when I have the chance. Thank you

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and got one on the 7th floor
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your review and I am delighted to hear you both enjoyed your stay with us.
Your compliments were a pleasure to read.
New York
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I checked in yesterday, and have 2 more days to go. I've not been impressed so far.

While there are doormen present at the doors, I've had to open the door myself 2 of the 3 times I've been through the doors. Not a good sign.

Front desk was accomodating enough, we arrived early as we had checked out from another hotel, and they let us check into our room. Let's say while I believe that I did reserve a double, this room is SMALL. The bathroom barely fit two people, if we shuffled between the two of us. And the door doesn't open properly if you put the floormat where it actually should be to step out of the shower.

Within 5 minutes of us checking in - the doorbell rung and a woman with a clipboard came by asking when we were leaving - clearly miscommunication between whoever is checking rooms and the front desk.

They call us 10 minutes later out of the blue and ask how the service and room was. If I had known they were going to call, I would have prepared a list for them, but as it was so unexpected, and we were trying to settle in - we just wanted them off the phone and said it was fine. They should tell you at the front deks that they will be following up in a few minutes after you arrive to make sure everything is to your satisfaction.

The room is small - let's talk detail - the tv is in the wardrobe, taking up half the wardrobe. Underneath the tv is the minibar, where if you touch a thing, they will charge you. Next ot he minibar is the tea set. The tea set sits on top of a drawer that rolls out, but due to the way the wardrobe doors are - it doesn't roll out - leaving for a very awkward trying to plug the hotpot in while it's steaming in the drawer. Also no teapot to brew tea - and selection of tea is poor.

There is no hanging space - we were able to hang 6 things up between the two of us, not enough for the 3 nights stay so we will be rotating our clothing throughout the stay - that's sort of ridiculous. They doe have a trouser press in the room - which is pretty cool.

The bathroom has no outlets for females, only a shaver plug - and the only outlets in the room are by the door on the floor, at the desk (not near a mirror), or in the closet (where you can't see the mirror because the wardrobe needs to be open). Overall - not planned out well.

Bathroom toiletries - I know it's great to be eco conscious, and I applaud that, but I didn't bring lotion because I count on the hotel having lotion. It is the most annoying thing whne I wish to lotion myself while in bed, and need to walk to the bathroom to do so. I am also not pleased that I cannot bring a small lotion in my purse, as there isn't one available. I feel for that price, I should get toiletries. You may have them in the room, and let the guests choose if they wish to use, but to take that option away is silly.

The bathroom was so small it is just the sink base, with no space to put any of my toiletries. Overall, this room feels like it was an afterthought.

And to top it off - the AC makes an annoying noise during the night, and whoever was near us - it sounded like their door bell was going off the entire night.

Not pleased. I'll speak with the front desk when I get back and see if any of this is resolved.

And for the price, I can't believe the sauna and steam aren't included. I expected that to be part of the gym when I chose the hotel.

Don't stay in room 748.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank goliathslw
Thank you for your review which I was extremely disappointed to read.
I am so sorry for your experience so far and please do accept my personal apologies. May I ask that you make contact with our Front of House Manager, Botho Stein, who I know will assist you with your concerns in order to ensure you enjoy the remainder of your stay.
With my warmest wishes,