“Fair deal”
Review of The May Fair Hotel

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #228 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 21 February 2014

The location and the fact that the rooms are soundproof is the best part of The May Fair Hotel. Rooms are decent size and very clean. Last time I stayed there ( have stayed there 5 times ) the water pressure was very low in the shower which was obviously very annoyinmg to find out at 4.30 am. Hotels in London ( high end ) is generally quite expensive so around GBP 275 a night is okay i think. In general the service is good but unfortunaly in their very lively bar with around 6 bartenders you can still wait for service for like 10 minutes. The breakfast is very average but as mentioned earlier the location makes up for the rest. You are right next door to Nobu and The Square restaurant also walking distance to Hakkasan and Coya and obviously Piccadilly Circus. Would I stay there again? Yes I would but not for more than one night at the time, there are many better hotels in London for longterm stays. Hotel is about GBP 75 from Heathrow.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Thank you for your review and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall stay with us.
I was sorry to hear about the water pressure and this is something I will follow up with Maintenance as normally our water pressure is very good.
We do hope to welcome you back again on a future visit to London and in the meantime, I send my best wishes to you.

There are newer reviews for The May Fair Hotel

Reviewed 19 February 2014

We stayed in this hotel over NYE with our two children in a family room. The hotel is very well located near Green Park, but you pay dearly for it! The rooms are mid size (again considering the price paid, room quality should be much better) and are not cleaned properly. The hotel is noisy and crowded, one evening we ran into our next door neighbor in front of our door standing in his underwear because his girlfriend apparently locked him out of the room!! We have travelled extensively both in UK and the rest of the world, staying mainly in mayfair when we are in London and have never seen such a thing before in a hotel of this class :)
And last, but not least: the hotel could not check us in at 7pm on the day we arrived because the room was not ready yet! When we asked for compensation, they gave us a family room with 2 bathrooms instead of 1 which was strange because the family room we had booked originally was supposed to have 2 bathrooms anyway?! When we complained further, the front desk manager "promised" to upgrade our family to a suite for our next stay. Apparently they did not expect us to take them up on the offer because when we asked for such an upgrade for an upcoming holiday in October, we were told they had no family suites, only junior suites for couples! They do have "signature" suites for which we would have to pay extra!!! We were offered the upgrade as a family and not as a couple! And when reminded of this, the one who made the promise, stopped answering emails... Overall, these people with their lack of professionalism are not worth what they charge. There are better alternatives for similar price around the corner....

Room Tip: Breakfast is good. Have it included in the hotel rate when you book (if you really have to book this...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 February 2014

A typical central London hotel, centrally located, expensive but old.

The hotel has double window system which prevents most of the noise but unfortunately, the maid who cleaned the room forgot to close the second window. Therefore, I woke up with the traffic noise in the morning at 6 am. If I could close the window since it requires special key for its ledge, I believe the room should be fairly quiet even though it faces the front street.

The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Thank you for your review.
I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall stay with us and thank you for your compliments about the team.
I was sorry to hear you were disturbed by noise from the outside and the double glazing we have is indeed required in Central London.
We do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Had Sweedish massage and Marrocan self massage and I am well pleased with those treatments. Spa workers were very nice and professional at the same time. A big thank you to all from the spa for feeling special on our valentine weekend.

Just please be careful when entering the sauna as there is a nail which if you are 6’5” tall like me or taller will massage badly your back of your head!

Once again thank you for the amazing experience and hope the nail will not be there when i come next time.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear Martin,
Thank you for your review and I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your experience in the Spa. However, I was extremely concerned to read your comments and see the picture of the Sauna and I must firstly offer my personal apologies for this. I have spoken to my Spa Manager and all our rooms in the Spa are checked on a daily basis and I am just so sorry that this was not noticed before you entered the Sauna. This has been checked again today and everything is in order which I am pleased to confirm.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back to The May Fair.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Booked in for a birthday weekend, 1 night at The Mayfair at start of Feb 2014.
Lovely hotel, excellent service, all staff very pleasant.
Asked for an upgrade as it was my partners birthday and duly got one. The upgraded room had a walk-in dressing area, was very spacious and beautifully decorated.
We also had a complimentary bottle of Proseco on ice waiting in the room for us - nice touch May Fair !
The "Art Deco" bathroom was glorious. It had his n hers sinks, Marble tiling throughout and a twin shower that you could of got 6 people in - fantastic !.
A superb 50 inch plasma tv hung on the wall without a cable to be seen, great for the sport & any movie you desired.
The super large bed was extremely comfortable and the two of us easily got lost in it, lovely !
We went for a cocktail in the bar before we went out for a meal, yes they are expensive [ £13+ ] but it is in Mayfair so to be expected.
The bar was very nice and the waitresses were very pleasant but the lighting was quite dim which wasn,t to our liking, but thats just us.
The buffet style breakfast is overly expensive at £30 each for a full english, okay it was quite nice but didnt think it warrantied £30 even in Mayfair !!
All in all we had a wonderful night here and would highly recommend it. We did have a noisy neighbour in the next room and had to call the night manager up at 3.30am, but he soon told them to be quiet and offered us another room if we required it. We declined as moving beds at 3.30am is a bit of a pain and the noisy neighbours had piped down by then anyway. Also as a gesture of good will, he gave us our breakfasts for free, another nice touch May Fair.
ROOM TIPS - Make sure your secondary window glazing is locked shut [ ours was not and we didnt realise ] as London is a busy / noisy place throughout the night so you need it locked shut to block out the noise. There wasnt any secondary glazing in the bathroom so keep the door shut ! All this will keep it relatively quiet throughout the night. If you cant find the key to lock it shut - ask a member of staff to do it for you.
Avoid a room by the elevator,s, you will hear it working and also the people in it / getting in and out of it talking.
Apart from that, go and enjoy this lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet part of the hotel. Keep away from the elevator areas. Make sure your window secondar...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Thank you for your review and I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your birthday celebrations with us.
I was so sorry to hear of the noise disturbance you experienced and please do accept my personal apologies for this. I was pleased to hear our Night Manager was able to assist you with this.
We do hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

After staying here back in September 13 and having amazing time i thought i would treat my partner for valentines day again at the Mayfair.

Can not fault the quality of service provided by the staff but the quality of our room provided was very poor compared to last time. We was in room 857 and we was very disappointed. The room was tiny, pillows and sheets were dirty and the view out the window was like something out of a prison.

Breakfast was average.

We did still have a great weekend as i had theatre and dinner booked outside the hotel. Its just ashame to be so disappointed after such amazing stay 1st time round i will probably consider a different hotel next time round

I hope they bare this review in mind in when providing a room to returning guest of such a poor standard.

2  Thank Paget1983

Thank you for your review and I am so sorry you did not enjoy this visit as you did in September.
I would firstly like to offer you my personal apologies for this and secondly assure you I will take on board the feedback you have given me on Room 857.
Thank you again and I do hope you will give us another opportunity to restore your confidence in The May Fair.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

My husband decided to whisk me away to London for a birthday treat. As I wanted to do some shopping in Regent Street and Bond Street, he booked this very convenient hotel. Apart from it being in Mayfair we knew very little about the hotel. Please bear in mind it was picked because of location.

We were ushered to a large double bedroom which was both warm and cosy. Eventhough our room was at the front of the hotel, the noise levels was negligible.

We were there just before London fashion Week and boy did we have fun ppl watching!!
As for restaurants, if u r a foodie Nobu is directly across the road and Langan's is a hop skip and a jump away!

The rooms were clean and comfy. Turn down service much appreciated and most of all done with discretion!

Thank Mayfair for the lovely stay! We will be back!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review.
I was so pleased to hear you enjoyed your birthday celebrations with us and thank you for your kind compliments.
We very much hope to welcome you basck soon.
With best wishes,