“Outstanding hotel, good value”
Review of The May Fair Hotel

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #214 of 1,063 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Outstanding hotel, good value”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We visited the May Fair on Saturday 26th April as a special occasion and the experience was excellent - friendly, engaging staff, a perfect location and some very kind complimentary treats. The room was very comfortable and the bar was very lively in the evening. We'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: Some rooms are above the reception/bar area and may be a little noisy in the evening but those would...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear Noel,
Thank you for your review and I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your special occasion with us.
It was a pleasure to look after you and we do hope to welcome you back very soon.
Inderneel Singh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I stayed here last Saturday night as part of my Stag night and have to say it's just about perfect. We booked a suite plus two adjacent room to have somewhere to chill out and watch some sport. Surprisingly the larger of the two adjoining rooms had a much smaller TV. Room service is very efficient.

All the rooms were of a decent size and well equipped. However none of the music players were compatible with modern iPhones which I found strange in a hotel of this quality. Also when checking into a suite it's usual to be shown to the room and have the features explained. We were given keys and off we went, prodding light fitting, remotes and ac controls as we went.

One of the reasons for choosing the May Fair was its Cigar Bar. Yep it was closed the night we stayed. The main hotel bar is good and I see it has its own tripadvisor page so I'll review it separately. Worth a visit but ensure you're ready for the bill.

The beds are very comfortable and the room was nice and quite. Breakfast is very good with a nice, if standard, range of options. Very well made fresh scrambled eggs.

All the staff we came across were very efficient, helpful and friendly as well as being smartly dressed.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the inner courtyard are quieter. Also press the button next to the far lift for qu...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review and I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your Stag night with us and many congratulations on your forthcoming Wedding!
I was so sorry to hear that you were unable to make use of our Cigar Room as there was a private party being held on the Saturday evening. I can understand this must have been disappointing for you and I do hope you will have the opportunity to return to visit us and enjoy this popular area in the Hotel.
We do hope to welcome you back soon and in the meantime, I send my best wishes to you.
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

All the staff were extremely helpful and made us feel very welcome, no request was a bother and are a credit to the hotel. The doorman was ever so helpful in helping me find the local car park and persevered with the instructions until I found it on the 6th attempt. Stayed in a deluxe room which was well equipped and the bed was really comfortable. I will definitely be staying here again. Keep up the great standards.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Chris,
Thank you for your review and I was so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you also for your compliments about the team here. Pleasure to read!
We do hope to welcome you back very soon.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We booked this hotel for its proximity to a number of nice restaurants but its also very close to designer shops and Hyde Park. We had a short walk from the local tube station and were welcomed by some pleasant doorman. What struck me on entrance was this is a big hotel with a number of check in points on arrival. The restaurant to one side and a large bar to the other both were busy mid afternoon on Friday.
The lobby is very pleasant and there is cool flavoured water if you have a short wait. We were unable to check into our allocated room due to our early arrival and although they offered us another we opted to head for the bar. We sank into some very comfy lounge chairs and briefly watched some nice looking cocktails and snacks pass by before the inevitable happened and we succumed to temptation and enjoyed a very pleasant couple of hours sipping and snacking without moving during which we were advised our room was ready. The room was nice modern decor and spacious and we were impressed to be greeted by a lovely gesture of a bottly of bubbly for my birthday. Our bags had already been dropped in. The view was inwards towards rear of other rooms located across the roof so nothing much to look at but similar to other big city hotels. The benefit was it was quiet a couple of floors up which is no easy task when the hotel has an adjoining casino and i believe a lively bar late evening. We also had a look at the Smoking area whilst there it is sufficiently quirky that we considered having a cigar and we dont smoke. All in good service, good night sleep and we found nothing to complain of. Conclusion big hotel quality evident and good service.

Room Tip: Number of different floors and i assume some rooms face to streets and others like ours inwards, so...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. I am so pleased you enjoyed your drinks in the May Fair Bar and our Cigar Room and thank you for your compliments.
We do hope to welcome you back again soon.
WIth my best wishes,
Plymouth, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 3,305 helpful votes
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Got brought here after a mix up with an online booking at Holborn. Entirely happy with the staff who effected the transfer and then with the accommodation, comfort, sleep and breakfast here. Very convenient to the places I had to be. Recommended. Value on my deal. Don't know whether anyone pays full price. If I had to pay the advertised rates then I would think hard about coming back. If I could do it on expenses I would not hesitate.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for your review and so pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit.
We very much hope to welcome you back again soon.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

Awesome service, great location and posh rooms! The bed was comfortable and I love the turn down service... There is a convenient store right across the street and underground station is 5 minute walk.Will stay here again the next time we visit London. Thanks May Fair...

CF
San Francisco, California

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Cezar,
Thank you for your kind review and delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed for 2 nights for business in a king room.

Positives:
Great location.
Beautiful lobby and bedrooms, modern and tastefully decorated.
Good size bedroom, with lots of mirrors and plugs in convenient places.
Reasonably priced and delicious room service.
Helpful and polite staff.

Negatives:
Bathroom is an average size but there is a poor use of space. The only shower is over a very narrow bath.
I have recently stayed at the nearby 5-star Corinthia Hotel (for the same price per night at a corporate rate) which offers a large bath plus an additional walk in rain shower.
The hotel is very noisy, with noise coming from the street (I stayed on the third floor), guests in the hallway, other bedrooms and a very loud fridge.
Mattress is very soft, which may appeal to some, but for me was a negative.

Overall a good stay and I would stay again as the hotel is part of the Club Carlson loyalty programme (same group as Radisson and Park Plaza).

However for a 5-star hotel I was slightly disappointed with the overall experience.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Lucy S
Dear Lucy,
Thank you for your informative review and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed some aspects of your stay.
I have taken note of your feedback and would like to thank you for taking the time to bring this to my attention. I will most certainly follow up on your comments.
I am pleased to hear you will return to stay with us and perhaps I may have the opportunity of meeting with you during your next visit.
In the meantime, I send my best wishes to you.