“Location great - Service appalling”
Review of The May Fair Hotel

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #215 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Brisbane, Australia
“Location great - Service appalling”
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Location: Best thing about this hotel!

Service: Check in smooth and courteous. Gave credit card for charging items, put bags in room & headed out. On return, key access cancelled so could not get back into room. Told room service thought suitcases in room belonged to previous guests.Huh! After dinner in over-priced restaurant, received 4 phone calls and 1 door knock, the last, after we were asleep, to say had no credit card to charge restaurant bill to. This after earlier agreement that we would provide card AGAIN in morning.

Room: Looks good and bed comfortable. However, design impractical.

Shower has no door so need to stand against wall or water goes over slippery gloss floor tiles. Grab rail in shower is under shower head and not on side wall. Bathroom glass door heavy and difficult to open/close. Hair dryer attached to wall opposite mirror so needs to be stretched to limit to use. No well-lit mirror other than bathroom so can not sit down to apply make-up etc. Could go on but these are most frustrating design features.

For money and for a holiday, one could do better in this area. Hotel seems planned for the business man.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Lyndall,
Thank you for your review and I was pleased to hear you enjoyed the location of the Hotel.
I was, however, so sorry to read your comments about the service you received. I would like to take this opportunity of offering you my personal apologies for this and ask, if you have the time, to make contact with our Front of House Manager so he can follow up on your feedback.
I have also taken on board your comments about the bathroom and will certainly be following up on this.
We do hope you will stay with us again so you can experience the service we strive to achieve here at The May Fair.
In the meantime, I send my best wishes,
Inderneel Singh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (525)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
St-Saphorin-Lavaux, Switzerland
Reviewed 30 July 2014

we spent 3 nights with my Partner, my daughter, my mother, we had 2 very nice rooms, the breakfast was amazing (life cooking for many different nice food for breakfast). The personnal is also very friendly and helpful. The bar in the evening is also a nice place to be. We enjoyed it all a lot.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Daniel,
Thank you for your kind review and I was so pleased to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay with us.
Your compliments were a pleasure to read and we do hope to welcome you all back very soon.
Peterborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Arrived early and checked in without a problem. Welcome desk staff perfect service even through she was a trainee. The room was a great size for the price and for Central London. The hotel itself was located in an ideal location right near a tube station and green park.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Tracey,
Thank you for your review and I was so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
Thank you for your compliments too, these are very much appreciated.
We do hope to welcome you back soon.
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

What a hotel where do I start, from the moment you pull up in the taxi the door men open the taxi doors get your bags and open the hotel door for u. The rooms and bathrooms are just amazing. The breakfast are just to die for same with the evening meals. The coffee they serve what can I say I just can't have enough of it.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Lizzie,
Thank you for your review and your wonderful compliments! These were a pleasure to read and we very much look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I arrived on an early flight so got to the hotel in the morning, the lady whom checked me in was very helpful and I got early access to the room to shower and change before heading out for the day.
The hotel staff were all very high quality and very helpful.
I travel a lot for business and stay at five star places around the world, the May Fair ranks very favorably in my view and I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: None, have stayed several times and each was good
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Andrew,
Thank you for your review and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and delighted to learn you will be returning.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back to The May Fair.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 28 July 2014

AMEX booked the MayFair for me last minute after my daughter's passport was stolen in Heathrow while we were transitioning flights to Stockholm. Hotels all over London including the May Fair were at capacity because of Wimbledon. House Mgr Botho Stein worked with us to make sure we had a room as long as it took us to get a new passport & rebook our flights. Mr. Stein was extremely helpful & professional to work with and couldn't have been nicer which made an awful situation much better. Room quality was excellent, rooms are spacious, spotless, quiet, beds are comfortable, big bathroom with large shower and great water pressure, hotel is located in a beautiful & walkable safe area with fantastic shopping, literally a minute to walk to the tube station which was extremely handy & we took the tube directly back to Heathrow. Hotel has a cool vibe, with helpful friendly staff. I've stayed all over London and this is a great area & hotel. We spent 4 nights at the May Fair and I am definitely a fan. We will stay here again.

Room Tip: We were on floor 2 which was very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Heidi M
Dear Heidi,
Thank you so much for your kind review and I was delighted to hear who much you enjoyed your stay with us. I was so sorry to hear about your daughter's passport, but so pleased our Front of House Manager, Botho, was able to assist you.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

First stay at The May Fair and absolutely loved it. Fantastic location, beautiful and comfortable rooms with great views and top notch service. Danielle, guest relations, made us feel very welcome and special the moment we entered the hotel, thank you! Had dinner at The May Fair kitchen, which was spotless. Great atmosphere, very tasty and well presented dishes and great service. Barbara and Emma at the restaurant were very welcoming, smiley and attentive at all times, despite being a busy night. Did not have time to try the bar which was a shame as it looked amazing, next time for sure!

Room Tip: Higher floor - better views
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Your compliments were truly a pleasure to read and I will certainly pass on your sentiments to the staff members concerned.
We very much hope to welcome you back soon.