“Great location & friendly staff”
Review of The May Fair Hotel

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #218 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We were in London last week of July stayed at the May Fair Hotel, a welcoming reception, didn't like the room we initially chose, immediately we were shown another a beautiful modern room in a modern hotel in one of the nicest areas in London (classy and safe) the staff very helpful and friendly. I will go there again and again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Lina,
Thank you for your review and delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and the room you were allocated.
We are so pleased to hear you will be returning and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Inderneel Singh

Write a ReviewReviews (4,929)

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Was very excited to stay in the Mayfair as a stop gap from a long flight and to meet friends i had not seen in years. Friday was good down in the bar but its clear girls are out to get their drinks bought and the silly men relish in the attention they would not get otherwise. On the Saturday I read my bar bill on the tv a bottle of prosecco and a few shots for me and my mate nearly two hundred quid a lot in service charges. We then had a leak in our bathroom through the light and was deemed unsafe so had to be moved this was seven in the evening we had dinner booked for 9 we hadnt yet had a shower or got ready. It took over an hour to get moved we had to cancel dinne
r. The manager although helpful didnt care much that our night was ruined and although we had a complimentary bottle of champagne it was the cheapest, he also advised he would supply us with snacks and we got three strawberries. He stated over and over again the hotel very busy but frankly not my problem. When we eventually managed to get ready and go to the bar he rudely ignored us.Breakfast in the morning of departure was freezing, came back to my room and a maid was clearing it out.Rooms are not much better than the Premier Inn. Dont bother rant over!!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review which of course I was most concerned to read.
I would appreciate you making contact with the Deputy General Manager, Atanas Botev, so we can discuss your feedback in more detail.
Atanas can be contacted via the Hotel's main number.
We do hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

This hotel was booked specifically for it's location and for the fact that it had a 5 star rating so that my wife and I could relax on a weekend away. We had travelled by train and the hotel is only a 2 minute walk from the tube. We were warmly welcomed and taken up to our room to be shown around. We were told we had been given a larger room at the front but were surprised to see a folding bed had been made up already in the room. This was quickly removed but it looked like the room was prepared for someone else. In fact , it had , as we were able to view the other peoples' online bill via the TV system. Interesting to see that they were paying a lot less for their room than we were ! We were going to the theatre in the evening so asked if they did afternoon teas. We were told they did in the Mayfair bar. We went to this rather modern bar , ordered drinks and asked about food." I can get you a sandwich .What would you like smoked salmon or Cajun chicken". Not what we expected or what we wanted. The room was very pleasant and comfortable with a fantastic en suite and we had a good night's sleep. We looked forward to a late leisurely breakfast which we had high hopes for in a 5 star hotel. Breakfast can no better be described than as a disorganised bun fight. The restaurant was packed with guests and walk ins and nobody seemed to know what was going on. There was a long wait for a table but it wasn't clear whether it was self service or if food would be brought to you. It ended up being a mix of both. I had eggs benedict brought to me whilst my wife had to wait for her poached eggs at the counter whilst the rest of her food got cold. The experience was so bad that we cancelled our plans to eat there in the evening and decided to try and eat at a restaurant in the Shard. I decided to let the concierge do his job as he would probably have a VIP number ( which they do apparently). I asked him to try for a table in any of the three restaurants for around 8 o'clock. 20 minutes later I had a call saying 6 o'clock was the best he could do - I accepted this. He then rang back 10 minutes later to say he couldn't book it after all - did we want him to try another of the restaurants? Errr - yes please !! 20 minutes later we went downstairs ( due to a false fire alarm) and the concierge hadn't had a chance to do anything else as he was inundated with enquiries at his understaffed desk. He got straight on the phone when we appeared and said no he couldn't book any tables. At this , I rang the Shard myself and booked a table at Hutong.We had a fantastic meal ( so thank you to the Mayfair for being so bad as we wouldn't have made the effort otherwise). On returning to the hotel we got drinks but walked straight out of the bar as the music volume was pumped up and it was full of partygoers. Having nowhere for residents to be able to sit and chat we were forced to go to our room instead. breakfast on sunday morning was even more of a farce than Saturday. there were corks lying on the floor that hadn't been cleaned up from the night before. The table behind us was a large table which had a high chair where a child had been sitting and there was food all over the floor. The table was re-set but the food not swept up so we had to walk through it. the chef was inundated at the counter with those getting food themselves as well as a long line of tickets from waiters. Whilst the chef was professional he was clearly under so much pressure due to lack of staff in the kitchen. I wanted to roll my sleeves up and go and help him I felt so sorry for him. We couldn't get the breakfast we wanted ( fruits , yoghurts etc. ) as they had run out of food available. Another couple sat by us but the tables were so close together that every time they wanted to go and get something , we had to stand up and move our table sideways so they could get out. We checked out later that day but never got to the check out desks as there was such a long queue. We were told the bill would be emailed to us which has turned out to be wrong. We had a nice room with a great location but everything else was appalling.

Room Tip: Try a room at Claridges or the Savoy.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank monkeynuts149a

Thank you for your review which I was most concerned to read.
I would really appreciate you making contact with my Deputy General Manager, Atanas Botev, so we can discuss your feedback in more detail.
Atanas can be contacted via the main Hotel number.
Thank you and we do hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Great location in the middle of it all in Central London. Great reception and concierge welcome which when combined with the rooms and bar area provide an excellent base for eating, drinking and getting out and about. Didn't eat at the hotel so can't comment in this area

Stayed: August 2014

Dear Mike,
Thank you for your review and delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
We do hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed there for a week in August. The location is excellent. 15 min walk to piccadilly sqr and 15 min walk to Buckingham Palace. Great restaurants in short distance on piccadilly and a Sainsbury supermarket across the road. The room was clean and comfortable though quite small. The price was hefty and next time I'm around I think I'll shop around and look for more value for money.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review and pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall stay with us.
We do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back on a future occasion when hopefully you could enjoy one of our larger rooms which may be more to your liking.
In the meantime, I send my best wishes,

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Fantastically located within easy reach of some great restaurants.
Room was a little on the small size however the service throughout the hotel was impeccable.
From check in to check out we were treated very well.
Great breakfast- a special mention must go the the lovely Pauline who worked the restaurant very well and went out of her way to ensure that every table was wanting for nothing. She was superb.
A great stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review and I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
Thank you for your compliments about Pauline, which were a pleasure to hear, and please be assured these will be passed on.
We do hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We have just arrived from a 2 night stay with our 2 daughters. Hotel staff was great as well as location (Mayfair would probably not be a priority place to stay with kids, but if you love location, that's it!).

The room was very big (family room) and the bathroom was beautiful (all modern and marble-huge-shower too!). The cleanness was impecable!!!

On the picky side: Carpets could use a replacement through out the corridors, and they definitely need to change door on the rooms or do something about sound proof, because the noise of the corridors end up all inside the room.

The breakfast was amazing but rather on the expensive side (worth it!).

Would definitely come back!

Room Tip: Try a prepaid rate and don't forget to include your breakfast!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Samantha,
Thank you for your review and delighted to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay with us.
We do hope to welcome you all back soon.