“Awful”
Review of The May Fair Hotel

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #221 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Just returned from a family 2 night stay at The May Fair. Hotel was pre-paid but they still required a deposit of £300.00 per room for our 2 night stay !
Luggage was not delivered to our rooms, so after waiting for 20 minutes I decided to go back to reception where our luggage was in full view of all in the main lobby. I then pushed the trolley myself to the lift and up to our rooms ( accompanied by one of the 4 bell boys / concierge who we're standing right next to it. )
The rooms were tiny , one slightly larger than the other. Best thing about the rooms were the toiletries !!!
Complementary newspaper was not delivered on the second morning - no explanation or apology .
When checking out, I was not asked if I enjoyed my stay, so I had to initiate that conversation.
Car parking £55 / 24 hrs....
We normally stay at The Berkley Hotel which is a world away from this.
I will never stay here again, and would warn anyone to think twice before booking. While I was checking in a gentleman was heatedly complaining about his room and demanding to be moved, and on checking out an Australian lady was also complaining about her room. ( she recommended The Sanderson )

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Derrick G

Reviewed 21 August 2014

I've stayed at most of the 5 star hotels in London over the years, from the stuffy ones to the ones that leave you wondering "How is this place a 5-star?". The May Fair is certainly one of the best in London. Very hip, cool hotel. Great staff, the newly refurbed restaurant is excellent and the breakfast buffet is unlikely to be beaten by any other hotel in London. The bar scene is very lively in the evening, but an appropriate place for business meetings during the day as well. All in all, you'll be very impressed and pleased with your stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Thank you for your review and delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
Your compliments were a pleasure to read and we do hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night and we will definitely be returning.
It's just around the corner from the Green Park tube station so it's easy to get to. It's also within walking distance of Victoria Coach Station, although I wouldn't advise it if you have a lot of heavy luggage.
The hotel itself is exactly what you would expect from a 5 star hotel......the staff are very helpful and polite and the rooms are very sophisticated.
We arrived 5 hours before check in so we could leave our luggage there while we explored, but we were allowed to check in and access our room for no extra charge.
We had breakfast included which was also very nice. It was a buffet breakfast so you can have either a continental or full english.

• Stayed: August 2014
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thank you for your review and I was so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, thank you for your wonderful comments too.
We very much hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Had a great stay in August, only one night but would have loved a few more. Staff were very accommodating & friendly. Room was upgraded on arrival. Great location, 3 minute walk from Buck Palace. Lots of the 'beautiful people' swanning about and was fun to watch the conspicuous display of extreme wealth off the other guests. Very nice hotel indeed.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thank you for your review and I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us.
Thank you for your kind compliments and we do hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

we was staying a week ago. when we arrived we was upgraded to Junior Suit. Wow... the room was amazing very, very spacious, with 2 huge TV, lovely UK flag fridge full with bubbles :) Bathroom was very clean and large. Bathrooms products "Essential Elements" was amazing. You have IPad for use in the room, where you can do everything by it, control room temperature, order room service, book table in restaurant. Is amazing and experience was getting better :) Restaurant!!!! what a choice of sea food, and meet all keep for 28 days. food and service was just amazing. We had best meal in wonderful atmosphere with most helpful staff. Beds super comfortable. Breakfast ... what a choice!!! From healthy fresh to full English Breakfast. Highly recommend! Thank you all, hotel staff, for making our stay so amazing!!!! we will be back!!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you for your review and I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and the Junior Suite you were allocated.
Thank you also for your compliments about our new addition, The May Fair Kitchen. I was so pleased to hear you enjoyed your experience.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

I booked a wrong date by mistake online. As I was going to a wedding I needed to stay there. I phone the hotel the day before the wedding to find out that I put the wrong date on my booking and I was informed the hotel is fully booked. I asked if I can get a refund but I was informed that my booking was made under advance purchase rate and cannot get a refund nor change the date. Then I wrote an email to the manager. As a 'gesture of goodwill' they agreed to change the date. I phoned the reservation numerous occasion but was unable to get someone on the phone for 3 hours. In fact I don't need to stay in London but I am forced to stay there because I cant get my money back. While I was able to get someone on the phone, there was no professionalism and customer service.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Raden M
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Raden,
Thank you for your review which I was most disappointed to read.
Our Front of House Manager has tried to make contact with you to no avail and may I therefore ask if you would be so kind as to call the Hotel, when you have a moment, so you can speak with him directly.
Thank you Raden.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed at the hotel on Carlson points and they gave us a really spacious room on the 8th floor. Really comfortable bed and plenty of space in the room. Very well equipped bathroom and well designed shower, so that you could control the water temperature without having to stand in it! All the basics and all the extras that you could need were in the room and it had a kettle, rather than one of those stupid coffee makers, so you can make a proper cup of tea. Restaurant also good for breakfast.

Room Tip: Being a member of the Carlson Club may be an advantage as it is a Radisson hotel.