“Birthday treat”

Ranked #214 of 1,064 Hotels in London
england
“Birthday treat”
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for my birthday as a theatre hotel break as a treat from our daughter.
We have travelled extensively on holiday all over the world staying in some beautiful hotels.
Check in was awful our room was not ready until 3.30 we were told we would receive champagne and chocolates sadly they never arrived. It was also my birthday on the Saturday which the hotel were informed of, not even the hotel card as such was given, we've stayed in hotels where we've celebrated birthdays anniversaries and have always received a complimentary something such as bottles of wine, flowers cakes etc. so have to say felt rather let down.
The room itself was pleasant with a lovely bathroom but would have liked a bath.
The breakfast was excellent I have to say with a huge variety of things on offer
However eating felt rather cramped as the tables were close together.
There is a bar which we had a couple of drinks at have to say we were entertained by a couple of champagne Charlie types who definitely had one too many.
The service at this hotel is very good from door staff, concierge, bar staff and restaurant staff.
We had an overall good experience and the location is superb.
What I would say to the manager try and make it a more personal stay for your guests, as it's the little touches that bring people returning.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank harry02
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Harry,
Thank you for your review and for choosing The May Fair to celebrate such a special occasion.
I was sorry to hear that this was not recognised and please do accept my personal apologies for this. I have most certainly taken your comments on board.
I will also be following up on your further feedback with my Heads of Department.
Thank you for your kind compliments about the service of my team and I will of course pass on this positive feedback to them.
I do personally hope you will return to stay with us Harry as I would really like you to enjoy The May Fair as I would have liked you to on this occasion. Perhaps I will also have the opporutunity of meeting with you.
In the meantime, I send my warmest wishes to you and your wife.
Inderneel Singh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manama
Reviewed 26 August 2014

If you love London that this Hotel puts you right in the middle of everything. And if you add modern spacious rooms, friendly staff and good rates, then you get a Gem. Very rare to get this combination in London. I simply adore this hotel.

Room Tip: Book deluxe room or higher and insist on including breakfast
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Thank you so much for your kind review and we are delighted to hear that you enjoy staying with us here at The May Fair.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back to your "home away from home".
In the meantime, I send my best wishes to you.
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Over the years we have stayed in a number of London hotels and always found them wanting. No more. The May Fair is superb. Got it all. Great location, great service, great rooms and great restaurants. The concierge and front door staff cannot be beat. Always so friendly. Same for the front desk staff. Taxis always waiting in front. And what a great location in the heart of Mayfair and just a block from Picadilly. The public areas and all the rooms have been recently done over at obvious considerable cost, and the result is an amazing place. Our room was very decent sized. Dining in the new hotel restaurant was exceptional. With the dollar the way it is to the British pound, nothing is reasonable any more, but for the value this place was well worth it. We cannot wait to return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Jeffrey,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review.
I was absolutely delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you so much for your kind comments.
We are all so pleased that you now class The May Fair as your new "home away from home" and we very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.
With my warmest wishes,
Winscombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Just returned from a family 2 night stay at The May Fair. Hotel was pre-paid but they still required a deposit of £300.00 per room for our 2 night stay !
Luggage was not delivered to our rooms, so after waiting for 20 minutes I decided to go back to reception where our luggage was in full view of all in the main lobby. I then pushed the trolley myself to the lift and up to our rooms ( accompanied by one of the 4 bell boys / concierge who we're standing right next to it. )
The rooms were tiny , one slightly larger than the other. Best thing about the rooms were the toiletries !!!
Complementary newspaper was not delivered on the second morning - no explanation or apology .
When checking out, I was not asked if I enjoyed my stay, so I had to initiate that conversation.
Car parking £55 / 24 hrs....
We normally stay at The Berkley Hotel which is a world away from this.
I will never stay here again, and would warn anyone to think twice before booking. While I was checking in a gentleman was heatedly complaining about his room and demanding to be moved, and on checking out an Australian lady was also complaining about her room. ( she recommended The Sanderson )

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Derrick G
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I've stayed at most of the 5 star hotels in London over the years, from the stuffy ones to the ones that leave you wondering "How is this place a 5-star?". The May Fair is certainly one of the best in London. Very hip, cool hotel. Great staff, the newly refurbed restaurant is excellent and the breakfast buffet is unlikely to be beaten by any other hotel in London. The bar scene is very lively in the evening, but an appropriate place for business meetings during the day as well. All in all, you'll be very impressed and pleased with your stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Thank you for your review and delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
Your compliments were a pleasure to read and we do hope to welcome you back again very soon.
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night and we will definitely be returning.
It's just around the corner from the Green Park tube station so it's easy to get to. It's also within walking distance of Victoria Coach Station, although I wouldn't advise it if you have a lot of heavy luggage.
The hotel itself is exactly what you would expect from a 5 star hotel......the staff are very helpful and polite and the rooms are very sophisticated.
We arrived 5 hours before check in so we could leave our luggage there while we explored, but we were allowed to check in and access our room for no extra charge.
We had breakfast included which was also very nice. It was a buffet breakfast so you can have either a continental or full english.

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you for your review and I was so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, thank you for your wonderful comments too.
We very much hope to welcome you back soon.
birmingham
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Had a great stay in August, only one night but would have loved a few more. Staff were very accommodating & friendly. Room was upgraded on arrival. Great location, 3 minute walk from Buck Palace. Lots of the 'beautiful people' swanning about and was fun to watch the conspicuous display of extreme wealth off the other guests. Very nice hotel indeed.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for your review and I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us.
Thank you for your kind compliments and we do hope to welcome you back very soon.