“4 Stars Max”

Ranked #218 of 1,067 Hotels in London
LA
“4 Stars Max”
Reviewed 22 August 2009

We just checked out after an eight night stay so this review is very fresh.

Check-in was very seamless and great. The room wasn't ready so we were offered the spa to shower and freshen up. When we arrived to our room, it was very large for the room type and especially for a room in London. It was a deluxe room category. It featured a walk-in closet hich was quite large suprisingly and had two sinks in the bathroom. There was absolutely no view, a brick wall at best but that didn't matter to us much. Later that night, we received chocolate covered strawberries and one bottle of water (two wouldv'e made more sense). Regardless, that was a very nice touch.

Here is where the problems started to begin. First off, the hallways all smell terrible as soon as you get out of the elevator. They smell like an Indian restaurant and yes this was on multiple floors. Our room was right next to the service entrance which I didn't think was going to be a big problem. The hallways were also 90 percent covered in carpet however our room was part of the 10 percent that had tile outside of the room instead of carpet. So, what we heard from 230am-7am everyday was the service door slamming and people rolling their luggage loudly on the tile. We gave this a two night experiment and it did not work for us any longer. We moved rooms without seeing the new room. The new room was half the size! They said they were sold out that night but will move us in the morning. The next day I looked at two rooms and one of them (room 356) was absolutely fantastic. Best room by far! The only thing missing is a view but if you don't care you'll be great. Very quiet and large. We encountered a few problems in this room as this is where it points to some flaws of the hotel. The TV did not turn on so at 11pm I called and they said oh you must be doing something wrong so I will send someone up. Someone came up and said oh you're right it does not work and maintenence has gone home and will be in tomorrow (five star hotels should always have maintenence on hand 24 hours a day!) Then I had to make sure to call the next day as they had still not come to fix it. Also, I found myself calling multiple times for requests as they can be very slow or forgetful. In addition, the idea of the gilchrist and soames bathroom products is HORRIBLE. You can't move the bottle to pump in a direction that would be convenient. It is affixed to the wall. Also they had no personal amenities such as q-tips or slippers. These are all things that are standard in a five star hotel.

The May Fair Bar hands down made me the best drink I have ever tried! It baffles me that this bar closes at 1AM on a weekend and 10PM during the week! This made no sense to me. It is also freeeeezing cold in there so bring a jacket. The vibe was wierd despite the great drinks. I am being conservative when I say it felt like a bunch of escorts and prostitutes and no I am not kidding as my girlfriend and I watched men meet their hired dates. Quite odd.

Also, try to find a car service other than Kelly Executive which the hotel arranges.The cars are very average as they come dirty and old bodystyle (old e class compared to the new 2010 e class). The windows had dirt all over them and the cars were seriously lacking a car wash. I make this example because I hired a great car service called Havering Carriage Company which offers the new E Class for the same price.

All in all, would I stay at the may fair again, yes I would. The location is unrivaled however, they need to tighten up their act in customer service and amenities. If this was taken care of, this hotel would deserve its five star rank.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
MayFairHotel, Charles P. Oak - General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 19 September 2009
Dear Reviewer

Further to your with us in August I would like to thank you for sharing such a comprehensive and thorough review on this site. I am always keen to see a balanced report which looks at all aspects as I feel this acts as an invaluable aid to any individuals looking top stay at the hotel themselves.

I have taken onboard your comments and am shocked and disaapointed that you needed to chase up staff to action your requests. Naturally I shall take this review constructively and use it to implement changes to improve the over all service we offer.

Feedback such as this is essential to ensure we constantly monitor our standards and procedures to eliminate errors.

I would like to thank you for this very helpful feedback and I sincerely hope with have an opportunity of welcoming you back to the May Fair sometime in the future.

Charles P. Oak

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
berlin
Reviewed 21 August 2009

I stayed here on Eurobonus points, which may account for certain aspects of my experience. But generally speaking, this Hotel is disappointing. First, check in and the front desk. Every exchange required a wait, at least of five minutes. The staff were unintelligent, and I question whether all of them speak or understand sufficiently fluent English. Second, the rooms. We had two rooms, adjoining. In one of them, the television and lights were not functioning. After a call and a wait, someone came and corrected the situation. Who released the room? Do they have a cleaning manager? Generally, the rooms were large and clean, although a bit scruffy around the edges. I must say, however, that I have never been in a five star without personal amenities. Large squeeeze bottles, even of Gilchrist and Soames, dont do it. Continental breakfast was very weak, with little selection and poor service (it took three requests to get a staff person to bring bowls). The location was excellent, but every hotel in Mayfair is in Mayfair. In conclusion, dont spend money on this hotel. There are numerous infinitely superior competitors right around the corner. Literally.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Dear Reviewer

Further to your recent stay at the May Fair Hotel I am in receipt of your feedback which you very kindly took the time to complete online.

Feedback is essential to us to ensure we constantly monitor our standards and procedures to eliminate errors.

Naturally I was very disappointed to read that the hotel overall did not meet with your expectations. I have noted your comments regarding the level of English spoken by the Front of House Team. We recruit many different nationalities, however they all undergo stringent training and assessments. This point will be taken up with the Front of House Manager as clearly it this addressing.

I would like to thank you for this constructive feedback and sincerely hope that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the May Fair in the future to alter your current perception.

Reviewed 21 August 2009

Having taken a holiday at home we ended up at The May Fair. Staff absolutely brilliant, rooms excellent and location perfect. The hotel is very secluded and quiet. It was perfect for a weekend "at home" Restaurant a bit stiff but staff was friendly and that was all we really needed.

Reviewed 20 August 2009

Whilst this hotel has all the comforts you would expect from a 5 star hotel and is a fantastic location for central London, anyone booking this should be aware that Berkeley Street is home to the Funky Buddha club and on a friday night, between the hours of middnight to 4am, party goers line the streets to get into the club, or are outside smoking and people insist on driving their cars, as though they were on a formula one race track, revving the engines of their ferraris and lamborghini until the crowds cheer and they accelerate off down the street. At around 4am, it gets quieter, but then the rubbish collectors and glass collection happens a few hours later, so the precious sleep you might have got is never going to happen. If you can get a room higher up, and not overlooking Berkeley Street then it is worth staying here, simply for the location, but if you want a good nights sleep, then head to other hotels in the vicinity.

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
MayFairHotel, Charles P. Oak - General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 28 September 2009
Dear Reviewer

I am sorry you have been disturbed by noise from the bars in Berkeley Street, I appreciate this can be hugely frustrating when trying to get a good nights sleep, as you correctly pointed out this can be avoided as we do have a variety of different rooms with different aspects.

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2009

We loved the location, very easy to park car and walk to Hotel. The check in experience was flawless, a Polish receptionist who was very welcoming and efficient. A good start.Decor is fine, we thought the hallway was rather dark to our room, but the room was a good size, quite bland decoration. We liked the view overlooking the street, the bathroom and walk-in wardrobe seemed classy.

Then the cracks began to show. No remote for TV(which was sited at an awkward angle). No water in the room, not even complimentary biscuits! We had to call two times to get a remote(which they picked up from the next door room). Only after I had called the Polish front desk guy did we get service. The remote was gross, I had to clean it!

Then we found our slippers, one pair was damp and mildewed! As we looked around we started to realise the flaws. Bathroom tiles were uneven. Water not contained by shower. I was disturbed at about 4am by the neighbouring room, as the interconnecting door is so thin you can hear conversation!

Breakfast was a fiasco. We thought our trouble was just the room, but the waitress, a Phillipino tried hard, but could hardly speak english and didn't know much. Neither did the maitre'di, who was off hand and made excuses when we asked why the smoothie was 'tangy', we realised it was bad-I thought I would suffer later.

I asked for a pancake and they served up some kind of bread-flan.I thought it might be filled, but it was just bread. Unbelievable! We informed the waitress, she took them back to the cook (he is no chef) and he just looked angry.

What kind of joke restaurant is this? The Hilton Tower bridge is only 4 stars and is a league ahead of this! You would think they could try harder, considering their proximity to the Ritz-a block away!

I contacted the manageress, she said it was unacceptable, and offered a free upgrade on my next stay. Ahem, only if she upgrades us to the Ritz!

Sad to say this, we were full of hope and excitement at the start. We were using our eurobonus rewards for this stay and wonder if they view that as an excuse not to prepare our room, but the breakfast service indicated a woeful lack of investment in staff or training. I compared Tower Bridge Hilton, a good comparison as their staff were all foreign as The May fair. So it has nothing to do with nationalities. Hilton staff are trained. May fair are not, the Polish receptionist excepted.

Following the recommendations on trip advisor we thought we were in for a treat. Dismal.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
Dear Reviewer

Further to your stay at the May Fair Hotel i would like to thank you for sharing your experince online.

Feedback no matter how critical is vital to us to establish where we may be falling down and although hard to read I am grateful to you for making me aware of the poor stay you had with us.

Please be assured reviews of this nature are thankfully rare however this does not detract from the fact that we clearly failed to deliver the standard of service synonymous with a Five Star Hotel.

I would like to assure you that I will be sharing your comments with my management team.

toronto
Reviewed 18 August 2009

There are so many other fantastic 4 and 5 star boutique hotels to stay when in London, don't waste your money here. An expensive mistake. Was attracted by a hip decor and enticing bar/lobby, but after checking into what was once a beautiful room, realized the the maintenance was terrible. Quality of amenities and furnishings was fine but room felt dirty because the rug was curling up exposing glue and dirt. Gross. The makeup mirror in bathroom was broken and just hanging, couldn't be used. Kleenex cover was missing, exposing rusting metal. Grungy bathtub - calking was discoloured and frankly again, gross. I couldn't wait to checkout to have a shower somewhere else. I asked for another room and the next room was worse so I went back to my original room. The staff was frusterated and didn't seem to know how to answer my comment about the condition of the room. Most other 4 star hotels wouldn't have released the room until the repairs were finished. Speaks to the standards of the management. An inexperienced hostess and wait staff in the restaurant for breakfast were being trained by someone who was making it uncomfortable for the guests as well as providing poor customer service. In fact the guests were trying to help so they could get fed. RUN AWAY from the MAYFAIR.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank traveler352
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for sharing your review of a recent stay at the May Fair Hotel online.

Naturally I was shocked to read of the poor condition of your allocated room. Please accept my sincere apologies, all rooms should be throughly checked prior to guest arrivals and I am at a loss as to why you should have been alloacted a room which clearly sound like it was not up to standard.

This is certainly not the standard you should expect when staying at the May Fair Hotel and please be assured that your experience is completely incongruous.

I would like to thank you for this very helpful feedback, this will be shared with my management team for action.

Reviewed 12 August 2009

We stayed in The May Fair hotel as a treat for my partners birthday. The location is hard to beat being close enough to the type of things that draw people to London including the restaurants, nightlife, shopping, tourist attractions etc. The rooms are spacious and well decorated although our view of a brick wall, a set of fire escape stairs which was sprawled with rubbish was a huge disapointment. I ordered the chocolate coated strawberries when i booked on line, however when i arrived, the lady at the check was unable to get through to anybody to check if the strawberries were already in the room. After waiting quite some time she decided to go up and check herself. The strawberries were not in the room and she said they would be up within the hour. I asked for a bucket and glass for champagne i had bought with me and this was no trouble. All in all check in took abt 20mins and this should have been more straight forward. When the Strawberries did arrive, about 15/20 mins later, there was no bucket and glasses. When i explained my request, i was asked whether i was sure because he had just spoken to reception and hadnt been told - i heard the reception ask for the glasses and bucket and i take exception to being asked 'if im sure'. Eventually the Strawberries, bucket and glasses came but since this was a present for my partner, it would have been nice for the whole thing to have run a bit more smoothly. The most disappointing thing was the dried up urine on the toilet seat when we arrived - and quite a lot of it! I mentioned this to the man who had bought up the strawberries and this was cleaned quickly - but this is just not acceptable in a 5* hotel. There was also no remote control for the TV and having mentioned this on our way out that evening, we still didnt have one the following morning and had to call reception again.

I believe that the sign of a good establishment is not the problems but how well they are dealt with. However, that said, a dirty toilet is just 1 problem too much and not a problem i would expect in a 5* hotel.

To conclude, I would still recommend this hotel as the above problems could have easily been avoided with a little more care and customer service.

Dear Reviewer

Please be assured that your remarks have been shared with the relevant teams as an aid to make immediate improvements and keep are staff vigilant to the details at all times.