“Good Hotel in an amazing location”
Review of The May Fair Hotel

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #214 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Sheffield,England
“Good Hotel in an amazing location”
Reviewed 13 December 2009

Stayed at this hotel for the first time for the weekend in early December with my wife and I have to say we really enjoyed our stay. Our visit to London was for shopping and other leisure and the location of this hotel makes it the perfect place to stay for this, on a side street just off Piccadilly, very close to Green Park Tube station all the major shopping areas are just a short walk or tube ride away. The hotel itself is a large hotel with a busy reception and is a hive of activity, there are two very good bars, one lively one the Mayfair and a quieter one Amba. The rooms are clean modern and spacious, my only complaint was that our room was at the end of a corridor near the lifts and the floor went from being carpeted to tile and the regular sound of ladies heels on the tiles got quite annoying when trying to sleep. We ate breakfast at the hotel which was very good with plenty of choice, although on our last morning we went down at a busy period and were put in a room at the back of the Amba bar which felt like I was in a Premier Inn and not a 5* hotel which was dissapointing. All in all we liked the hotel and will stay again, but it is a very large hotel and very busy and people seeking a quiet quaint place this is probably not the place for you.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank S6_OWL
MayFairHotel, Charles P. Oak at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2010
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback relating to your recent stay at the May Fair hotel. I truly appreciate you constructive comments and am delighted that overall your stay with us managed to exceed your expectations.

May I apologise that you did not feel the annexe breakfast room was befitting of a hotel of this calibre. During periods of very high occupancy it can become necessary to open this extra space to deal with the volume of guests but in general we do try and service all breakfast requirements in the Amba restaurant.

I would like to thank you for this very helpful feedback and I sincerely hope we have an opportunity of welcoming you back to the May Fair sometime in the future.

Charles P. Oak

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
new york city
Reviewed 10 December 2009

I stayed with a girlfriend for three nights and have to say, I would not be returning to this hotel. It's modern, clean and chic. The rooms are spacious and nice baths (except for the unusually high toilet seats!). But we found the staff to be quite apathetic and had to try and get the attention of them most of the time (being an avid traveler for both work and leisure, I am used to hotel staff being overly attentive). However, where they are attentive is in the room cleaning/turn down service. I swear there were knocks constantly on the door--at one point I muttered "you've got to be kidding me." The hallway noise is really disruptive as well. It sounds like people are right there in your room! Overall, not overly impressed.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
MayFairHotel, Charles P Oak at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2010
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for staying with us at the May Fair Hotel, I am sincerely sorry that your stay fell short of the five star experience you had been expecting.

Naturally I find your comments relating to the general staff attitude most concerning and will be addressing these remarks with my Head of Department Team to look at why this should have been the case and what training needs to be addressed. I do appreciate that you have taken the time to highlight the positives as well as the negatives and hope that should you be returning to London we are able to welcome you back and demonstrate that we do take feedback such as this serious and that both myself and the team are truly passionate about great customer service.

I would like to thank you for this very helpful feedback.

UK
Reviewed 30 November 2009

The Mayfair Hotel is stunning-great location, very clean and tidy and uber trendy.Barely a week goes by without photos of one celebrity or another seen going in or coming out of this popular hotel.Therefore, I expected alot more from this hotel.We arrived later on in the day, when reception was relatively quiet, however the gentleman behind the desk was surly, moody and didn't look remotely bothered to attend to us when we approached the desk. He made no eye contact with us whatsoever and didn't even greet us.After he gave us our room key he walked away without telling us where our room was,how to get there etc....I was at least expecting him to ask us if we wanted a newspaper in the morning, or if we needed help with our luggage (of which we had a very large suitcase), but I was very disappointed by his whole demeanour and couldn't believe this was a 5 star hotel I was checking in to. However, once we got to the room I was delighted.Large, clean, with a king size bed and marble bathroom, this more than made up for the rude reception staff. However, at 8am the following morning, we were woken by a knock at the door! It was the housekeeping staff wanting to make up the room! At 8am! We couldn't believe it, especially as we had gone there to relax for the weekend and catch up on our sleep.I was shocked later in the day after returning to the hotel at 4pm to discover our room hadn't been made up, despite housekeeping being so eager to do it at 8am! When we confronted the front desk about it, surprise surprise they just shrugged their shoulders and didn't really see what the problem was. We had breakfast in the bar on our first morning as the restaurant was too busy. The staff were very polite and attentive, however we still had to wait 40 minutes for our breakfast, which we ordered off the a la carte breakfast menu, which I felt wa too long, especially as it was only a bowl of porridge that I ordered.
All this being said, the hotel does have alot of excellent qualities. The bar is fantastic and there is always a lively atmosphere in there no matter what time of day.The spa is outstanding and the food in the Amba grill is delicious (I would recommend the cod!).It is also one of the cleanest hotels I have ever stayed in.
When booking a room, asking for one that doesn't overlook the front of the hotel as we were kept awake through the night by people leaving various bars/nightclubs in the area.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
MayFairHotel, Charles P. Oak at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2009
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for staying with us at the May Fair Hotel on your recent trip. Feedback such as this is essential to ensure we constantly monitor our standards and procedures to eliminate errors.

Your review is naturally quite concerning to us, in particular the comments about the poor servcie recieved at check in, this is certainly not representative of the style of service you should expect when staying with us and I shall be addressing this with the Front of House Team.

I would like to thank you for this very helpful feedback and I sincerely hope with have an opportunity of welcoming you back to the May Fair sometime in the future.

london
Reviewed 24 November 2009

Booked here due to other reviews. I studied in London so I know hotel's location well.
Booked (communicated with its reservation office by emails) a double room 3 weeks before arrival.
I was offered a room with king bed, was told that the daily price inclusive of breakfast & VAT.
Upon arrival, assigned a room that was difference from photos on its website, small & not identical deco. I was hesitate to ask for a change because the front desk was very rude to me during check-in. Perhaps I only stayed for 2 nights, and booked the lowest class of room...
About breakfast...I did not ask (during booking) whether the english breakfast or continental breakfast was included...I eventually be given not a FULL english breakfast...
I really hope they're able to state clearly to guests during reservation.
However, the location is good.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
MayFairHotel, Charles P. Oak at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2009
Dear Reviewer

Further to your recent stay at the May Fair Hotel I am in receipt of your feedback which you very kindly took the time to complete online.

Naturally I was most concerned that you did not feel you had recieved the room type you had booked. The picture online is purely a 'respresentation' of the style, rooms do vary and I am sorry you were not satisfied with the allocated room.

Please accept my sincere apologies that short a brief stay with us was marred but inconsistant information and poor service, this is certainly not what you should expect when staying with us.

I would like to thank you for this very helpful feedback and I sincerely hope with have an opportunity of welcoming you back to the May Fair sometime in the future and altering your current perception.

Wirral, merseyside
Reviewed 23 November 2009

Every thing in this hotel exudes with excellence, class, and functionality. Its central location make it easy to access any important land mark in London. Free wi fi makes it even better. Friendly staff, ready to help.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer

Your review serves as a great motivator to the team here at the Hotel.

Manchester
Reviewed 20 November 2009

I stayed at this hotel with my partner and can honestly say... you get what you pay for. From the fittings in reception (Fendi sofa's etc). The rooms are beautiful with you own B&O (Bang & Olufsen) t.v., phone, desk and a dressing room fitted in marble which leads you into the marble bathroom. The quality and luxury will leave you speechless. Did I also mention the t.v. in the bathroom? I fell in love with this hotel. There is a local (small) sainsbury's supermarket facing the hotel. Go in there for drinks etc as the hotel is very pricey. The location is excellent. You can walk to Oxford road (shopping) 5 mins away. It is 10 mins walk from the Ritz Hotel. Around the corner there is Starbucks coffee shop and a cafe 2 doors up the street on the other side which does a excellent English breakfast a quarter of the price of the hotel. If you want to be spoiled and live in luxury, you've found it!! Enjoy yourself we did

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer

Thank you so much for taking the time to share a review of your recent stay with us on this site. Feedback such as this is essential to ensure we constantly monitor our standards and procedures.

We are delighted that you enjoyed all the aspects of your stay, and cant wait to welcome you back!

I would like to thank you for this very helpful feedback.

glasgow
Reviewed 18 November 2009

First time I have criticised a hotel as I usually stay 4 or 5 star when travelling the world. So let me give you a truthful and honest assessment of this hotel.

Let me get one or two things straight before I say the word "but".

This hotel is in an excellent location. Next to shops on Oxford Street as well as Bond Street. The staff are excellent & the general atmosphere in the place is good. I stayed her for 3 nights and was put into room 124. This is where it took a downturn!!!

To enter each lobby you have to zap your room card in the key hole. Room 124 is right on this doorway so I had the recurring nightmare each evening of EVERYONE at all hours on my floor slamming the door next to my room!!!! This happens all night and was terrible to deal with in regard to getting sleep. The room (superior) are very very small so be warned if you are looking for space.

My room faced the outside street at the entrance to the hotel so every car & moving vehicle who stopped or slammed its doors woke me up (which was pretty much every ½ hour between 2am and 8am). Also as my 1st night was a Friday so all the revellers leaving the busy bar at night made it very very noisy.

You may ask did I ask for a move after the 1st night?? the answer is no as I do not like making a fuss and thought it maybe just a slight mishap. WRONG. It happened the 2nd night and as we were leaving to return home on the 3rd night I thought it silly to move. Let me get is straight that the hotel has all the makings of a 5 star hotel but if you like 8-9 hours sleep take the warning DO NOT GO!!!! You have been warned.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer

Please accept my sincere apologies that your sleep was disturb by both exterior and interior noise. The 'door swipes' you refer to are in place to ensure the security of our guests, ensuring only residents can get onto the guest floors. I am terribly sorry that the position of your room suffered from disturbances from this door. Please be assured that the hotel has many rooms which are in a more secluded position and I am sure these would be more suitable for your needs should you choose to return.

Thank you for you fair critique of the hotel, I sincerely hope with have an opportunity of welcoming you back to the May Fair sometime in the future and are able to demonstrate that a peaceful night can be had when staying with us.