“Great location, very comfortable and has a vibe about it”
Review of The May Fair Hotel

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #218 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Melbourne
“Great location, very comfortable and has a vibe about it”
Reviewed 23 May 2010

The hotel was a great place to stay - very central. Facilities (restaurant and bars) are great. The bar in particular is uber cool! Some nights there was a bit of noise from the surrounding night clubs but not too excessive. Hotel would not store luggage for one night while I travelled to stay one night in Paris - I thought this was a bit short-sighted given I was returning to the Mayfair Hotel to stay for a few more nights. However, I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
MayFairHotel, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 24 May 2010
Dear Reviewer

Further to your recent stay at the May Fair Hotel I am in receipt of your comments which you very kindly took the time to complete online.

I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay with, in particular our 'uber' cool May Fair Bar. I hope we can welcome you back soon to enjoy a cocktails or two!

Thank you for this very helpful feedback.

Charles P. Oak

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Holland
Reviewed 20 May 2010

Pretty busy hotel. With two children we booked (touroperator not directly at he hotel) two connected rooms. First night after a lot of delay and discussion we got a 4 persons room (twwo double beds). Next day we got our two rooms but only late in the afternoon. Because iit is a busy hotel one morning there was not sufficient breakfast. Expected better service specailly because we stayed rather a long period. Actually thibk it is not worth the 5 stars.
Great location!
Afterwards the management acknowledged the incovenience and offered excuse!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
MayFairHotel, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2010
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on this site.

I am sincerely sorry your stay did not meet your expectations, we truly do straive to have each and everyone of our guests leave feeling refreshed and happy with their trip, it is saddening to read that this was not the case.

I appreciate that you would not wish to return to the hotel, but feel that given the opportunity we could demonstrate the of service and style befitting of a five star hotel.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 May 2010

The hotel staff is what makes this place. They are on top of everything. After several meetings you were confident that nothing was missed back at the hotel - dry cleaning, reservations, etc. Top notch service and an excellent location.

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for kindly taking the time to write your feedback following your recent stay at the May Fair Hotel.

I was delighted to read your comments in particular the very nice remarks relating to our staff.

I would like to thank you for this very helpful feedback and I sincerely hope we have an opportunity of welcoming you back to the May Fair sometime in the future.

christina_nacr
Reviewed 17 May 2010

I celebrated my 21st at the Mayfair hotel and I stayed in the Schiaparelli suite for 2 nights.
On the night of the celebration my guests were greeted very warmly and there were signs in the hotel reception pointing to my suite (which I didn't ask for, but it was a lovely touch).
The caterers were all very well dressed and well mannered and the food and cocktails were absolutely fabulous.
The room is very young and funky. It is Very spacious and clean. The decoration and attention to detail is impeccable.
After my guests and I headed to the club the room was clean as new (as you might guess 20 guests can make quite a bit of a mess).
The bed was very comfortable and so was the bath tub.
There were 2 big televisions and a lovely cd player, WiFi access, ironing board etc.
I also went for a 4hr long spa treatment and it was lovely and refreshing to take all the stress away.
The casino in the hotel was great fun and we enjoyed that quite a lot.
I dined at both the Amba bar and the Mayfair bar and enjoyed the food very much.
Checking in and out was very smooth and fast.
The concierge was very kind and helpful and he was a true gentleman.
The only issues were that first I did not think that the quality of the breakfast was that great. It did have a bit of variety but I found it a bit tasteless.
The other issue was that the room service did take their sweet time.
My partner loves tea and it would take anything up to 20 minutes to bring up a pot of tea and biscuits!
Overall, I highly recommend the Mayfair hotel for a relaxing holiday or for any social events.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for staying at the May FAir hotel on your recent visit to London, I was thrilled to read that we were able to make your 21st Birthday a memorable one.

Feedback such as this is essential to ensure we constantly monitor our standards, and I am pleased to read that in most areas we exceeded your expectations. Naturally I was somewhat disappointed to hear that breakfast was not up to standard and I have shared this feedback with the Resturant and Food and Beverage Team.

Once again please alow me to thank you for this very helpful feedback and I sincerely hope we have an opportunity of welcoming you back to the May Fair sometime in the future.

New Jersey
Reviewed 16 May 2010

Flying overnight from North America is always a challenge for business travelors. After landing in UK in the early morning following an abbreviated night of sleep, a business traveler has two choices; (1) to freshen up at an airport lounge and check into his or her hotel at 3:00 to 4:00 pm or (2) to pay extra for an early check in at 8:00 or 9:00 AM.

I chose the latter course. When I arrived at the May Fair Hotel, looking a little bedraggeled from an all night flight and with my reservation in hand, the reception desk feigned ignorance of my early reservation and told me to leave the hotel, "we are full." and come back between 3 and 6 pm. "we may have a room for you then."

Half asleep and dragging a week's worth of luggage with me, I spent the next six hours sitting on a bench at a train station drinking coffeee to stay awake and e-mailing my London salesmen of my curious predictament. He assured me that "yes the early check in had been confired

When I arrived back to the May Fair at three-thirty pm, the story had changed. My local saleman had contacted May Fair management. Now the desk said "We have been trying to get you tell all morning to tell you that your room was immediately availailable." I dont want to doubt their story but I note that my cellular phone had no calls from the May Fair in its memoriy and my e-mail had no communications from May Fair.

Was the May Fair room pleasant and clean - yes. Was the location convenient -- yes. But if you are a travelor flying east to London on an overnight flight, its better avoid this hotel.

2 Thank Wharton78
Dear Reviewer

I have tried to reposnd to this twice previoulsy so sincerely hope this is published.

Further to your exteemeley poor experience whilst staying with us I would like to offer my most sincere apologies. We do operate a 'pre reg' system for bookings which require an early check in, whereby the guest books the night prior to arrival to ensure a room is ready and clean for them when they arrive as during periods of high occupancy we do need to wait for guests to check out at mid day before we can service rooms. There is no excuse if a pre reg room was booked as you state that this should not be ready and I am at a loss to explain this.

I am so sorry that your stay was spoilt by this incident and should you be returning to the London I am sure we would be able to alter your perception.

Charles P. Oak

Your review serves as a great motivator to the team here at the Hotel.

Linlithgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2010

The Hotel is beautiful and in a fantastic location and i would recommend for these reasons but i paid £230 for a room, i was given a tiny corner room and i was not happy so i requested to move room. I was then moved but to a room which was slightly bigger but no bath so i requested to be moved again. Finally i was put in a room, still small, but with a bath. To be honest i could have paid half the price and stayed in holiday inn right next to the Mayfair.

It is a beautiful hotel, great staff, AMAZING breakfast but i was really dissapointed with the room size, oh and the lifts are AWFUL. i must half lost at least half an hour over the weekend waiting for the lifts, absolutely awful. The hotel reception was so busy with bus tours so seemed a bit downmarket due to this, didn't make to much difference to me just a bad perception.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ckennedy7
Dear Reviewer

Further to your recent stay at the May Fair Hotel I am in receipt of your feedback which you very kindly took the time to complete online.

Feedback such as this is essential to ensure we constantly monitor our standards and procedures to eliminate errors. I was sorry to read that you did not feel the room(s) allocated were acceptable. We are a large hotel and have a variety of different room types and layouts and I am sure should you return we would be able to find something whoch suited your requirements. Rates fluctate depending on availability, local events, time of year etc, I am sorry you felt your particular rate was not justified.

I was however very pleased to note that you found our staff and breakfast more than satisfactory.

Thank you for this very helpful feedback and I sincerely hope we have an opportunity of welcoming you back to the May Fair sometime in the future.

Belgium
Reviewed 13 May 2010

The staff was very helpfull, we want to know an adress of a shop, he just looked for us and made a paper with the coordinations. Nice breakfast, you can choose between buffet and the menu. Defenitly a hotel where I should come back!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer

Your review serves as a great motivator to the team here at the Hotel and I was thrilled to read that you had such an enjoyable stay with us.