“Brilliant Hotel, One of the best in London”
Review of The May Fair Hotel

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #216 of 1,068 Hotels in London
New Delhi
“Brilliant Hotel, One of the best in London”
Reviewed 28 May 2010

I stayed in the Mayfair from the 4th of May to the 6th 2010. The Check in was one of the most efficient i have seen in London. The Room was absolutely new with a large bathroom with a Tub and Shower. I loved the B&G TV and the I pod Dock was like the hotel moving with the times!
This kind of Room and Bathroom are unheard of in London Hotels and having stayed in most of the better ones, this was the best.( maybe I was lucky to get this large room )
The Location is Fantastic, the bar simply amazing and and the Amba Grill was great as well. The only issue was the pappazi waiting outside for some celebrity guest which was a little annoying.
Overall a Fantastic Stay and would Highly recommend this for any Business Traveller due to the free Internet Connection in the Room.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
MayFairHotel, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2010
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for hsraing such a positive experience on this site. It is very rewarding to read such comments and this kind of review acts as a great motivator to the team here at the Hotel.

We do have a variety of different room types at the hotel and I was thrilled that the one you were allocated exceeded your expectations.

Given this experience I sincerely hope we are able to welcome you back in the near future for more of the same!.

Charles P. Oak

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ireland
Reviewed 25 May 2010

When staying in a certain hotel, in a certain part of the city, you’d expect a certain level of service and quality – don’t expect either at The May fair, Stratton Street in London.

We were forced to move hotel rooms three times after being allocated the following:

Room 1 - beside a tiled service area that starts operating at 5am.*
Room 2 - across the road from 3 London nightclubs and multiple restaurants.*
Room 3 - beside the ice machine and a linen cupboard. Room inclusive of dried blood stains and a tipped out bucket of cigarette butts outside the bedroom window.*

* ALL of the above had filthy splash back marble tiles behind the sink with dried toothpaste and dirty watermarks.

There was no empathy or sincere apology upon checkout despite the staff being aware that we were in 3 rooms within 41 hours and had stayed at their hotel before.

Clearly the London hotel industry is not suffering in these difficult times, but basic customer service and anticipation of guests requirements have been completely overlooked by the May fair and we strongly advise an alternative hotel to stay in as to avoid a sleep deprived weekend.

On a final note, when attempting to check in for my flight, their "buisness centre" had one terminal that was functioning so I had to make the suggestion to the deputy manager to use the Concierge's computer.

Oh, and a tip if you're in the bar having a Sunday afternoon drink - bring earplugs as it appears the bar staff do all the cleaning up and vacuuming clearly oblivious that patrons are drinking and eating in the same room.

If it wasn't for the fantastic Liverpudlian bar staff and Dave at Concierge, catching up with darling friends, relations, spending time with my boyfriend and seeing Billy Elliot, we would have sued for sleep deprivation.

At all costs, avoid this hotel...

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank AndriaM
Dear Andria

Apologies that a reply has not displayed before now but I have replied twice without it being published. I sincerely hope this one is.

Naturally the account of your stay at the May Fair is deeply concerning, and I can not try and justify the myriad of problems you encounetered. I would like to stress that this is certainly not the standard you should expect when staying at the May Fair.

My sincere apologies, I appreciate that you would not wish to return but I do feel confident that if you did we would be able to alter your current peception.

MUNSTER
Reviewed 24 May 2010

Chose this hotel last minute as a hush hush hotel. We were really really happy with it, the hotel was so central-location perfect, service was impeccable, bed really comfortable and all-in-all would have no hesitation in staying there again. Only slight down side was the small bedroom, quiet small but would not deter me from staying there again!!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review, I am glad we came up in your 'hush hush' hotel selection!

Delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable stay with us, and a good nights sleep.

I would like to thank you for this very helpful feedback and I sincerely hope we have an opportunity of welcoming you back to the May Fair sometime in the future.

Melbourne
Reviewed 23 May 2010

The hotel was a great place to stay - very central. Facilities (restaurant and bars) are great. The bar in particular is uber cool! Some nights there was a bit of noise from the surrounding night clubs but not too excessive. Hotel would not store luggage for one night while I travelled to stay one night in Paris - I thought this was a bit short-sighted given I was returning to the Mayfair Hotel to stay for a few more nights. However, I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
MayFairHotel, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 24 May 2010
Dear Reviewer

Further to your recent stay at the May Fair Hotel I am in receipt of your comments which you very kindly took the time to complete online.

I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay with, in particular our 'uber' cool May Fair Bar. I hope we can welcome you back soon to enjoy a cocktails or two!

Thank you for this very helpful feedback.

Holland
Reviewed 20 May 2010

Pretty busy hotel. With two children we booked (touroperator not directly at he hotel) two connected rooms. First night after a lot of delay and discussion we got a 4 persons room (twwo double beds). Next day we got our two rooms but only late in the afternoon. Because iit is a busy hotel one morning there was not sufficient breakfast. Expected better service specailly because we stayed rather a long period. Actually thibk it is not worth the 5 stars.
Great location!
Afterwards the management acknowledged the incovenience and offered excuse!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on this site.

I am sincerely sorry your stay did not meet your expectations, we truly do straive to have each and everyone of our guests leave feeling refreshed and happy with their trip, it is saddening to read that this was not the case.

I appreciate that you would not wish to return to the hotel, but feel that given the opportunity we could demonstrate the of service and style befitting of a five star hotel.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 May 2010

The hotel staff is what makes this place. They are on top of everything. After several meetings you were confident that nothing was missed back at the hotel - dry cleaning, reservations, etc. Top notch service and an excellent location.

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for kindly taking the time to write your feedback following your recent stay at the May Fair Hotel.

I was delighted to read your comments in particular the very nice remarks relating to our staff.

christina_nacr
Reviewed 17 May 2010

I celebrated my 21st at the Mayfair hotel and I stayed in the Schiaparelli suite for 2 nights.
On the night of the celebration my guests were greeted very warmly and there were signs in the hotel reception pointing to my suite (which I didn't ask for, but it was a lovely touch).
The caterers were all very well dressed and well mannered and the food and cocktails were absolutely fabulous.
The room is very young and funky. It is Very spacious and clean. The decoration and attention to detail is impeccable.
After my guests and I headed to the club the room was clean as new (as you might guess 20 guests can make quite a bit of a mess).
The bed was very comfortable and so was the bath tub.
There were 2 big televisions and a lovely cd player, WiFi access, ironing board etc.
I also went for a 4hr long spa treatment and it was lovely and refreshing to take all the stress away.
The casino in the hotel was great fun and we enjoyed that quite a lot.
I dined at both the Amba bar and the Mayfair bar and enjoyed the food very much.
Checking in and out was very smooth and fast.
The concierge was very kind and helpful and he was a true gentleman.
The only issues were that first I did not think that the quality of the breakfast was that great. It did have a bit of variety but I found it a bit tasteless.
The other issue was that the room service did take their sweet time.
My partner loves tea and it would take anything up to 20 minutes to bring up a pot of tea and biscuits!
Overall, I highly recommend the Mayfair hotel for a relaxing holiday or for any social events.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for staying at the May FAir hotel on your recent visit to London, I was thrilled to read that we were able to make your 21st Birthday a memorable one.

Feedback such as this is essential to ensure we constantly monitor our standards, and I am pleased to read that in most areas we exceeded your expectations. Naturally I was somewhat disappointed to hear that breakfast was not up to standard and I have shared this feedback with the Resturant and Food and Beverage Team.

Once again please alow me to thank you for this very helpful feedback and I sincerely hope we have an opportunity of welcoming you back to the May Fair sometime in the future.