“Not worth the price”
Review of The May Fair Hotel

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #223 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 1 June 2010

Room and bathroom were very large. Bed was comfortable.

Street noise was terrible even though we were on the 8th floor. The door to the hallway was not sealed very well and anytime someone walked by it sounded like they were in the room.

Only ate breakfast there one morning (even though it was included in our room rate) because we had to wait almost 20 minutes for a table and the buffet was not re-stocked very well during our breakfast.

One shining star: the service manager on shift when we checked in the afternoon of May 27- we had a mix-up with our room rate - we booked a special package on the internet, but the reservation with the hotel did not show the extras (free breakfast/internet etc). He fixed this immediately and followed up with us several times to make sure all was OK during our stay.

Nothing exceptional about this hotel except the location - 2 minute walk to Green Park tube stop (Picadilly Line which goes directly to Heathrow!).

WIll look for another hotel for our next trip to London.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
MayFairHotel, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2010

Dear Reviewer

I am in receipt of your feedback which you very kindly took the time to complete online, for which I thank you. Feedback, good or bad is imperative to our business so we can establish where we are failing to delivery and address it.

I note your comments about the noise and would like to update you to advise we have recently undertaken works to fit additional secondary glazing to eliminate these issues.

Thank you for ackowledging the good customer service and efforts of our Duty Manager, this is very much appreciated.

Naturally I am saddened to read that you would not be returning to the May Fair in the future as I feel confident we would be able to alter your current perception.

Charles P. Oak

Write a ReviewReviews (4,897)

Reviewed 28 May 2010

I stayed in the Mayfair from the 4th of May to the 6th 2010. The Check in was one of the most efficient i have seen in London. The Room was absolutely new with a large bathroom with a Tub and Shower. I loved the B&G TV and the I pod Dock was like the hotel moving with the times!
This kind of Room and Bathroom are unheard of in London Hotels and having stayed in most of the better ones, this was the best.( maybe I was lucky to get this large room )
The Location is Fantastic, the bar simply amazing and and the Amba Grill was great as well. The only issue was the pappazi waiting outside for some celebrity guest which was a little annoying.
Overall a Fantastic Stay and would Highly recommend this for any Business Traveller due to the free Internet Connection in the Room.

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for hsraing such a positive experience on this site. It is very rewarding to read such comments and this kind of review acts as a great motivator to the team here at the Hotel.

We do have a variety of different room types at the hotel and I was thrilled that the one you were allocated exceeded your expectations.

Given this experience I sincerely hope we are able to welcome you back in the near future for more of the same!.

Reviewed 25 May 2010

When staying in a certain hotel, in a certain part of the city, you’d expect a certain level of service and quality – don’t expect either at The May fair, Stratton Street in London.

We were forced to move hotel rooms three times after being allocated the following:

Room 1 - beside a tiled service area that starts operating at 5am.*
Room 2 - across the road from 3 London nightclubs and multiple restaurants.*
Room 3 - beside the ice machine and a linen cupboard. Room inclusive of dried blood stains and a tipped out bucket of cigarette butts outside the bedroom window.*

* ALL of the above had filthy splash back marble tiles behind the sink with dried toothpaste and dirty watermarks.

There was no empathy or sincere apology upon checkout despite the staff being aware that we were in 3 rooms within 41 hours and had stayed at their hotel before.

Clearly the London hotel industry is not suffering in these difficult times, but basic customer service and anticipation of guests requirements have been completely overlooked by the May fair and we strongly advise an alternative hotel to stay in as to avoid a sleep deprived weekend.

On a final note, when attempting to check in for my flight, their "buisness centre" had one terminal that was functioning so I had to make the suggestion to the deputy manager to use the Concierge's computer.

Oh, and a tip if you're in the bar having a Sunday afternoon drink - bring earplugs as it appears the bar staff do all the cleaning up and vacuuming clearly oblivious that patrons are drinking and eating in the same room.

If it wasn't for the fantastic Liverpudlian bar staff and Dave at Concierge, catching up with darling friends, relations, spending time with my boyfriend and seeing Billy Elliot, we would have sued for sleep deprivation.

At all costs, avoid this hotel...

4  Thank AndriaM

Dear Andria

Apologies that a reply has not displayed before now but I have replied twice without it being published. I sincerely hope this one is.

Naturally the account of your stay at the May Fair is deeply concerning, and I can not try and justify the myriad of problems you encounetered. I would like to stress that this is certainly not the standard you should expect when staying at the May Fair.

My sincere apologies, I appreciate that you would not wish to return but I do feel confident that if you did we would be able to alter your current peception.

Reviewed 24 May 2010

Chose this hotel last minute as a hush hush hotel. We were really really happy with it, the hotel was so central-location perfect, service was impeccable, bed really comfortable and all-in-all would have no hesitation in staying there again. Only slight down side was the small bedroom, quiet small but would not deter me from staying there again!!!

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review, I am glad we came up in your 'hush hush' hotel selection!

Delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable stay with us, and a good nights sleep.

I would like to thank you for this very helpful feedback and I sincerely hope we have an opportunity of welcoming you back to the May Fair sometime in the future.

Reviewed 23 May 2010

The hotel was a great place to stay - very central. Facilities (restaurant and bars) are great. The bar in particular is uber cool! Some nights there was a bit of noise from the surrounding night clubs but not too excessive. Hotel would not store luggage for one night while I travelled to stay one night in Paris - I thought this was a bit short-sighted given I was returning to the Mayfair Hotel to stay for a few more nights. However, I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
MayFairHotel, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2010

Dear Reviewer

Further to your recent stay at the May Fair Hotel I am in receipt of your comments which you very kindly took the time to complete online.

I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay with, in particular our 'uber' cool May Fair Bar. I hope we can welcome you back soon to enjoy a cocktails or two!

Thank you for this very helpful feedback.

Reviewed 20 May 2010

Pretty busy hotel. With two children we booked (touroperator not directly at he hotel) two connected rooms. First night after a lot of delay and discussion we got a 4 persons room (twwo double beds). Next day we got our two rooms but only late in the afternoon. Because iit is a busy hotel one morning there was not sufficient breakfast. Expected better service specailly because we stayed rather a long period. Actually thibk it is not worth the 5 stars.
Great location!
Afterwards the management acknowledged the incovenience and offered excuse!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on this site.

I am sincerely sorry your stay did not meet your expectations, we truly do straive to have each and everyone of our guests leave feeling refreshed and happy with their trip, it is saddening to read that this was not the case.

I appreciate that you would not wish to return to the hotel, but feel that given the opportunity we could demonstrate the of service and style befitting of a five star hotel.

Reviewed 18 May 2010

The hotel staff is what makes this place. They are on top of everything. After several meetings you were confident that nothing was missed back at the hotel - dry cleaning, reservations, etc. Top notch service and an excellent location.

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for kindly taking the time to write your feedback following your recent stay at the May Fair Hotel.

I was delighted to read your comments in particular the very nice remarks relating to our staff.