“Pricey, fabulous, but problems with booking ruined my experience”
Review of The May Fair Hotel

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #222 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 3 November 2010

The negatives: Had booked last minute as a treat for a friend's hen do for £358 for a junior suite through laterooms. However, when I checked-in (bang on 3pm) was unpleasently surprised to be greeted by a very oddly (long) shaped room on the first view with an awful view over the roof of the kitchen, or something. Called reception, after a long wait was called back by the guest relations manager(!), a very stroppy lady who eventually told us that the room we had booked had not actually still been available at the time of booking and therefore they had down-graded us, but still taken payment for the full rate when we checked in- unbelievable behaviour! Anyway, without boring you with the details, about an hour of negotiations ensued after which we were offered a bottle of Cava (NOT Champagne!) and a £100 rebate, which, as I pointed out, was less than we could've saved by just booking a Standard Room at the time of booking. After much further debate we were offered a further £30 rebate and made to feel very petty for asking.
Positives: There is no doubt that this is a stunning hotel in an amazing location- a truly high-class experience, that I would probably still give a caveated recommendation.
I didn't eat or drink here, though heard it was extortionate- but, would expect no less in Central London.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
MayFairHotel, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2010

Dear Reviewer

Further to your recent stay at the May Fair Hotel I am in receipt of your feedback which you very kindly took the time to complete online.

Naturally I was very sorry to read that having booked a Junior Suite we were unable to provide this category of room, this is most unusual and I can fully appreciate how disappointed yiou must have been. Please accept my apologies that the Guest relations Manager you spoke did not resolve the matter to your satisfaction promptly and professionally, this is most incongurous and I am deeply sorry for this experience.

I would like to thank you for this very helpful feedback.

Anthony Lee

Write a ReviewReviews (4,894)

Reviewed 3 November 2010

A little late but haven't got round to leaving a review earlier......

We stayed at The Mayfair for the weekend for the first time in November 2009 and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We paid extra for a Deluxe room and we had breakfast included in our rate. When we arrived our room wasn't ready but we were offered complimentary tea/coffee in the restaurant, great touch! The room was extremely spacious, very clean, lovely bathroom and the service was second to none.... I have family in London and recommended it to everyone I spoke to... We were so impressed we decided to treat ourselves and booked again for New Years Eve.

Well, to say it was going to cost us a lot more than our last stay, how disappointing!! Again our Deluxe room was not ready but no offer of tea/coffee, when we eventually got to our room it was at the back of the hotel and our view was a brick wall, which made the room very dark and cold!! I politely asked if there was any way we could be moved, to a room at the front of the building, "Of course", no problem, we were moved to a smoking room, which was quite small!!! The smell was unbearable, when I called reception they insisted it was a non-smoking room!! I explained that I couldn't stand the smell and asked if we could be moved again!! We waited & waited & waited!!!!! Reception eventually moved us, after many calls, to what was reserved for a 'VIP' but they said we could have the room, but we were made to feel extremely unwelcome!! There has been fruit in the room for the unknown VIP, which the receptionist removed......

On checking out we explained that we were bitterly disappointed by the service that we had received, as a good will gesture the receptionist offered us a complimentary upgrade on our next visit, which made up for all the hassle and a whole afternoon of our New Year break wasted moving rooms!! We left happy and would definitely stay again UNTIL i called the booking office to book our next stay again for this November and was informed that there was no record of the upgrade offer on our bookings record, therefore this would not be possible!!

This is a beautiful hotel, but sadly I will not stay there again as we were so disappointed with the service that we received!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for posting your review following your stay last year, all reviews, no mater how delayed are useful and help us address areas where we may be failing to meet our service potentail.

I would like to assure you that such poor experiences are thankfully rare and sincerely hope to welcome you back in the future to demonstrate the great customer service I know the team are capable of.

Reviewed 1 November 2010

Stayed recently with my Mum, as part of a birthday present. The room was ok - beds were lovely - but singles, bathroom nice, but very slippery when wet floor. There also appeared to be no obvious way of controlling the room temp and was very hot (stickers telling you not to open windows).
The service was the main thing to let this hotel down. Breakfast on Saturday morning in the self service restaurant and was tepid to say the least and we had to wait quite a while for coffee and then some hot water. For evening dinner, we booked the pre-theatre dinner, and were assured that an hour would be long enough to eat and be ready to leave for the show. It took two waiters three attempts and 20 mins just to get us the right menu! We ended up cancelling the dinner with 5 minutes to spare before having to leave the hotel and find a cab. Thankfully they had given us some bread (!), and with apologies, said our wine would be complimentary,
On our return to the hotel, the bar had stopped serving food and on talking to the concierge, explaining the dinner situation, we were told that we needed to understand that the food had to be cooked! He eventually said we could have a bottle wine 'on him'. A small gesture considering how starving we were.
Room service eventually arrived after 40 minutes, with the pot of fresh filter coffee we asked for, actually being a pot of the same instant stuff that was in the room. & they only provided one cup!
The following morning, breakfast was in the main area where the food was cooked fresh and was actually hot and very nice!
On checking the bill, it was discovered we had been charged for an umbrella we had borrowed and returned (£20 - and it was broken!) and also for the glassess of wine we had with our non existent meal. Thankfully on querying these, they were promptly taken off the bill, but after the stress of the night before it would have been nice to not have had to query anything.
All in all, the staff on the Sunday morning were much more polite and helpful than the staff on Saturday night. There were 2 private parties in the hotel Saturday evening, one of which had sole use of one the 3 very slow lifts, and I can't help but wonder if it was just our faces and wallets that didn't quite fit?!

• Stayed: October 2010

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your comments.

I am sincerely sorry for the problems you encountered during your stay. It would be churlish of me to try and justify or explain the plethora of poor servcie and issues expereinced, quite simpply we failed you as a guest and no doubt have lost our opportunity of your future patronage.

I would like to thank you for this feedback, although uncomforatble to read we rely on the frank form of review to help us address issues and improve.

Reviewed 1 November 2010

My family and I spent the Halloween weekend in this nice hotel.
Upon arrival, the manager wanted to see me. He proposed exchanging my spacious family room with a posh and wonderful suite (at no extra cost). The glitch was that the suite had one queen sized bed only. The manager sought to reassure me by saying that the hotel was ready to add a cot to accommodate one of my two children. In practical terms, my 7 year old daughter should have slept with my wife and I, while my 5 year old boy in a cot. When I gently turned down this "generous offer", the young manager was visibly irritated and told me that family rooms were overbooked. He also added that my room would have been ready at 4pm.
I then went downstairs to store my luggage and to make sure to have my family room ready in the afternoon. The lady at the reception desk asked my name, passport and credit card details. When I was asked to sign the print of my credit card, I told the lady that the name on the sheet was not mine (very similar, but it was not me). She then took another print of my credit card. She also told me that the hotel would call me to inform me when the room was ready (nobody did)
Around 6pm, I came back to the hotel to check-in. Another lady at the reception asked me to take my credit card details. I replied that the hotel had already taken these details twice. She said there was not record of my credit card details. When I firmly told her that I would have refused to give the hotel my credit card details for the third time, she went to see the manager who finally agreed to let me in.
In my humble opinion, episodes of this kind should never occur in a 5 star hotel.

Family rooms are nice and spacious. The location of the hotel is great. The concierge, Mr Dave, was excellent. He placed several phone calls to find a pleasant restaurant in London on that busy night. Mr Dave was polite, effective and his professional behaviour partly offset the "warm welcome" of the reception desk.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to provide comprehensive feedback of your recent stay.

I am deeply sorry that your time with us was not the 5 star experience you should expect, I am very disappointed that certain members of the team did not provide the professional and welcoming service that each and everyone of our guests should enjoy.

Clearly we failed to meet your expectations for which I offer my sincere apologies. I do however feel confident that should you return we would be able to alter your current view and demonstrate that we do have a team that is passionate about great customer care.

Reviewed 1 November 2010

I booked this hotel through our travel agent, and because it was a special trip for our daughters 40th birthday decided to go for something really special for the weekend.
Unfortunately the whole experience was very mixed and I would not reccomend the hotel as a 5* facility.
Firstly the good things:
The position of the hotel could not be much better, just off Picadilly, close to Regent St., Bond St., Oxford St., etc, and fabulous for window shopping nearby. Parks and river close also if the shops get too much.
Many of the staff very helpful, and the beds were very comfortable and rooms warm.
Breakfast on Sunday was in the main restaurant, and very good indeed, with lovely staff who were very responsive.
Sadly the problems outnumbered the good things:
The room was disappointingly small, with single beds (as opposed to the American style doubles that one is used to these days in hotels that are 3* 4* or 5*). It was also VERY NOISY outside the room and I cannot help but think that we were put in a room that is used for single travellers and women. Sadly I often notice that women are put in rooms that are less than ideal, particularly if one is not a business traveller.
On Saturday morning it was clear that the hotel was struggling to cater for the number of guests and we were sent into a back room for breakfast which was described as "self-service". In effect it was a hot and cold buffet. When we got our food it was tepid and the bacon was undercooked, so we had to leave it. Mentioning it to the staff was hopeless because they didn't seem to understand what we were talking about. I also asked for a pot of hot water for my coffee, and it came around 15 mintues later, by which time the coffee was cold anyway.
In the evening we were going to the theatre, had planned to have a pre-theatre meal, which was both advertised on the website and also within the hotel. I called a week in advance to check whether I should book, and if so what time, and was reassured that as long as we were there for 6.00 pm we would be "fine". This was reiterated in the hotel, but to be on the safe side we booked a table emphasising that we wanted the pre-theatre meal. In the event we arrived 5 minutes late, and were reassured that we could be out for 7.00 to get a taxi in time for the theatre. This was not the case. We were given the full menu twice before the pre-theatre one came at 6.20. Again we were reassured that we would be "fine" although our anxiety was increasing, and we doubted that we would enjoy the food even if it did come on time. In the event it got to 6.45 and the food had still not come - and the waiter (who was as anxious as us by this point) seemed to be avoiding us.
We left the restaurant very hungry and having had a glass of wine which we were told was "on the house"
Wrong
The doorman was very unhelpful when we explained the need for a taxi urgently, and said he could neither find one for us in time, nor did he know when one would be coming along. We went down to Picadilly and the doorman at the Ritz was great, and told us the best place to get a cab which we did within moments.
We got back from the theatre at around 11.00, by which time the restaurant had closed, as had Sainsburys over the road, so the only option was to have room service, which was very limited and very pricey. The Concierge did provide a free bottle of wine when we told him about the problems that we had, but he was also very rude to us, implying that the problem earlier in the evening was OUR fault, and were we not aware that food "takes time to cook". I also asked for a pot of filter coffee with the meal, and when it arrived it was clearly instant, and they only gave us one cup. When my daugter commented on this the waiter said "use one from the room"
our "free wine" was clearly a cheap one, not of our choice and we left most of it because it was not good. I think that a complementary meal was the least that could have been offered but the hotel was very busy with a couple of high profile parties going on, and the staff were not interested in two hungry and fed up "ordinary" guests.
When I checked out the bill on Sunday I found that the hire charge of £20.00 for an umbrella had not been removed despite the concierge checking it back when we returned it, and our "free" wine from the non-existent pre-theatre meal was also charged. While both of these were removed when I pointed it out, it was further hassle and all contributed to our disappointment about what should have been a wonderful and once in a liftetime experience for our daughter and I.
Next time it will be the Holiday Inn round the corner I am afraid!

• Stayed: October 2010

This is a duplicate review which has already been answered.

Reviewed 31 October 2010

Stay in the mayfair all the time......we don't live that far away that we have to but sometimes nice just to stay close after a night out and make a weekend of it! We used to stay in the Sanderson but unless u go for a suite the rooms are far too basic. I love The May Fair and think it has such a relaxed approach that it makes staying very enjoyable! I like Radissons in general and always stay in the Edwardian in Manchester too. The massive bonus and something we really appreciate is we never get the 12:10 call from reception to see why we haven't checked out yet. We have stayed in the room as late as 3pm and never been bothered, not even once. The hotel has a really good atmosphere but the one thing i would say lets it down is the food and cocktails at the bar. Have eaten at the bar only twice and been really disappointed on both occasions. Something that really annoyed me on my first trip there was when i asked the waiter if the cocktails were honestly good cocktails. He arrogantly answered back ''is that a rhetorical question...of course they are'' and i have to say on the 4 or 5 occasions i have ordered a frozen strawberry daiquiri i have been more than disappointed with my watery slush puppy. In both bars they have always failed to deliver and the last time i was there i actually had to send it back as it was undrinkable. It has been a different bar tender each time so i am guessing they don't have any kind of proper mixologist training as if they did they wouldn't be as poor as they are. I make them myself and they are so easy so for 12 quid or whatever it is i would expect the guys to know what they are doing! Maybe something for the management to look into as i will prob not eat or drink cocktails in the bar again. I have to say though the room service is gorgeous! I ordered the same thing at the bar that i had ordered in the room but it was like a different meal. Bland and tasteless yet in the room it was scrumptious! Very strange as usually the other way around!! My husband ate at the restaurant for the first time last week and he said the food was really good so maybe we will just go there instead in future as we do like chilling out here before we venture home. it is a bit of a party hotel so if you're looking a chilled relaxing one this is probably not the place to go but if u want fun, a central location, a buzzing atmosphere and an extended lie in then this is the one!! One more thing they could do to improve the hotel massively is have a residents bar that serves later than 2pm. I think this really lets the hotel down. We sometimes don't even go out for dinner until 11pm so by the time we get back to the hotel we don't have any time left to chill at the bar afterwards so the only option is the mini bar in the room. Not very cosmopolitan!!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review, I am sure this will prove very helpful to future guests looking to make an educated decision when looking for accomodation.

I am delighted you enjoy your stays with us, however I am disappointed you have enjoyed drinks in the bar as this is something the May Fair Bar is very proud of, we have had some new staff in the Amba bar but all are trained. We are actually planning to re-launch the Amba restaurant next year with a complete refurb so please do try us one reopen. We have also recently launch a dedicated champagne bar in the May Fair Bar with special champagne and food pairings.

I would like to thank you for this very helpful feedback and I sincerely hope we have an opportunity of welcoming you back to the May Fair sometime in the future.

Reviewed 30 October 2010

Normally I'd wax lyrical about the restaurant (9/10), the rooms (10/10), the bar (10/10), the bed (11/10) or the room service (10/10) but this hotel's spa is still one of the best I've been to in the world. You have to go! :-D

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business

Dear Reviewer

Wow! thank you so much for this review, it is reading feedback like this which drives us to do the job we do.

Cant wait to welcome you back.