“tranquility”

Ranked #24 of 1,063 Hotels in London
York, United Kingdom
“tranquility”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

great hotel, lacks some of the amenities of bigger hotels but more than compensates through the exceptional quality of accomodation, relaxation, staffing and service. nowhere else i stay in london offers the same degree of relaxation and quality. a home from home

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Turin, Italy
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We spent 5 nights at the Draycott between Xmas and New Year's Eve in December 2013.
As we expceted we had a wonderful stay in a truly British atmosphere and really hope to go back very soon!!
The hotel itself is composed by three wonderful town-houses, therefore expect many steps and maze like corridors, which in our opinion, add charm to the property.
The feel you get, as many have already said, is that of a welcoming home away from home, but with excellend and friendly sevice and all the spoils that make your stay a truly wonderful one.
We had booked a superior double romm which was wonderful: we stayed in Sheridan which is on the 4th floor, has a king size bed with coronet, a wonderful fìgas fireplace and a nice view over the roofs. Very good in size too. The bathroom is on the small side but is still very comfortable.
Locationwise the Draycott is unbeatable: 1 minute from Sloane Square underground station , walking distance to Harrods and even Buckingham Palace....
We really enjoyed coming back from a dense day of sightseeing and shopping with a glass of champagne and also pre-bed chocolate was a very nice touch every evening!
We were on continental breakfast and found it to be plentiful and of very good quality (yoghurts are really special!).
Service was always very welcoming; from booking process, to concierge, to breakfast we were always greeted warmly and with a smile!!!
A few areas of improvement to make a stay even more comfortable could be: bottled water at turndown, body lotion in the bathroom and tea-coffee making facilities in in room (even if tea, champagne and hot chocolate are offered in the drawing room each afternoon)
Thanks to the Draycott for a wonderful and truly British London experience!!!!

Room Tip: We asked for Sheridan on the top floor with fireplace and king size bed and it was gorgeous, but I a...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I mostly appreciate the kindness of all the staff. Every my visit to London, I stay here and this year, I had the first over-Christmas stay. It was the most beautiful, peaceful and homely Christmas I ever had. Thank you very much, indeed.

Room Tip: Good and privately named classic style rooms we can enjoy.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Clarendon Hills, Illinois
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Just stayed for about the 12th time at The Draycott (we usually end up there at least once a year) and it is as wonderful as always. We have not stayed anywhere else in London since we discovered this place (why?). The location in Sloan Square is very convenient, you are right by the tube stop and there are many choices for shopping and dining within walking distance of the hotel.

The staff at the hotel is wonderful. Many of them have been there for quite a long time. They are more than happy to arrange dinner, get theater tickets or whatever you might require.

The hotel itself is very interesting. Most of the rooms are on the larger side for London. While the buildings are old, the ownership does take care to update the décor from time to time. About two years ago most of the furnishings were redone in the lower level to update the look and make it a little more modern.

The best thing about the hotel is to sit in the main lounge and relax after experiencing all of the craziness of London. Free champagne at 6PM, hot chocolate and cookies at 10PM and tea in the afternoon. Or just have a glass of wine and sit in front of the fireplace. can't be beat.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Wilbraham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 December 2013

I had a beautiful, large room overlooking a small park in this lovely boutique hotel. It is located by Sloane Square, an upscale area with a tube stop. They made a mistake and gave me a room which was larger than the one I was supposed to have. As I walked downstairs after settling in, I could hear the manager scolding the person who brought up my bags. Then, he called me into the office to tell me they gave me the wrong room but that he would let me stay in it. It was a little bit uncomfortable. Other than that, it was a wonderful stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Carpinteria, California
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I booked a room at The Draycott because I wanted an Edwardian, truly English hotel experience. I was not disappointed. I get totally confused and turned around in London, but Draycott is just a couple of blocks from the Underground Sloane Square Station, and Sloane Square is a fantastic location. Easy to get everywhere in London and a major high-end shopping area, but it is fairly calm and composed compared to The West End.

Draycott is hard to discern as a hotel, but as soon as you enter, you realize the commitment to service. Everyone is highly professional and courteous, but also very warm. They want you to have a great stay! Honestly, I am used to a bit more anonymity at a hotel; at Draycott, you have to be buzzed in every time you arrive. But how nice it was to see a smile on someone's face as they welcome you by name.

Draycott is small and has some service limitations, but they accommodate all your needs.

Regarding my room, it was warm and charming. I had a queen single which was certainly large enough, but I had no idea I would be in the basement and with the limited amount of daylight in London, I think that did have some impact on my trip. One other issue with the room, though the bathroom was reasonable in size, you could only open to the shower door on the tub a few inches, before it hit the sink next to it. Getting in and out of the tub was difficult and with the slippery surfaces, it felt a bit unsafe.

All in all though, I highly recommend the Draycott, because the quality of the service and the fantastic location make up for some of the physical limitations. I have worked in luxury hotels all of my life...I know good service...and Draycott has caring, well trained and informed staff. My hat is off to them.

Room Tip: Make certain your room is not in the basement.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Brentwood, Essex
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We have stayed before and at that time couldn't compliment it enough, but our room this time, the Laughton was a disappointment. Although large it really needs a refurb. The furnishings are dull and tired. The windows were absolutely filthy and window frames had peeling paint. The bathroom was very small.
The service this time was still very friendly but lacked the efficiency and charm of last time. The breakfast server certainly needed help, she was completely overwhelmed at one point as the breakfast room got full. It's a great hotel and we'd certainly stay again but not in the Laughton.

• Stayed December 2013