“Best way to see London”

London Self-Guided Audio Tour
Ranked #141 of 822 Tours in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: London Walks is London's award-winning, original, foremost, walking tour company. *"London's best guided walks" Time Out "London Walks was the first - and is the best - of the walking tour firms" Fodor's Great Britain
Reviewed 2 January 2014

London Walks offered the best tour service for absolutely the best price in London.
First the price: for adults the walks are only 9 pounds per person, which is a great deal. Secondly, you can get one of their Walkabout Cards for an additional 2 pounds and every walk you take after that is only 7 pounds. This truly is an excellent deal given how much time and information each guide provides.

As for the walks I took, the first day I went on the tour of the Victoria and Albert Museum in the morning and the tour of the National Gallery in the afternoon. Both tours were conducted by the most knowledgeable, informative, and interesting guide called Margaret. She was a delight! Both museums have so much to see that one could be there for days and not see everything. With London Walks, you get to see the highlights and learn about them as you go, without feeling overwhelmed by all of the pieces on display. This was perfect for me, as I was only in the city for less than a week and I wanted to get as much out of the London cultural scene as I could. I definitely felt like I got a great deal out of each of those tours and learned so much from someone who was clearly an expert.
The second and final day, I took the tour of Old Westminster with another guide (whose name I am ashamed I cannot remember) who was also quite brilliant and extremely informative. It was a very cold and windy morning in London but she was so interesting and fun to listen to that I don't think we much noticed the weather as we walked around Westminster. This is a great tour to take if you also, as I did, only have time for the highlights but want to learn about Westminster Abbey, St. James Park, Buckingham Palace, etc. I was also able to take a lot of wonderful pictures on this tour, which I also loved.
Overall, I was thoroughly impressed with London Walks and recommend them to everyone I know when they take a trip to the UK. I look forward to taking more of their walks on my next trip back!

Date of experience: February 2013
2  Thank acp0505
Write a ReviewReviews (1,939)
All reviews
in 61 reviews
"pounds per person"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed 31 December 2013

We have been going on London Walks for several years now and have NEVER been disappointed. These guided tours will get you into areas of London you would never see on your own PLUS they give you additional insight into many of the things you have already seen!
My husband is not the kind of guy who usually enjoys tours. For the very first tour, I chose one that featured pubs in the area we were staying. Inspired choice! He now is the one who finds the brochures, picks out the ones he wants to see and schedules our time around them.
My latest trip included a visit to the Tower of London and I got more interesting anecdotes from the guide than usual. Plus, there was a reduced price for entry to the Tower and we bypassed the long lineups both in the ticket lines and waiting to get in.
I cannot recommend this highly enough. Do it.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Four adult members of our family did 3 of these walks while in London recently. The first was a walk around Maida Vale, the Victorian houses and the canals of Little Venice. Learned heaps about history, much gossip about people who lived there and got very sore feet (could have done without the rather dull side trip to St. Mary's Church on Paddington Green. Learned lots of interesting things about the canals and decided I never wanted to live anywhere near there thanks to the thought of water rats! The houses around the area were quite magnificent.
2nd Walk was with Simon - 1000 years of Westminster - a fascinating walk around the Westminster area, the exterior of houses of parliament and the Abbey and some side streets. Simon was an excellent guide and we'll try to go on more of his, he takes trips to Cambridge, Oxford etc.
3rd Walk was with Federer through Westminster Abbey. Going with London Walks is great as you don't have to queue up to get into the Abbey, you enter by the back entrance. There was such a big group we were split into 2 - the other group got Mary who won the London Guide of the Year last year. Wish we'd got Mary instead, as there were gaps in Federer's knowledge of Gothic Architecture (a specialty of mine). The Abbey was very interesting and I particularly enjoyed the portrait of Richard 11 which glows so beautifully with a luminescent golden light, yet I haven't found any photos to do it justice (no pics allowed in the Abbey btw). There is a café - and most importantly, loos in the café near the entrance you go in with the group. We were all so cold and had such sore feet that we headed to the Wesley tearooms for a late lunch and to warm up rather than pay the very high prices at the Abbey's café.
I like the fact you don't need to book, just meet your guide at the designated spot on the website. Will do more!

1  Thank Aussiewriter
Reviewed 28 December 2013

On Christmas day London is more or less closed but we did find the "London Walks" that offer guided themed walks. We chose to Trail Charles Dickens in the neighborhood of Covent Garden. This walk took some good two hours and we enjoyed the story of the celebrated writer learning much about his life and work. Can recommend this to anyone. Walking distance is not too long and uch of the time is spent listening to knowledgeable guides. Check www.walks.com for programs and enjoy.

1  Thank Thomas T