“Chelsea King's Road”
Review of Chelsea

Chelsea
Ranked #439 of 1,909 things to do in London
More attraction details
Owner description: A neighborhood in London that is known for King's Road and Carnaby Street in Soho, which formed the center of "Swinging London" in the Sixties.
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Do yourself a favor when next in London and avoid all the crazy big shopping streets
and rather spend quality time in Chelsea's King's Road.
Most big stores are there , quality smaller shops with antiques and great coffee/snack places and
such a viby great experience without the panic of Oxford st. and the like.
And the shoes at Island Blue or French Sole ...to die for !!!

Date of experience: September 2012
in 4 reviews
"exhibition"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 14 August 2012

This was my first time at the Show and I travelled all the way from Edinburgh, it was a very expensive experience and one I won't ever do again. I was there on the first RHS members day and thought it wouldn't be as busy - wrong!! It was so busy I had to fight my way to the front to see the show gardens and had to quickly take photos as other people were pushing through - didn't even get a chance to admire the gardens. The worst thing of all was the lack of seating areas - very poor. I was there with my elderly mum and she needs little rests in between walking around, there wasn't even any benches around for the elderly. All the seating areas were jam packed, even the picnic area was that busy there wasn't any space on the grass to sit. I had bought all day tickets and only stayed for 3 hours as it was so stressful trying to find a seat for my mum as she was exhausted. I saw several elderly people getting taken away to ambulance bays. I really think the RHS should take a long hard look at how many people they sell tickets to and accommodate for seating these people. They could have less stalls as there were 2 huge lines of stalls selling items. Or they could even try to extend it to 2 weeks and let less people in on each day. I go to other Gardening Events in Scotland and I have never had an issue with seating, they always provide ample seating for their events. I'll be watching in on TV again as I know I'll get a good look at the Show Gardens etc. Spent a fortune on travel, accommodation, show tickets and lunch and was only there for 3 hours - so disappointing :(

11  Thank Karen C
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Good place for shopping, eating, and viewing art like the V&A and Saatchi Gallery.

Date of experience: February 2012
Reviewed 26 May 2012

The show had been on my list for years...I eventually got around to buying a ticket this year as I had been hoping for a free invitation from somewhere. I assure you...the show is not worth £50!!!

I would say that 85% of the place consists of market stalls trying to sell you stuff...either gardening stuff or food or ice cream...so the main activity ends up being shopping/browsing and eating.

We could not go into any of the sponsors gardens to have a close up view as they were roped off to the public...and frankly, they were nothing amazing...nothing that you have not already seen in an interiors magazine/grand designs programme or during "London Open House"...and there are not that many of them.

Out of everything I saw, I found the BONSAI in the Grand Pavilion to be stunning....beautiful. I would never buy one for fear of killing it!

I see no reason to return...unless one day I get a free invitation!

15  Thank rkjlondon
See more reviews
Reviewed 23 May 2012

A poor 2012 Show ...the show gardens all have similar plantings with cow parsley taking centre stage .... save your money and see it growing wild in the Royal Hospital grounds. Grand Pavilion is the best area ..but the rest is the same as usual. Lack of adequate seating, expensive food and drink, queues for ladies' toilets ...even a queue to wash your hands this year. Hopefully the cheaper option of Gardeners' World Live Show in Birmingham in mid June will be better value for money and more enjoyable.

6  Thank cailleach8