“Probably the worst I've been in”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Beaufort Hotel

The Beaufort Hotel
Ranked #185 of 1,089 Hotels in London
London, England, United Kingdom
“Probably the worst I've been in”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

Well folks, this review is worth it for me because for the first time ever, I have hit a "terrible" hotel.

As always with most things, readers need to know if the reviewer has valid credentials to submit a considered and balanced opinion: well yes, I have. I stay in approximately 100 hotels a year. 20% of those are in the UK. Tripadvisor informs me that I am in the top 1000 most read and valued reviews. Many are good or glowing, very few are a grumble, but none so far have been terrible.

But the Beaufort gets the prize. Quite simply this is the worst hotel I have ever visited in my life. Apart from the location and possibly some of the staff, this hotel is awful.

Let me calibrate you: I will be paying £324 (that's $540!) for one night. For that I expect a lot. Well, here goes. There is no restaurant. There is no bar. There is no lounge to relax in (just a tiny area by reception or the basement). The furniture and fittings look like they came out of a skip and make secondhand MFI furniture look like luxury, only one person in the lift with luggage, the bathroom looks ancient with cracked sink and crumbling silicone sealer, sofas are the cheapest most uncomfortable money can buy, breakfast comes on a tray to your room or......reception!. I really do not know where to stop. Thankfully I am only here for one night and my wife is not with me. I would be embarrassed to have her here and she would quite sensibly have walked out without paying.

I am a heritage person through and through, so the idea that it's difficult to have boutique hotel in an old building is rubbish. I've been in many in the UK, Amsterdam, Vancouver and more. The Beaufort is as far from boutique as you can imagine. It simply needs ripping out and starting afresh.

It is the only hotel in my life (and I'm in my mid-fifties) where I have taken a bunch of photos and will be contacting trading standards: it is frankly unfair for people and visitors to be subjected to this place and pay decent money. And I am in a Junior Suite....imagine what a standard room must be like.

Oh, and I just called to ask for a glass of wine in my suite (it's only 11pm) to be told to go and collect it at reception because there is nobody to bring it up to my room! That's the service for £324 a night.

This hotel should be re-classified as 3-star and charge no more than £80 per night.

Whatever you do, don't book here.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
12 Thank Michael C
Guest Relations M, Guest Relations Manager at The Beaufort Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Mr. Michael C.,

At The Beaufort we welcome all guest reviews positive or otherwise as it is only through guest feedback that we are able to continuously improve our service standards. That noted, it is essential that readers are given a balanced view and therefore we would like to make the following observations.

We acknowledge that our hotel will not meet the expectations of every individual traveller but we are equally perplexed by this review. The Beaufort has never claimed to have a restaurant. We have meticulously ensured our website portray full representation of our product and offer. This include our exclusive resident bar which offers a full selection of every possible drink you would come to expect in any high-end hotel bar, the only difference is our bar is complimentary to all guests - the only hotel of our size and category in London to offer such a service to our guests. We are surprised with this guest’s comment as a result. The Beaufort also has a private lounge with a free business centre, we are consequently therefore taken aback by this review.

As for our furniture and fittings, we pride ourselves in the daily measures we take to quality check all our furniture and fittings to ensure guest comfort and convenience. In fact, we regularly upgrade our furniture and fixtures as a matter of routine. We are sorry that this guest is of a different opinion but we are grateful to many guests who recognise this through the reviews they have shared with other travellers on this platform.

With regards to breakfast, we offer a variety of options to suit all guests but it is indeed correct that breakfast is delivered as room service to guest rooms. We find this to be an advantage to most guests as it is delivered at a suitable time of their choosing without any extra charge. This ensures our guest can enjoy breakfast at the privacy, comfort and convenient of their rooms with the rush and time sensitivity associated with hotel breakfast rooms.. We are sorry that this guest finds this to be a disadvantage.

We apologise that we did not meet this guest expectations but given the guest only stayed with us for 1 night, we can only assume that the guest did not have time to explore and take advantage of some of the facilities our hotel offer.

The Beaufort Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

We booked through Secret Escapes for a one night stay to spend some time with our daughter and go to England v Wales Rugby match. For the price we paid of 187.50 we thought it was good value for the location and service, we did get an upgrade on arrival and our basement room was large with a sofa. We arrived at 10.00am aiming to leave our luggage but the room was ready so we checked in, good start. Staff were helpful and attentive. We took advantage of the complimentary cream tea in the lounge downstairs before heading out to local Thai restaurant Patara suggested by the hotel. Our only complaint would be about noisy closing of doors and rattling windows at night which disturbed sleep a little, however the bed was very comfy. Express breakfast included was a good start to the day, we left our luggage all day while we went to Twickenham and collected it Sunday evening. We would recommend this hotel and stay there again.

1 Thank Andy W
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed there only for one night, and was given a room on the fifth floor. I was very impressed with the layout of the room and the décor. We overlooked the main road/crescent, and was surprisingly impressed that the noise level was remarkable quiet. When we arrived the porter came straight to us to take our luggage to our room, and he then showed us where everything was and how it worked. There were bathrobes in the bathroom which was a nice touch, although we didn't use them. I have read that some of the rooms were quite small, but our wasn't, we had a large bed and small area accommodating a sofa. The check in was very quick and everything was explained to us on our arrival. Our deal included a complimentary cream tea. Tea, coffee and soft drinks were available free of charge 24 hours a day, and the hotel offered a complimentary bar between 3pm and 11pm, and a good selection of drinks to choose from. We ordered an 'Express Breakfast' and asked it to be delivered at 8.15, and sure enough bang on the dot it came. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff at this hotel and it was a little gem of a find. The only negative I would say is that the lounge and reception and bar area are all within the same area, so privacy is not so good. The hotel is situated two streets away from Harrods, about half way up a cul de sac, and surprisingly we slept with the window open and didn't hear any noise at all - very peaceful. Would I go back again - definitely.

1 Thank mandybaker1
Kruishoutem
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

The Beaufort isn't the hotel that I was expecting when I booked it. Rather than the typical hotel feeling you get in the large chains, this is a very different affair. The reception also doubles as a lounge (almost living room) and free help-yourself bar. The location is top: in a quite dead-end, just around the corner from Harrods'. The rooms are small (like most in London), but nicely finished. Great place to stay for a weekend to discover London!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Bart_E540
Athens, Greece
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

This small Hotel was suggested to us by friends who had stayed there some years ago. Luckily, we booked a junior suite with front view ,so our stay was acceptable, as this particular hotel has a tiny reception where coffee or breakfast can be served plus another small siting area, down the stairs, that serves for the same purposes. The service is very friendly but not efficient, one person is trying to do everything at the reception.....we asked for information about restaurants etc and actually got an answer as we were checking out....
The nice part of this Hotel is you can help yourself,free of charge, to any alcohol free beverages during the whole day,plus free coffee and tea as well as alcoholic drinks, during certain hours.
So, if one travels for business , it's really comfortable to stay there, but if it's for leisure you must consider there is not really a space,coming back from a long day in the city where you can sit down and relax having a tea or a drink, except your room.... A renovation is needed as well.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KatFlor
Kifisia, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

We choose this hotel because it is located at a calm street just one block from Harrods. The staff was very friendly, although not experienced. It was a nice surprise the free mini bar and the home made cookies served with the free coffee. However, the lobby is very small and the hotel decoration is starting to need renovation. We stay in a nice junior suit with balcony and for the price we paid we were pleased and thus we recommend this hotel.

bordeaux
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

Plus side ... friendly staff and location .. nothing else! Tiny reception area to have a drink or wait .. with staff conversations audible to all sitting there. Room although a deluxe disappointing .. no nice seating area .. tiny sofa stuck in corner, no fridge, had to ask for slippers .. which were brought! Bed was so hard on first nice had to report it and poor pillow and in fairness they did something about this. Room was on the 5th floor .. terrible insulation .. noise from street below and people in rooms beside! Lift was a nightmare .. smaller than a cupboard with old carpet up the wall! max 2 people and no luggage would fit in! it went (if it arrived at all, if people had not closed metal gate properly) and then a hike up narrow staircase to 5th floor. Lift was dangerous in my opinion as metal gate was very heavy to open and then would bang shut .. you would loose a finger if they got caught in it! We are a young couple and found going up and down to the bedroom a nightmare. If you did not get the lift then really steep narrow stairs up and down with heavy fire doors to open on each level! Breakfast was o.k. but no excuse for cold toast and tough croissants each day! it is so over priced for what you get .. it is really shabby ... lampshades in reception need replacing, calcaire on shower heads ... tatty ... and such a let down. Shower and bath taps difficult to operate as well in small bathroom ... and water pressure not great .. I could go on .. but at 1,000 sterling for 5 nights I am very upset and would not recommend this hotel. I do have a hotel background but that aside they need to up their standards or certainly charge a lot less. For smokers no ashtray facility outside ..

Room Tip: If you decide to book here .. ask for a room on the 1st floor.
1 Thank piggy1102
Guest Relations M, Guest Relations Manager at The Beaufort Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Piggy1102,

We welcome all guest comments positive or otherwise and thank you for the feedback. However, we would like to make a few observations which we hope will sufficiently address the points you have raised. We are sorry to read that we have not met all of your expectations on this occasions. We note that you did notify our front of house team regarding the firmness of the mattress and softness of your pillow. On receipt of your request for a softer mattress and firmer pillow, our quality control team replaced both your mattress and pillows to suitable alternatives that meet your requirements. At The Beaufort, we cater for all guest preferences and were glad to have acted within minutes of your request.

With reference to the stairs and lift - part of The Beaufort’s unique charm is it layout. Carving a high-end boutique hotel out of Victorian town houses comes with its own set of challenges not least when we aim to preserve and protect the heritage of the buildings without compromising guest comfort and convenience. I am sorry you find our bijou lift too small for your liking. Our concierge team is always available and ready to help our guests with all their needs and that includes luggage carriage. I trust your luggage was taken to your room and back to reception on check-out by a luggage porter. I am sorry that you find the few steps to your room unacceptable, if this was reported to our duty manager, we would have happily moved you to a step-free access bedroom.

As you have noted, the slippers were provided as soon as reception was notified. Our in-room directory clearly states the team is happy and willing to provide a myriad of complimentary guest amenities on request.

Our housekeeping and maintenance teams have been instructed to double-check the shower-head in the room you stayed in lights of your comments. We apologise for any inconvenience.

We are perplexed regarding your comment on noise. The hotel is located in a quiet tree-lined cul-de-sack in the heart of Knightsbridge with hardly any traffic albeit you are minutes away from the hustle and bustle of London’s Knightsbridge.

On value, we are once again very surprised with your feedback as we extended a 40% discount to your room rate upon booking with access to an unlimited complimentary bar, afternoon tea and many more value-added extras. One of the few boutique hotels in London to offer our guests so much more for less.

We recognise that it is only through guest feedback that we are able to continuously improve our product and offer and do thank you for your review.

Kind Regards,