“High Price Does Not Match Quality of Servise”
Review of The Berkeley

The Berkeley
Ranked #67 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed at the Berkeley during 14-18 July 2014, with total charges of 3,450 pounds, or 700 pounds a night. Very expensive indeed.The cleaning maids and room service staff were always courteous. But the front desk staff and door men were always smileless with frozen faces, as if hotel guests were strangers to them. They need a lesson in courtesy and hospitality, as hotel business is hospitality business. Next time to London, I'll look for a hotel where it's staff would at least greet and smile at me. One more thing, my bed was so soft that my body practically sank to the bottom of it.

Room Tip: Just stay away!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Friedrich Wu W

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I have come here for a number of purposes over the years: firstly for the Blue Bar which I love, secondly for spa treatments.

The bar is simply amazing. But I love the spa more than any other. I am not particularly impressed with Daylesford motifs on everything: in my mind that kind of branding is slightly confused. Daylesford is a farm shop in rural Gloucestershire, emphasising organic farming etc. This hotel is a five star super chic place to stay in Knightsbridge. Anyway what do I know about marketing?

The spa treatments are generally absolutely impeccable and the changing room etc all brilliant. My only negative comments would be: (1) I once booked and got someone different to who I had asked for; (2) they once said that they would email me with appointment dates and never got round to it. Come to think of it with the first incident I actually made a complaint and they admitted the error and waived the fee, so I got a completely free amazing massage. So all credit to them for dealing properly with a relatively minor criticism so well.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lazy_and_spoilt
Reviewed 14 July 2014

A great weekend. The staff were slick and alert to my impending birthday and there were some slick touches such as a bottle of bubbly and flowers in my room - very impressed. The whole atmosphere at the hotel was calm and measured, just what I wanted and nothing was too much trouble. Would definitely return. Only small quibble was the huge bed, oddly difficult to get comfortable in?

Room Tip: Consider a room at the back away from the Knightsbridge high street
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NorthcoteScout
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Just had the most relaxing day in the gorgeous roof top spa at The Berkeley.It is a wonderfully quiet and secret spot in the heart of London with great views, great treatments and lovely food and service. Quality organic products everywhere too. A good mid-week get away.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Beaches350
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We had a lovely three days stay, room service breakfast on our terrace was lovely and the roof top pool is a delightful way to relax at the end of the day. We did not like our first room and sweet Stephanie from the front desk who brought us up there to show it could tell we did not like it from the look on my face. She ordered up a tea and a coffee and left us to relax with a promise to see what else was available. She called up within 10 minutes and had 2 different available rooms for us to choose from. We ended up with a beautiful room with a terrace, there was an upcharge from what we had booked but it was totally worth it. The one negative I would cite is that there is a tremendous amount of noise from the corridors which comes into the rooms. I was definitely wishing for ear plugs as we were woken up each of the three nights by doors opening and closing and people talking in the hallways. I think the doors need better soundproofing. Even during the day we felt we needed to have music on to keep the sound out.

Room Tip: If you can try to get a terrace studio suite. Also a park view is not essential the view over the L...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I have stayed at the Berkeley many times over the past 5 years and always leave being completely delighted with my stay. The Berkeley understands service better than any other hotel I have ever stayed at anywhere in the world (of the 600 or so hotels I have stayed at). The bedrooms are beautiful, very comfortable beds, best linen etc. No expense is spared as far as comfort is concerned. The food, restaurants, blue bar and service are superior by all standards. The experience of the spa at The Berkerley, is however not at the same standard as the hotel. Most of the therapists are in-sourced on an adhoc basis and so you pay a superior price for very average (or below) therapists. I would not recommend the spa. The Berkeley is also not geared up as a business hotel - the business centre is tiny and not practical. But if you don't need the spa or the business centre, this hotel should be your first choice in London.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The Berkeley was excellent - the room, the food, and most especially, the service. We had a mix up with our booking and only realized on the way to the airport that our reservation was confirmed for the night before our arrival. It was not the hotel's mistake, but they moved our room with no advanced notice and no charge to the following night. To make matters even better, they had our room ready for an early check-in - so nice after arriving on an overnight flight. Room service was excellent, as well. Highly recommended in all categories!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family