“First class”
Review of The Connaught

The Connaught
Ranked #9 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

The experience from check in to check out was an absolute delight, the staff is very helpful and will endeavor to fulfill you every need. The room was large and very quiet compared to other London hotels. It is so central to many of the top sports in London. Would stay again!

• Stayed: November 2013
Nathalie S, General Manager at The Connaught, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and I am delighted you had such an enjoyable stay.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon!

There are newer reviews for The Connaught

Reviewed 30 January 2014

A good stay at the Connaught. Our reservation included a request for a 1pm check in . When we arrived at 130 pm we were told the room would be ready in half an hour. The hotel offered us a complimentary beverage in the lounge while we waited and was ready promptly at 2pm .The king room was spacious with a large bath, desk, big screen tv and a view of the quiet side street. Compared to modern rooms our traditional style room offered much less hanging storage and no luggage stand although the fitted cabinets offered luxurious glass shirt drawers and a huge four drawer chest. Service was excellent as always

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and we all hope to welcome you back when you are next in London.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Stayed for a long weekend due to work at our apartment ,truly The Connaught is by far the BEST hotel in London,everything is perfect if you like traditional rooms they are excellent if you like modern rooms they are also excellent.
One of the best restaurant in London and breakfast is Perfect.
Out 10-10 Well done to management.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kucho26

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am truly delighted you enjoyed your stay.

With my best wishes,

Reviewed 16 January 2014

We stayed at the Connaught London -end of October, 2013 for 4 glorious nights traveling with another couple. Enjoying London as a bonus pre-Danube a river cruise trip and to attend the Jaguar-49's NFL game at Wembley Stadium. Sadly our Jacksonville Jaguars lost but it was an experience I will never forget. The UK and American crowd at wembley had the energy and enthusiasm experienced at a Super Bowl.
Back to the Connaught. We'll there is something about this just over 120 room hotel that is special- the staff is timeless, like they have been there forever and are one step ahead of every whim or need in an inconspicuous manner. Very civilized. Most of the hotel guests were a mix of "to the manor born", beautiful people from entertainment industry
(ZeroName dropping on my parts Connaught is about privacy) , single visit guests, or just guests who make their annual pilgrimage to London staying at the Connaught year after year. The hotel bars and restaurant another story. The main bar is traditional old English, where I fit in. in not English but I am older. The bar in the left rear was full of the younger beautiful well heeled socialites - a very hip crowd- not hotel guests in general.
The hotel has a new updated section and a traditional older section.
My friends had a beautiful view from their large picture window in a suite in the traditional section. It was like a small London apartment. We stayed in a basic room, no significant view- on the contemporary wing. Small for the price- however the room functioned well and almost like a cruise ship cabin, every inch of space was efficiently used in the design. Our bathroom had a new Toto Bidet toilet, which spritzed in any desired direction, temperature or pressure and blow dried at the end- literally. The toilet seat sensed when I entered the room by auto lifting the lid. How did the Toto toilet sense that I had just swallowed a liter of Perrier water?
In the 1930's Rudolph Richard, a young Swiss hotelier, became general manager of the Connaught and ran the hotel almost as an English private house, with the highest standards of comfort and even today the hotel is run impeccably. The Connaught is a hotel in the Maybourne Group, owners of Claridge's, The Berkeley and the Savoy Hotel etc.
In March 2007, the Connaught closed for a 70 million pound restoration.
Immediately after this work was completed he designed a further 31 rooms and suites in the new addition to the hotel, a terrace penthouse, and all of the amazing public spaces and function rooms, including the Ballroom. The Maybourne Hotel Group intended to preserve the traditional values for which the hotel is famous and from my perspective they succeeded. French chef Helene Darroze took control of the signature restaurant. I did not dine there because it was closed the night we were wishing to do so.
The hotel reopened after this renovation in December 2007, with fewer rooms, but now has a swimming pool and Asian-inspired spa managed by Aman Resorts.
Just around the corner is possibly the best London restaurant- Scott's. So fabulous we tried for a second night but no luck. Lunch at The Wolseley across the street from The Ritz was loud but memorable. I would return to appreciate the archetectural preservation and the great food.
Seems like a great place for a power Lunch.
We had great seats arranged by the concierge for a west end production "The Committments," toe tapping, clapping, dancing in the aisles, a musical about a working class Irish band singing Papa is a Rolling stone among other hits, with more than a smattering of foul language throughout the script- that was unnecessary and the only negative in the show. How many F bombs are needed in a musical? I vote for none.
Over the years I have stayed at various hotels in London on both business and pleasure. The Dorchester, Intercontinental, Hilton, various marriotts, Covent Garden, Flats in Kensington, The ritz, millenniums etc and I must truly say" I want my stay at the Connaught to remain my quintessential London memory."

Room Tip: Decide between traditional and contemporary. the contemporary gets my vote.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nanzim

Thank you so much for your very kind comments and I am truly deligthed you enjoyed your stay with us and your time in London.

We all hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

With my best wishes,

Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

Although my father had been for more than 20 years a regular guest of the hotel (when he died the manager sent me a letter of condolences) we were treated as "non important" guests from the continent and clearly given a room that nobody would have accepted in a sane state of mind. The tiny cupboard had no space for shirts underwear etc and the little space available was crammed with gadgets and food the hotel was trying to sell ..
For breakfast we were once seated on a table with a used tablecloth full of crumbs.
The outstanding service of the concierge (theatre, restaurant bookings) does not make out for the overall price which was not justified given the incredibly small room we were offered. So unless you are a VIP do not go there because you risk not getting something worth your money. I do not mind spending a lot, but when I do spend a lot everything must be more than perfect. Upon departure I told the manager about my unhappy experience and was offered in compensation a free night during a next stay, but there is, unfortunately, not going to be a next stay, as far as I am concerned ... In general terms, the recent renovation (modern architects are a plague for humanity) has destroyed a cosy lobby to make space for the breakfast restaurant, there us no space where you can sit down and talk without feeling you have to order a drink.. the beautiful restaurant with green seats has been destroyed and replaced by a trendy bar ... people are let in without jackets and ties, in shabby clothes ..so everything is tuned in a direction of maximising money and minimising personal service. How sad !!! Another piece of good old London vanishing to make place for easy money, big profits and vulgarity,

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Slon55

I thank you for your review and I am so sorry for your disappointment. I hope that in time you might re-consider and please do let me know as it would be my pleasure to assist.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Needless to speak about the location, which is obviously great. I loved the general atmosphere and the service was very good, especially the Concierge who each time found a way to address our queries. However the room was extreeeemely small. I've actually never experienced such a tiny room, even in cities like London or NY. And for the price paid, I thought this was actually quite shocking.

Room Tip: Beware: some rooms are very very small.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank globexplorer399

I thank you for your review and am sorry to read of your disappointment with the size of the room. I hope we shall have the opportunity of welcoming you back as we do have many different room categories availabile.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

This is not a place to stay if you take a child with you. There is no lounge so the only place to sit with your child is in a noisy bar. The staff do not take well to this. In the other bar, from which we were ejected at 7.30, the staff were positively dismissive of the fact that we did not want to drink. There are no children's options on menus, so we paid £26 plus service for a portion of fish and chips. All in all overpriced and not welcoming.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family