“Amazing”
Review of The Connaught

The Connaught
Ranked #11 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Amazing hotel and service, brunch worth any price,recommend. Place of memories and so lovely atmosphere! I would Recommend to every one for a lovely date or nice surprise,drinks are not cheap ( one of the most expensive in London ) buy is really amazing place as the drinks you are pay for a service and quality. If Can go there you wouldn't think that was a waste of money for sure! They have two bars and both of them are amazing, really hight end! We have brunch and was absolutely perfect, make sure u book in advance because is very popular. A

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 April 2014

I stayed here last week for two nights with my wife and also my sister. We greatly enjoyed our stay. The staff are extremely good and work really hard to make your stay an enjoyable one. The rooms are large (ish), very comfortable, well appointed and spotlessly clean which at the prices charged are all minimum requirements. I'm not sure how many rooms there are but it seems to be a much more homely and intimate hotel than, for instance, Claridges or The Dorchester. The Coburg bar is very popular and certainly from 6pm onwards, extremely busy with a great buzz to it. My only dislike applies, I suspect, to all five star hotels or it does in my experience any way and that is that every square inch of public space has to earn its keep.For instance, when my wife and I arrived at about 3.30 and after being shown to our rooms we thought we would have a cup of coffee and a sandwich, something very quick so we could get on with the various things we had come to London to do. There is an informal bistro type restaurant called the Espelette situated in a very pleasant conservatory where they serve breakfast and also afternoon tea. When we got there afternoon tea was in full flow , sold very much as an 'experience' and possibly like tea at the Ritz , fully booked for weeks ahead. There is a perfectly nice foyer area outside the conservatory with a few tables most of which were also occupied by guests enjoying the full Tea service. The staff were perfectly happy to serve us a cappuccino and a sandwich but as I say there isn't really anywhere where you can just go and sit down and loll about. Essentially the same thing thing happened two days later when I returned to the hotel at about two thirty wanting a late lunch and looking forward to eating it in the Espelette but when I arrived they explained that they were setting it up for afternoon tea and again I was seated in the foyer area. There is nothing particularly wrong with this but it is a shame that some of the style and grandeur of these great hotels has been compromised by this need to make every square inch pay for itself.

Room Tip: Superior King rooms are a respectable size but have VERY limited hanging space so a Deluxe King room...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Connaught, with two other couples, for a 50th birthday celebration, one night only, a Friday. We began the visit with a Champagne lunch in the Coburg Bar. Really excellent service from terrific staff and some great light lunches on the menu. I even managed to fit in a quick business meeting with a colleague. The room was very good, very traditional and all the better for it. Although we chose to eat at Scott's that night, we sampled both of the other bars. Pre-dinner drinks were in the Champagne Room, worth a visit and go for the house tonic with your gin. Really excellent. After an amazing supper at Scott's we came back to the Connaught Bar for a nightcap. Really buzzy, clearly the place to be.

The next morning we all met up for a terrific cooked breakfast. Tons of food, probably too much, in fact. Great location for the breakfast, a bright, airy conservatory and the service there was, once again, impeccable. The Connaught is perfectly located for a little early Saturday morning shopping in Oxford Street.

I have to add that this could have been a very different review. We had a couple of issues when checking in but the management took care of them quickly and effectively and we even got a bottle of Champagne by way of apology. A really kind and honest gesture. My only gripe is that we had to pay extra for breakfast, £70-odd per couple from memory, which I really think should be included in the £500 per night cost of the room. We'll be back and I highly recommend The Connaught for a special night in London.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank twa203
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Instead of writing pages up and down, I just want to say. This hotel is outstanding in every way. The reception, the service on arrival and the room is truly a experience itself. The price matches what you get and can expect from a hotel like this. It has kept its charm and reflects generations of good British style.

Room Tip: Choose the old rooms, the new fancy ones are only fancy, and a bad copy of the real fancy rooms at B...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank RovingNorwegian
Nathalie S, General Manager at The Connaught, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and truly hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

With my best wishes,

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Firstly I should say that we are not accustomed to staying in quiet such finery, but it was definitely amazing in every way. From the moment we arrived,to the moment we left (and beyond), the hotel staff were amazing and couldn't have been more attentive. They intuitively knew what we may require and very discretely went about getting it done for us. The 'butler' was available to unpack for us, arranged for our clothing to be ironed in super quick time and they even offered professional shoe cleaning if we had wanted it. The food was excellent, as was the bar and drinks and all the staff were highly trained and very professional. The bathrooms and rooms were spotless and only used the best quality products, linens etc. They even had a special robe and slippers for our son, which was a small thing that made a big difference. If you are looking for total efficiency, service and quality, I don't think you could ask for more. Definitely not a budget friendly hotel, but if you can afford it - it lives up to it's reputation and I'd highly recommend it. We will definitely be staying again.

Room Tip: We had a room in the more modern section. Can't compare it to the others, but it was perfect.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

I am delighted you had such a wonderful stay and we all hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

With warmest wishes,

Reviewed 13 March 2014

After an awful experience down the road at The May Fair Hotel, a business associate and I decided to visit The Connaught. The service was immaculate, it took no more than three minutes for our glasses to be refilled in the bar seating area on what was a reasonably busy tuesday afternoon - a huge transition from The May Fair (fifteen minutes before giving up and doing it ourselves).

The service was very personal and warm from a lovely gentleman from Hong Kong (or Macau, I don't recall) with whom we had a long conversation with.

100% satisfaction from me, I'll be returning in the near future.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

I am delighted you enjoyed your experience and appreciate you having taken the time to write a review. I do hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

With warmest wishes,

Reviewed 26 February 2014

We enjoy our travel and we enjoy experiencing our hotels. Whilst we live close to London it is still good to try some of its hotels on occasions. This occasion was valentines day and we stayed just the one night.

The room itself was in the new wing, it was a good size room, very good bathroom (with the exception of the in bathroom TV that was in the wrong place). Unfortunately no view but for one night that isnt a problem. The only thing I would say was that the room had little character. It was like many business hotels I have stayed in, not a bad thing but not what I expect when paying for the likes of Connaught.

After dinner we tried to go into one of their main bars (Coburg or Connaught bar) for a drink but unsurprisingly both were full. We were told that they'd ensure we got the next table available but no one looked as if they would be leaving soon so we went to go back to the room. As we did we passed what was until recently the cigar room and now a new bar. Its so small and out of the was that it isnt listed in the materials in the room and is hidden away on the website. Where as the others focus on cocktails and variety this focuses instead on exclusive drinks with a number of fine champagnes that would normally be over a thousand a bottle but here is available by the glass.

A great night was spent chatting to the barman Rusty and he did mention that the rooms in the older part of the hotel retain more traditional character than the wing where we were staying.

Overall the service was excellent, certainly natural and very friendly. There were only one or two slips - at breakfast we were told we were too late down by one chap who then wandered off and second later another 2 members of staff said that of cause breakfast was still available. Similarly when we came back to collect our luggage and flowers the concierge took a while to bring them and when they eventually did the day old flowers were all dead. Dont know if they'd left them without water or next to a radiator but they shouldnt have been in that state.

The rest of the time however they were friendly, approachable and would do everything that they could to help. Reception is fairly small and with many non-residents coming to visit both the bars and restaurants it is fairly full but that didnt detract from the service.

We will certainly return in the future but will insist in staying in the older part of the hotel

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the older part of the hotel
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple