“Couldn't be better”

Ranked #6 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Philadelphia
“Couldn't be better”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Spectacular service, absolutely gorgeous building and rooms. I loved the bathroom amenities and the way the rooms were outfitted. We had a great view out the front of the hotel to the square, and it felt urban and cosy all at once. We were jet lagged and stumbled downstairs, accidentally into the Michelin-star rated restaurant. We were underdressed and looked like crappy American tourists, but the staff was just as charming as if I was Kate Middleton herself. What a meal. Was I dreaming? I was certainly half asleep due to jet lag, and yet wanted to stay up for more and more courses. I just loved staying at this hotel and was very, very sad to depart. It is extremely expensive, but this is a rare case where it actually feels worth it.

I previously used to stay at Claridges, but now I will always stay at the Connaught as long as I can afford it!

Room Tip: I liked the view out on the front of the hotel. It is a quiet neighborhood, so it is nice to actuall...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank withbells
TheConnaughtLondon, General Manager at The Connaught, responded to this review, 31 December 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent experience at the Connaught, and for your wonderful comments. It is so precious!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon but in the meantime the entire team joins me in wishing you a happy New Year!

Nathalie Seiler-Hayez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Service was off the chart, the staff could not have been more accommodating. Gracious and anxious to be helpful. We have stayed in several fine places, but this was top of the list. Nothing more to add that hasn't been posted by other satisfied customers. Expensive? yes, but if any experience was worth it, this is it. If tripadvisor ever adds a 6th star, this has earned it.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Village in Bucks
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I love this hotel. The welcome I have received on the tree occasions I have visited is truly special. The Connaught afternoon tea is wonderful - the portions are huge, the scones are amazing and it is worth ordering champagne to wash it all down. I really would find it hard to stay anywhere else. Nothing is too much trouble for any of the staff I have come across - the concierge team are the best in London! (Special thanks to Manuel and to Caroline). Totally recommend this hotel - it is dignified, discreet and elegant - please don't change!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank BigH631961

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My room was cute, old school but neat with all modern amenities, but I liked the most was lunch at Helene Darroze on the ground floor.
Service was simple yet efficient and my set menu was so delicious. Food presentation was so beautiful...
We did not have diner there but drinks at the Champagne bar: cool, trendy but discreet. There is a family atmosphere there, and it is trendy at the same time.
Perfect stay in London for a romantic Saturday night!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank youpi546

Los Angeles
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We have stayed at Mayfair Hotels for this past four years during our stays in London and we decided to try the Connaught for a change. Unfortunately it was a big mistake and we are so sorry we ever did that. Everything is distorted from the moment you step into the hotel, mostly the service and the staff. THIS IS NOT A FIVE STAR HOTEL!!!!!

Con's:

1-We had a reservation for only three days, which is the shortest we have stayed in London. Our reservation was made through our agent, a senior travel agent who works with Mayfair directly for years, we had confirmation of a guarantee for an upgrade in writing from two months prior to our arrival. When we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted by a girl, who definitely was not representative of the usual Mayfair group staff which we have been used to at the Cartridge's and the Berkeley Hotel. She had this fake smile with a certain coldness which was very noticeable. When she was confirming our room category, we realized she is not honoring the upgrade and when we kindly mentioned to her that we had confirmed the upgrade, she specifically mentioned they are fully booked and they can not provide the upgrade, not once, a few times with an absolute certainty.
When I mentioned we only stay at the Mayfair hotels and I have an email confirmation, her face turned red and requested that I show her the email, she left us to speak to her manager. Her manager, a very kind and helpful gentleman, greeted us, apologized for what happened with her and gave us two options of rooms for an upgrade. ( He had to clean up what she had done) This whole experience was about thirty minutes, very shady and certainly did not make us feel welcomed

2- We looked at six types of rooms,(Available rooms which she wasn't willing to offer us) unfortunately all the rooms one after another were chopped, small, not designed for comfort facing the alley with the trash can and etc. Trust that they do look really good in the photos, but nothing like what you see in person. If you have two luggage's, the superior junior suite is definitely small and over priced. We were willing to pay extra for a higher category room which is comfortable but the rooms are strangely designed, junior suite was smaller than a deluxe king room at the Claridge's.

3- A lot was missing in the room, slippers, iron, ironing board and etc.

4- My husband was changing in the room, someone comes in to deliver drinks to a wrong room with a do not disturb sign, and my husband kept on shouting please don't come in we haven't ordered anything but regardless someone walks in on us, just unacceptable!!!

5- The room we ended up staying in, had curtains which wasn't working properly, the butler came in to fix it and the right side with the rods came off, he had to put it back and of course that side was not functioning anymore. But luckily we were checking out the day after and we didn't bother with it anymore

6-Lastly, right before our departure, we were waiting 20 minutes to get an Iron and an Ironing board which barely fit in the room, I ironed my shirt and the Iron was so filthy which my eyes could not believe it (Photos attached) chunks of dirt was steaming out on my shirt very similar to tar

7- Right after the Iron situation, we had to check out and leave to the airport. The manager approached us to us to apologize about the Iron being so filthy and all that, they also put a bill in front of us with a 5% discretionary charge added to the total???? Are you kidding me? You expect me to tip you an extra 5% too? I refused the discretionary service charge and I firmly requested them to remove the charge from our bill.

When you experience the mentioned above one after another in just three days,especially at a hotel which claims to be super luxury and charges top $$$$ it really effect your time and becomes so exhausting. We were very disappointed about our overall experience. They did request that I would give them my shirt to have it cleaned and ship it back to US but it really wasn't about that, it was about having things happening one after another which changed our whole experience from the moment we walked in to the minute we walked out,

Pro's

1-The best part about this hotel and our stay is the breakfast and their staff during breakfast are incredibly kind, helpful and truly make you feel at home (What their sister hotels do to their guests throughout the hotel) The choices are excellent, the room is beautiful, and the staff make it more special

2- The location

I would never stay here again.

Room Tip: They have rooms which faces a loading zone with trash container in the back. They are dark and it...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
14 Thank A711N
Nathalie S, General Manager at The Connaught, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
I truly thank you for having taken the time to post a review following your stay and I apologise sincerely for your experience which falls far short of the standards we strive for and which you can rightfully expect from us.

I am travelling currently but Paul Heery, my Hotel Operations Manager, would welcome the opportunity to speak with you personally and if you are able to be in contact with him on pheery@the-connaught.co.uk it would very much appreciated.

With my best wishes,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

The lobby bar is the place to see and be seen on any late afternoon. There's always a gentle buzz and bustle about. The mix of once upon a time old world vibe mixed with money of any era. The staff always senses who has the money today to spend.

The staff is excellent: If you are a regular: Discreet even if someone's date is taking a call from their spouse. They might even come to freshen your drink or offer some observation, how the weather is unseasonably warm now.

To stay at the Connaught is a different experience. She's an old girl but made up well. If one was used to all the trappings of technology, it won't happen here. There's wifi for email, don't YouTube or torrent. The screen is standard size and has no UBS to stick your favorite music or show in. There sound system doesn't exist. BUrt, there is "mood" lighting though as one traveler here shown.

The service is good but the walls are thin or thinner after the 75M refurbishing. The mood lighting might get to your neighbor and you hear the good, bad and ugly.

The staff is kind but the housekeeping noisy. The hovering doesn't mingle well with the hangover retrieved from the bar below.

Come to stay and enjoy a different era: it's a nice place. But, it does need a technology face lift to be peerless. Would be great to go to your room, suite and flick on noise that's wired well. Speakers for conference calls that pick up your sound even as you walk about or do about what you want. Screen hidden but exposed when you want and a size that befits the bill you will pay when you leave.

Fresh cut flowers and a half bottle in your room at the end of the day like other hotels of this type would be welcomed.

The bar scene in the late afternoons, vibrant.

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank samantha p
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

The Connaught is a beautiful & traditional, small Mayfair Hotel. We stayed for 1 night, which they did upgrade for us too. The staff were attentive, but not over the top. It was first class without being pretentious. The only unfortunate situation was with the breakfast, it came out 3 times incorrectly. When it was served correctly, it was delicious. I would love to return again.

1 Thank AngelinaB1978