“very nearly perfect”
Review of The Dorchester

The Dorchester
Ranked #52 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed 26 April 2011

We stayed recently for some well deserved R&R and overall we had a great time, we took advantage of the spa for a massage and dined one evening at Alain Ducasse both of which were excellent. All staff were courteous and unfailingly polite.

2 things meant that my praise is not unreserved - irrespective of what I am paying for a room I would like to have the facility to make myself a tea or a coffee and not have to order it through room service.

Also breakfast was very nice and waitered service with no notepad is very impressive but on both days the staff got our order wrong, not a major problem but with 12% service charge I'd expect better.

Minor quibbles though as I say overall it was great

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mgm2007
thedorchester, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay with us.
I was pleased to read that overall you had a great stay and I will certainly be passing on your kind comments to both the Spa and Alain Ducasse teams.
I was however concerned to hear of your disappointment with regards to the delivery of your Room Service orders, I can assure you that I will be personally following up with the team and I apologise for the inconvenience caused.
I do hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to The Dorchester in the near future.
Renaud Gregoire
Director of Food and Beverage

Write a ReviewReviews (1,614)

Reviewed 24 April 2011

Have stayed at the Dorchester a few times usually in a suite but this time in a single room as it was a quick business visit.
Everything is perfect here, the staff are certainly very professional and can't do enough for you. Everything is of the highest standard as you would expect for the price you pay.
My only negative comment would be that we couldn't get a drink after getting back to the hotel at 1.30-2PM. It would have been nice to finish off the night in the bar & when I asked about it I was simply told it was shut.
Nevermind-it wouldn't stop me going there again!

Reviewed 23 April 2011

On the West End, a good location for tourists. The price is a little high, but this is London. Rooms better than others in the UK. Service is excellent.

Room Tip: Use their services for show tickets
  • Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
thedorchester, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on The Dorchester. I must agree, the location of The Dorchester is ideal for anyone visiting central London and is convenient to all means of public transportation for those venturing further.
I’m very happy that you were pleased with our service; I will pass along your compliments to the team.
We hope to see you again soon at The Dorchester.

Reviewed 20 April 2011

I've stayed a numerous amount of times, sometimes just for a break, other times for special occasions. All the other reviewers comments are correct, wonderful place, staff in all areas tend to be very customer focused and make an effort to make your stay perfect from check-in to housekeeping to restaurant teams. A special note is Hadi in the reception team, I only stay sporadically in the hotel on and off and yet he's always made me welcome and always made me feel at home and if he's on duty, the first to say "Welcome back! Nice to see you again".

Rooms large by London standards, a bit twee some of the rooms decor, bathtubs are lovely and deep and beds are very comfortable. Their SPA is GORGEOUS and lovely way to pass an afternoon very quickly. Afternoon tea was average but Grill was nice.

One niggling thing that has occurred a few times in my stay, there is one area/wing of the hotel where the air-conditioning struggles to perform in the rooms there during summer. If I get rooms in that wing, always the air-conditioning doesn't work and I lose a night's worth of sleep as it's very warm because I think that side of the building gets the full blast of the afternoon heat on a hot day and it's doesn't cool down by night. Often when you walk out of your room, you find the corridors cooler.

I've made that known to the reception team upon check-out each time it's happened and they always say they will follow up and invariably I find that the next time, I'm re-allocated back to that wing and I get hit by the same problem. I think I have to start tracking what room numbers I find this problem in and ensure that I'm not stuck in that wing. It's just hard that I have to recall that each time and I'm surprised no one else has raised this compliant especially in summer.

On the last time in March when I stayed, I had to change rooms late at night (around 1am) as it was unbearably warm and the lady (Oriental, I didn't catch her name) who come to attend to me from the front desk was so apologetic and helpful and even moved my heavy suitcase by herself without waiting to call for the concierge. She was also unwilling to take a tip from me saying she was sorry I had to move rooms so late at night. So I have to say kudos to the team for their service and customer focus......just sort out that air-conditioning or else avoid putting me in those rooms.......I'm very sensitive to heat.:-)

Room Tip: Lovely deep bathtubs or spend day in spa
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
thedorchester, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments, I am delighted to hear about your visits to The Dorchester and very proud that our staff have made an impression on you. I will certainly be passing along your praise to the team, especially Haddi from our Front Desk team.
I apologise for the inconvenience that you have experienced with regards to the air conditioning. I can assure you that our engineering team will be following up on your comments made to resolve the issue as we move into the warm summer months.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future. Please do contact me directly and allow me to look after you on your next visit to London.

Reviewed 17 April 2011

Stayed at the hotel for 1 night as a birthday celebration. Got a £660 room for £360 on Booking.com. We were upgraded on arrival. First class reception service. Room was lovely with lots of attention to detail. Breakfast was lovely - room service was a nice treat (£35 pp). A wonderful experience.

• Stayed: April 2011

Dear Guest,
I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your birthday visit to The Dorchester. I am honoured that you chose to spend your birthday with us and thrilled that we helped make it a happy celebration.
We hope to welcome you back to The Dorchester again in the near future.

Reviewed 15 April 2011

Scary junior suite with old facilities with poor view from the window, ....
Over 1000 pounds a day!
In addition to the credit card was charged 2 times

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
14  Thank AppolonoaS

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your stay at The Dorchester.
I was extremely concerned to read that your stay did not live up to your expectations and I trust that you will allow us the opportunity in the future to showcase to you the great choice of accommodation we are able to offer.
I do hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to The Dorchester, please contact me directly prior to your next stay and allow me to personally look after your arrangements for you.

Reviewed 13 April 2011

One of several bars in the hotel, very good drinks, music OK and not too loud, ugly interior and the waiters are way too pushy: your glass is not yet empty when they already ask what you want to drink; clear instructions from management to boost the consumption??!!!

Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank ikke48
thedorchester, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.
I was however concerned to read your comments following your stay with us at The Dorchester in respect of your experience in The Bar, and I would like to assure you that it is not at all representative of the hotel. I would be most grateful for the opportunity to speak with you in person to discuss your comments further, and would therefore ask you to kindly contact me directly here at the hotel.
I look forward to hearing from you at your convenience.
Yours faithfully,