“Afternoon tea at the Dorchester”
Review of The Dorchester

The Dorchester
Ranked #50 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed 13 October 2011

I have just returned from a weekend in London and was lucky enough to be treated by a friend for afternoon tea at the Dorchester, in celebration of my birthday.

On arrival, we were warmly greeted and advised where the clockrooms and ladies were situated. On returning, we were shown to our table and introduced to our waitress (unfortunately I'm terrible with names, so can't pass on our delight directly). Although we had booked the standard afternoon tea, we were shown the menu to see if we wanted any extras. As it was the day of my birthday, we treated ourselves to a glass of champers, which was delicious. Although you are given a time limit when booking, we certainly didn't feel rush and it was a very nice paced afternoon.

We ordered our tea and then our sandwiches arrived. They were so fresh and full of flavour and you were given the opportunity to have as many as you liked. Warm scones followed, together with an amazing selection of cakes. Our waitress was warm, friendly and the service was perfect.

As a lovely touch, I was then presented with a small birthday cake, which really made my day :). The birthday cake and small cakes that we hadn't been able to eat, were boxed, to enable them to take us home.

So all in all, I would throughly recommend the Dorchester for any special occasion, the surroundings are beautiful, the food divine and the staff so warm and friendly!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank ShropshireMsD
PromenadeDorchester, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2011

Dear Guest,
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your kind feedback and I am delighted that you enjoyed your celebratory Afternoon Tea experience at The Dorchester. It is our aim to always exceed guest expectations and I am pleased we were able to create a memorable occasion for you. Rest assured I have shared your kind comments with the team in the Promenade who were thrilled to receive the feedback.
On behalf of us all here at The Dorchester, I hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
Renaud Gregoire
Director of Food and Beverage

There are newer reviews for The Dorchester

Reviewed 7 October 2011

Perfect position to explore London, we drove in and used there car park which is conveniently placed and very reasonable. The room was very nicely furnished the bed was comfy and very large, bathroom was very clean shower powerful.
Breakfast was a treat food was excellent all very fresh from a full cooked English to fresh fruit,meats and pastry.
All staff very pleasant, they bring the car up to you when you ready to leave.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
thedorchester, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2011

Dear Guest,
I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Dorchester. I must agree – the location is ideal to explore London. I will be pleased to pass along your kind comments to the rest of our team. On behalf of everyone at The Dorchester, I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 3 October 2011

The Dorchester was recommended by a friend, and I must say I was very pleased with the overall service. The staff was extremely attentive, polite, and helpful. I stayed in a Queen size room where the bathroom was amazing. I loved the marble tiles and fabulous bathtub. The only minor disappointment was the decor of the bedroom. It reminded me of an old cottage with a countryside floral print on the bedspread and curtains. An updated and more modern look would have topped it off. The bed was comfortable, and the room was well structured to silence any potential noise in adjacent rooms.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THE SPA!!! What an amazing experience. I pampered myself to The Lavender Crush spa treatment. If you stay at The Dorchester, you must receive a spa treatment while visiting.

I give this hotel a 4-star rating because I did feel it was slightly overpriced for the services I received. The hotel is located in Hyde Park which is a very safe neighborhood. There is a cafe called Cafe Richoux that I visited quite often during my weekend travels. It is in walking distance from The Dorchester...about 5 minutes.

I would probably stay at this hotel again during my next trip to London.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank LSNelson28970
thedorchester, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing The Dorchester for your first trip to London.
I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Dorchester on your next visit to London. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance.

Reviewed 30 September 2011

A classic landmark hotel no doubt but there are so many better places to stay.
Anyone who has ever stayed in a real 5 star hotel in Asia or the mniddle east knows this can never be a 5 star hotel in their league .

If you like history thats fine but I prefer bigger rooms and less stuffy environment.

As a plus its well located for the west end and the park and teh chinese restaurant is very good

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank TConway
thedorchester, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about The Dorchester; I’m happy to hear that you enjoy China Tang. However, I am disappointed that your stay did not live up to your expectations. Our team strives to provide exemplary service to our guests and I am sorry to hear that you did not feel this way.
I do hope that you will allow us the chance to welcome you back to The Dorchester in the future.

Reviewed 29 September 2011

The Dorchester obviously has a strong following amongst the well heeled looking for that old school charm. However I never really understood exactly what was so fantastic to justify the £500 pn for what was essentially a small room with a shower inside the bath. Something I really loath as climbing into a bath for a shower and invariably struggling with he night if the shower head pretty much is guaranteed to put me in a bad mood. Yes the staff are smiling and efficient but I would expect that at any 5 star hotel. Breakfast to be honest pretty average. A pancake, 2 pieces od crispy bacon, orange juice and coffee will set you back £32. A bit heavy considering the bacon had burnt edges and 1 day the pancake came with a compote and the next day it didn't! Wireless access in the rooms was intermittent with varying strength and costs a hefty £19 p.d. Laundery of socks at £5 had me just go out and buy a 3 pack. All in all this is a place for the wealthy to enjoy without consideration of the price but left me feeling pretty ambivalent. Maybe the new 45 Park Lane would suit my more modern needs.

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank KarlBahrain

Dear Guest,
I appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience at The Dorchester, we greatly value hearing all our guest’s feedback. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not to your liking. Please be assured that I will chare your comments with the rest of the team as we constantly strive to improve our guests’ experience.
I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Dorchester or to our sister hotel, 45 Park Lane.

Reviewed 24 September 2011

We took advantage of a deal on the internet for a 2 night stay including breakfast, the hotel , rooms and entrance area are superb, the main hall is one of the best looking lounge area's of any hotel I have stayed in, the big disapointment was the breakfast, after trying to order scambled eggs three times we gave up, everyone of them were well over done! we could not get over to the kichen staff via the waiter to do them lightly, cardboard tasting eggs should not happen or be expected in a 5 star hotel, in the end I offered to the waiter my services in order to show the kitchen staff how to cook scrambled eggs correctly, my offer was declined politely, in the end my wife had the english breakfast which was nothing to shout about, so good hotel but the food is dissapointing, we asked the hotel conseiage to order afternoon tea in the Langham hotel which was great, we also went in the London eye and went to a show in the westend, all in all a very pleasent little trip.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
PromenadeDorchester, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with you feedback following your recent stay at The Dorchester. We always aim to provide exemplary service and fine cuisine so I am disappointed to hear this was not apparent during your stay with us. I would very much like the opportunity to discuss with you your experience personally. To this end I would be grateful if you could contact me directly at your convenience. With sincere thanks once again and we hope to welcome you back to The Dorchester in the not too distant future.
Renaud Gregoire
Director of Food and Beverage

Reviewed 19 September 2011

This is the 4th occasion when I have been lucky enough to spend a day at this Spa - and on each occasion it has more than lived up to its reputation.

The decor provides an oasis of calm - in a setting which is so glamorous you can imagine yourself whisked back to a 1940's or 50's flm set! All the main areas are cream and brightly lit with lots of mirrors and draped organza curtains - with a sweeping chandelier in reception and a locker room with a unique 4 seater "dressing table" in the centre (and not a smelly pair of trainers in sight!)

The treatment rooms are spacious and very comfortable - with showers attached - and the dressing robes and towels are luxuriously soft and thick

The lavender crush treatment is one of my favourites - although I have also had an aromatherapy massage and facial on previous occasions, which were also excellent

The showers are well appointed and powerful - although there are only 2 regular showers (and a greater number of treatment rooms) - which could cause a bit of congestion

The relaxation room is dark and serene - with comfortable sofas with plumped up cushions and a table full of healthy nibbles

I usually opt to have a light lunch in the Spatisserie which is within the Spa area - and so it is perfectly acceptable to eat in a robe if inbetween treatments. It is beautifully appointed, albeit simple - and the food is healthy and first rate. On each occasion it been known the occasion was a special one (eg my niece's 18th birthday) we have been presented with a complimentary Congratulations chocolate cake!

The staff are delightful - and the therapists seemed genuinely concerned to ensure our experience was made as pleasurable as possible

My only slight irritation is that the music in the treatment rooms appears "piped" - and was slightly irritating - some of it was too fast to accord with the wonderfully relaxing treatment!

Not a cheap day - but absolutely value for money!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lavinia02
thedorchester, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2011

Dear Guest,
I’m delighted that you and your friends enjoyed a relaxing day at The Dorchester Spa. It sounds like you had a lovely experience and I appreciate that you have taken the time to share your kind comments.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future, and keep in mind for next time, our therapists will be happy to lower the volume of the music in your treatment room if it is not to your liking.