“A Perfect Intro to London”
Review of The Dorchester

The Dorchester
Ranked #54 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 24 November 2012

Can enough things ever be said about The Dorchester? We are a family of Aussies who arrived in London for the first time. We had all been so looking forward to our stay there, but must have presented a treat as we piled in, jetlagged from the horrible 24 hour flight and in much dissarray. We are from Tasmania, so London was a huge confrontation to us in such a state. I will never forget the ready welcome from the doorman as I came out of the car, and the surroundings as we entered were almost intimidating - that same doorman was to be most helpful to us several times. The rooms were lovely, the beautiful bathrooms so welcoming to someone tired and aching, and the selection of food from the room service menu was so gratefully used at 3am when we were wide awake. The beds were just beautiful and luxurious. Breakfast in The Promenade was an experience, and a waiter named Michael was particularly delightful. Too much formality can be very oppressive to teenagers, but he had them laughing at at their ease in no time, without losing his professional manner - he was wonderful and we still talk about how charming he was. The Promenade itself is stunning, and I would happily have sat looking at it for hours, the food was wonderful and the service second to none. The Dorchester manager has much to be proud of and the staff are trained to perfection. It was an extravagance to be sure, but I hope I am never jaded enough to fail to be delighted in such surroundings.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
PromenadeDorchester, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2012

Dear Fluke5,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a kind review of your recent stay. I am delighted to read how welcomed you and your family felt after your journey from Tasmania. It is a pleasure to read how much your family enjoyed the rooms, service and dining in The Promenade and I will be sure to share this with the team involved. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Kind regards, John Scanlon, Hotel Manager, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

There are newer reviews for The Dorchester

Reviewed 23 November 2012

Enjoyed a champagne afternoon tea to celebrate my friend's birthday. The promenade within the hotel is where you are seated and it is English style at its best. Beautiful colours, lighting and staff as well as a wonderful array of sandwiches, scones and pastries. A glass of champagne was included in our tea and then the pianist played Happy birthday for my friend and the waiter brought out a complementary individual chocolate birthday cake complete with candles ... a lovely touch that really made my friend smile.

If you want to experience one of London's finest landmark hotels then you won't e disappointed.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
PromenadeDorchester, Director of Food and Beverage at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2012

Dear Bramblewood1,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave such kind feedback of your recent afternoon tea in The Promenade. I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed the sandwiches, scones and pastries and to read how much your friend enjoyed her birthday celebrations and cake. I will share your feedback with the team involved and I look forward to welcoming you back here in the not too distant future.
Kind regards, Stephane Lafon, Director of Food and Beverage, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

Reviewed 20 November 2012

We had a wonderful stay for my husbands 50th Birthday, we received a room upgrade on checking in. The room was very comfortable. The staff and service throughout the hotel was superb, we have already booked to come back in December for 2 nights. Would thoroughly recommend this hotel! Breakfast is exceptional. Wonderful hotel, great friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
PromenadeDorchester, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2012

Dear SpellerK,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a kind review of your recent stay at The Dorchester. I am delighted that you chose The Dorchester to celebrate your husband’s 50th birthday with us and how much you all enjoyed the service and food and it will be a pleasure to welcome you back in December.

Reviewed 19 November 2012

I was taken to The Dorchester for afternoon tea as a birthday gift and loved it! The atmosphere is far friendlier and less OTT than the Ritz. The Dorchester is the type of place you can imagine going to regularly and feeling comfortable, rather than a place you go to once for a special occasion and never re-visit! We didn't feel awkward asking for more (and more!) sandwiches, and the variety of breads was wonderful. They gave me a complimentary cake, additional set of desserts and two Dorchester pens to take away because it was my birthday, which was a nice touch. The waiting staff took a genuine interest in why you were there, and stopped to chat rather than serving you and running away, but it was the personal touch of our server Oliver which really made the experience. Would recommend without hesitation!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2012

It was my first stay at The Dorchester and it most certainly will not be my last. The whole experience was quite superb and l completely fell in love with the hotel.
Service was impeccable as was the delicious breakfast enjoyed either in the Grill or Promenade each morning.
The whole ambience is delightful and very relaxing and although there were a few famous people in residence during our stay we were always greeted very warmly with a genuine smile and a warm welcome back.
I have stayed in most of the five star establishments in London, many of which could learn a thing or two from this beautiful hotel and the delightful people who work there.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
PromenadeDorchester, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2012

Dear TEEMILL,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a kind review of your recent stay at The Dorchester. It is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed the whole experience and that you fell in love with our hotel. I will happily share your kind feedback with the team here and I very much look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay with us.

Reviewed 15 November 2012

While I didn't stay in the hotel itself, I was visiting for a business meeting recently. The person I was due to meet was delayed so myself and some colleagues decided a late breakfast would be nice to pass the time. I asked three times in the main foyer lounge for us to be looked after. In the end I fetched a menu myself from behind the desk, only to discover there were no breakfast items on it.
Dismayed a colleague went into the bar off the main lounge and thankfully the staff there were more interested in us. The manager found us a table in the main lounge and ordered the coffee and pastries we'd been trying to get for over 30 minutes.
When it all arrived it was delicious and very well presented, however the service at such a swanky hotel put me off ever staying there. Never had such a problem at Claridges. A real shame.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Shruggy
PromenadeDorchester, Director of Food and Beverage at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2012

Dear Shruggy,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit to The Dorchester. I am sorry to read that your experience in The Promenade did not live up to your expectations but I am pleased to read that you were able to enjoy breakfast in The Bar at The Dorchester. All feedback we receive is invaluable and I will share your comments with the team here.

Reviewed 13 November 2012

There is no where like the Dorchester. Even though I was there with the Kardashians and there were 200 fans outside, inside was an oasis of tranquillity, with the exceptional personal service that the Dorchester is famous for. This was my fifth stay there and I am a firm afficionado. Just a wonderfiul place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank aidblogger
PromenadeDorchester, Director of Food and Beverage at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2012

Dear aidblogger,
It is a pleasure to read how much you enjoy staying at The Dorchester and I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the personal service and tranquillity on your last stay. I very much look forward to welcoming you back here again on your next visit.
Kind regards, Stephane Lafon, Director of Food & Beverage, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection