“Comfortable home away from home”
Review of The Dorchester

The Dorchester
Ranked #50 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 28 November 2012

This hotel is superb in every way. The service is attentive and helpful while allowing a high degree of privacy without incessant interruptions. The staff is wonderful. Our room is large and traditionally furnished in understated elegance. The hotel has a lively chic international clientele. The food is very good. Reception was efficient, elevators quick, bath water very hot and fast, room service delivery less than 30 minutes, wall outlets convenient for charging phones, room lighting varied and abundant....really am enjoying my stay!

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
thedorchester, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2012

Dear Nancy H,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay at The Dorchester. It is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us and how much you liked all aspects of the hotel including the food, rooms and service. Once again, thank you.
Kind regards, John Scanlon, Hotel Manager, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

Reviewed 27 November 2012

I was in London with my partner and our very wonderful friend from November 10th through the 18th. We were treated royally! This was our (my partners' and mine) first visit to London, we were thinking it was going to be more formal and, well, snooty. We couldn't be more wrong. Everyone was friendly and welcoming.
From the first step into the lobby, to our rooms, the Dorchester certainly does not disappoint! Our first meeting of the reception staff was memorable, we were waited on by Alfonso and lovely blond young lady, I'm sorry i didn't get her name..... They were polite, knowledgeable and accommodating. Our room.... well, it was beautiful! Vintage charm with modern updates.....
I've read other reviews where they complained about the old style of the hotel, we were certainly enamored.... The bathroom was luxurious, deep soaking tub, large shower stall, with excellent water pressure! The bed was quite comfortable and view of Hyde Park was terrific to wake up to.
Our visits to the Grill and Promenade were equally appealing. The attention to detail was amazing, with professional service and excellent food. We usually had either breakfast or dinner at the Hotel, among traveling through the city and visiting various pubs and restaurants. The food was delicious and presented quite beautifully! Our servers at the Grill welcomed us daily, remembering what we liked, recommending new things that we might like, and asking about our visit. I have to say, we were really impressed. We were at the front desk on the 14th and were talking with Alfonso, and he heard that it was my birthday, wishing me a warm Happy Birthday and hoping that we enjoyed our afternoon. Upon return from a shopping trip to Harrod's, we returned to our room to find a chocolate mousse and a bottle of champagne waiting for us! I was certainly touched at this gesture, it meant a lot to me that he would take the time to make us that much more welcome!
I would like to take a moment to thank the hotel staff for taking such wonderful care of us! I spoke with Martin, I believe his name was, at the theater desk, and he was able to get us tickets for Wicked, excellent seats my friend!! And the gentlemen at the concierge desk were always knowledgeable and helpful!
Alfonso left on holiday before we checked out, so I was unable to thank him, so, Thank you Alfonso, I hope that next time we are in London, we have the good fortune to see you again!

If you are looking to be treated like a Queen or King, you certainly need to visit this wonderful place!

Thank you again!

Room Tip: All the rooms were wonderful
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
thedorchester, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2012

Dear Michael D,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review of your recent stay at The Dorchester. It is a pleasure to read how welcomed you felt and how much you enjoyed the rooms, food and service. I am delighted to read that we could celebrate your birthday with some treats from the hotel. I will share your feedback with the team here and will pass on your thanks to Alfonso and Martin.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

Enjoyed afternoon High Tea in the Promenade the food and service was exceptional and the Promenade its self is lovely. A great way to spend an afternoon, pure luxury, the scones were the best I have ever tasted and the selection of pastries contained some truly unique combinations of flavours.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank expeditionworld
PromenadeDorchester, Director of Food and Beverage at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2012

Dear expeditionworld,
Many thanks for your kind feedback on your afternoon tea in The Promenade.It is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your afternoon with us and how much you like the scones. I will be delighted to share your kind feedback with the team involved and I hope to welcome you back here again in the not too distant future.
Kind regards, Stephane Lafon, Director of Food and Beverage, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

Reviewed 25 November 2012

This hotel was excellent. Our stay was superb. The staff were exceptional, everyone of them very friendly and polite. The room was amazing and on checking in we were upgraded.
Afternoon Tea in the promenade was an experience i will never forget. If you are looking for a luxury hotel in London i believe the Dorchester is at the top. Thank you for such a fantastic stay. We will be back.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
PromenadeDorchester, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2012

Dear mampti,
I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed your recent stay at The Dorchester and thank you for taking the time to leave such a kind review. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed afternoon tea in The Promenade and I do hope that you will be back soon as you have ‘promised’.

Reviewed 24 November 2012

Can enough things ever be said about The Dorchester? We are a family of Aussies who arrived in London for the first time. We had all been so looking forward to our stay there, but must have presented a treat as we piled in, jetlagged from the horrible 24 hour flight and in much dissarray. We are from Tasmania, so London was a huge confrontation to us in such a state. I will never forget the ready welcome from the doorman as I came out of the car, and the surroundings as we entered were almost intimidating - that same doorman was to be most helpful to us several times. The rooms were lovely, the beautiful bathrooms so welcoming to someone tired and aching, and the selection of food from the room service menu was so gratefully used at 3am when we were wide awake. The beds were just beautiful and luxurious. Breakfast in The Promenade was an experience, and a waiter named Michael was particularly delightful. Too much formality can be very oppressive to teenagers, but he had them laughing at at their ease in no time, without losing his professional manner - he was wonderful and we still talk about how charming he was. The Promenade itself is stunning, and I would happily have sat looking at it for hours, the food was wonderful and the service second to none. The Dorchester manager has much to be proud of and the staff are trained to perfection. It was an extravagance to be sure, but I hope I am never jaded enough to fail to be delighted in such surroundings.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Dear Fluke5,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a kind review of your recent stay. I am delighted to read how welcomed you and your family felt after your journey from Tasmania. It is a pleasure to read how much your family enjoyed the rooms, service and dining in The Promenade and I will be sure to share this with the team involved. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 23 November 2012

Enjoyed a champagne afternoon tea to celebrate my friend's birthday. The promenade within the hotel is where you are seated and it is English style at its best. Beautiful colours, lighting and staff as well as a wonderful array of sandwiches, scones and pastries. A glass of champagne was included in our tea and then the pianist played Happy birthday for my friend and the waiter brought out a complementary individual chocolate birthday cake complete with candles ... a lovely touch that really made my friend smile.

If you want to experience one of London's finest landmark hotels then you won't e disappointed.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
PromenadeDorchester, Director of Food and Beverage at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2012

Dear Bramblewood1,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave such kind feedback of your recent afternoon tea in The Promenade. I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed the sandwiches, scones and pastries and to read how much your friend enjoyed her birthday celebrations and cake. I will share your feedback with the team involved and I look forward to welcoming you back here in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 20 November 2012

We had a wonderful stay for my husbands 50th Birthday, we received a room upgrade on checking in. The room was very comfortable. The staff and service throughout the hotel was superb, we have already booked to come back in December for 2 nights. Would thoroughly recommend this hotel! Breakfast is exceptional. Wonderful hotel, great friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
PromenadeDorchester, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2012

Dear SpellerK,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a kind review of your recent stay at The Dorchester. I am delighted that you chose The Dorchester to celebrate your husband’s 50th birthday with us and how much you all enjoyed the service and food and it will be a pleasure to welcome you back in December.