“Another flawless stay”
Review of The Dorchester

The Dorchester
Ranked #54 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Revisited The Dorchester Nov.18-28. The festive season was in full swing and the hotel decorations were terrific - especially in the Promenade. As always, the service was perfect - with special mention to the breakfast, bar, and housekeeping staff. But more important was the feeling that the folks know this is my London home away from home - from the minute I arrive, it's like stepping through my front door. Thanks to all - and have a wonderful Christmas!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank phildiver1
thedorchester, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2012

Dear phildiver1,
Many thanks for taking the time leave such kind feedback on your recent visit to The Dorchester. It is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your stay and how much you like our Christmas decorations in The Promenade. Wishing you a wonderful Christmas and I look forward to welcoming you back here on your next visit.
Kind regards, John Scanlon, Hotel Manager, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

Write a ReviewReviews (1,619)

Reviewed 28 November 2012 via mobile

I have just returned from a three-night stay at The Dorchester and found the hotel, whilst undoubtedly very good, fell short of expectations.

Let me begin by saying that the staff were all excellent. Everybody we dealt with was polite, professional and friendly. My girlfriend and I were usually greeted by name and room service was always quick and courteous.

My main gripe is the blatant avarice of the hotel's owners. Now, I know that other top flight hotels adopt similar practices but there are much more affordable places to stay which offer such facilities as full satellite television (The Dorchester offers a very limited selection of channels), complimentary wifi (£19.50 per day here) and a complimentary minibar (£3.50 for a packet of crisps, when I've just paid £450 for the room? Really?) as a matter of course.

Further to this, the room service menu states that a delivery charge of four pounds would be added to each order. I assume that this surcharge doesn't reach the waiter, who is probably on not much more than the national minimum wage, so it is most rapacious of the hotel's owners to exploit customers in this way. I'd rather not have to pay a delivery charge and tip the waiter in cash.

At least they notify you in advance that you'll be charged for room service. At check-in, the hotel informed me that as well as the total cost of the room, they would be taking an up-front fee of £200 per night to cover room service and other charges. I would have had no objection had I been forewarned of this, but no mention of this policy was made at any point during the reservation process.

As far as the hotel is concerned, the public areas are all of a high standard and The Promenade Bar, in particular, stands out. All food and drink was of a high standard but our room, whilst spacious and with a beautifully appointed bathroom, had a few minor flaws, ill becoming of such a prestigious property: not one of the lampshades in our room was correctly aligned; the docking station for iPods was so worn that it would only play if the device was physically held in place; there was dust on one of the bathroom shelves; the television wasn't correctly formatted, so that widescreen broadcasts reached beyond the parameters of the screen; the fruit bowl wasn't replenished on a daily basis.

Overall, I'd say that The Dorchester is a fairly average five-star hotel and doubt that I'll be going back there.

• Stayed: November 2012
thedorchester, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2012

Dear SprinterSacre,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave feedback of your recent stay at The Dorchester and I am sorry to read that aspects of your visit did not live up to your expectations. I would very much like to discuss this with you further so can I kindly ask that you contact me directly at the hotel.

Reviewed 28 November 2012

This hotel is superb in every way. The service is attentive and helpful while allowing a high degree of privacy without incessant interruptions. The staff is wonderful. Our room is large and traditionally furnished in understated elegance. The hotel has a lively chic international clientele. The food is very good. Reception was efficient, elevators quick, bath water very hot and fast, room service delivery less than 30 minutes, wall outlets convenient for charging phones, room lighting varied and abundant....really am enjoying my stay!

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Nancy H,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay at The Dorchester. It is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us and how much you liked all aspects of the hotel including the food, rooms and service. Once again, thank you.

Reviewed 27 November 2012

I was in London with my partner and our very wonderful friend from November 10th through the 18th. We were treated royally! This was our (my partners' and mine) first visit to London, we were thinking it was going to be more formal and, well, snooty. We couldn't be more wrong. Everyone was friendly and welcoming.
From the first step into the lobby, to our rooms, the Dorchester certainly does not disappoint! Our first meeting of the reception staff was memorable, we were waited on by Alfonso and lovely blond young lady, I'm sorry i didn't get her name..... They were polite, knowledgeable and accommodating. Our room.... well, it was beautiful! Vintage charm with modern updates.....
I've read other reviews where they complained about the old style of the hotel, we were certainly enamored.... The bathroom was luxurious, deep soaking tub, large shower stall, with excellent water pressure! The bed was quite comfortable and view of Hyde Park was terrific to wake up to.
Our visits to the Grill and Promenade were equally appealing. The attention to detail was amazing, with professional service and excellent food. We usually had either breakfast or dinner at the Hotel, among traveling through the city and visiting various pubs and restaurants. The food was delicious and presented quite beautifully! Our servers at the Grill welcomed us daily, remembering what we liked, recommending new things that we might like, and asking about our visit. I have to say, we were really impressed. We were at the front desk on the 14th and were talking with Alfonso, and he heard that it was my birthday, wishing me a warm Happy Birthday and hoping that we enjoyed our afternoon. Upon return from a shopping trip to Harrod's, we returned to our room to find a chocolate mousse and a bottle of champagne waiting for us! I was certainly touched at this gesture, it meant a lot to me that he would take the time to make us that much more welcome!
I would like to take a moment to thank the hotel staff for taking such wonderful care of us! I spoke with Martin, I believe his name was, at the theater desk, and he was able to get us tickets for Wicked, excellent seats my friend!! And the gentlemen at the concierge desk were always knowledgeable and helpful!
Alfonso left on holiday before we checked out, so I was unable to thank him, so, Thank you Alfonso, I hope that next time we are in London, we have the good fortune to see you again!

If you are looking to be treated like a Queen or King, you certainly need to visit this wonderful place!

Thank you again!

Room Tip: All the rooms were wonderful
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
thedorchester, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2012

Dear Michael D,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review of your recent stay at The Dorchester. It is a pleasure to read how welcomed you felt and how much you enjoyed the rooms, food and service. I am delighted to read that we could celebrate your birthday with some treats from the hotel. I will share your feedback with the team here and will pass on your thanks to Alfonso and Martin.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

Enjoyed afternoon High Tea in the Promenade the food and service was exceptional and the Promenade its self is lovely. A great way to spend an afternoon, pure luxury, the scones were the best I have ever tasted and the selection of pastries contained some truly unique combinations of flavours.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank expeditionworld
PromenadeDorchester, Director of Food and Beverage at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2012

Dear expeditionworld,
Many thanks for your kind feedback on your afternoon tea in The Promenade.It is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your afternoon with us and how much you like the scones. I will be delighted to share your kind feedback with the team involved and I hope to welcome you back here again in the not too distant future.
Kind regards, Stephane Lafon, Director of Food and Beverage, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

Reviewed 25 November 2012

This hotel was excellent. Our stay was superb. The staff were exceptional, everyone of them very friendly and polite. The room was amazing and on checking in we were upgraded.
Afternoon Tea in the promenade was an experience i will never forget. If you are looking for a luxury hotel in London i believe the Dorchester is at the top. Thank you for such a fantastic stay. We will be back.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
PromenadeDorchester, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2012

Dear mampti,
I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed your recent stay at The Dorchester and thank you for taking the time to leave such a kind review. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed afternoon tea in The Promenade and I do hope that you will be back soon as you have ‘promised’.

Reviewed 24 November 2012

Can enough things ever be said about The Dorchester? We are a family of Aussies who arrived in London for the first time. We had all been so looking forward to our stay there, but must have presented a treat as we piled in, jetlagged from the horrible 24 hour flight and in much dissarray. We are from Tasmania, so London was a huge confrontation to us in such a state. I will never forget the ready welcome from the doorman as I came out of the car, and the surroundings as we entered were almost intimidating - that same doorman was to be most helpful to us several times. The rooms were lovely, the beautiful bathrooms so welcoming to someone tired and aching, and the selection of food from the room service menu was so gratefully used at 3am when we were wide awake. The beds were just beautiful and luxurious. Breakfast in The Promenade was an experience, and a waiter named Michael was particularly delightful. Too much formality can be very oppressive to teenagers, but he had them laughing at at their ease in no time, without losing his professional manner - he was wonderful and we still talk about how charming he was. The Promenade itself is stunning, and I would happily have sat looking at it for hours, the food was wonderful and the service second to none. The Dorchester manager has much to be proud of and the staff are trained to perfection. It was an extravagance to be sure, but I hope I am never jaded enough to fail to be delighted in such surroundings.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Dear Fluke5,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a kind review of your recent stay. I am delighted to read how welcomed you and your family felt after your journey from Tasmania. It is a pleasure to read how much your family enjoyed the rooms, service and dining in The Promenade and I will be sure to share this with the team involved. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.