“Just too amazing for words”
Review of The Dorchester

The Dorchester
Ranked #52 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Took my husband to this hotel for his 60th birthday. it was amazing from the moment we stepped up to the reception desk. We were received like celebrities and given room upgrades without even asking. Everything was incredible. We had a birthday cake and huge bowl of fruit plus champagne in the room. They even gave my husband a birthday card. Attention to detail was outstanding. Bars, restaurants and staff were all the best ever. we have stayed in top class hotels all over the world but the Dorchester is our number I. Can't wait to go back, but this time it will be for two nights! Many thanks to a truly great team x

Room Tip: Sixth floor and above views are great. Try to get a Hyde Park view - Amazballs! . Lift very fast!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank eve_meager
John S, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

Dear eve_meager,
I am delighted to read how much you and your husband enjoyed your celebratory stay for your husband’s birthday and it was a pleasure to read how much you appreciated the room upgrade, birthday cake and champagne. It will be my pleasure to share your comments with the team here and I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you both on a return visit soon.
Kind regards, John Scanlon, Hotel Manager, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

Write a ReviewReviews (1,611)

Reviewed 14 March 2013

We came to the Dorchester for our daughters 21st Birthday celebration, 6 People and 23 month old, we have stayed at the Dorchester several times and always been very happy, on this particular stay as always the staff and service from all areas of the hotel was fantastic, we had 3 rooms all excellent, a very nice cot for the little fellor and a high chair fully available whenever required, our daughters had some treatments in the spa which they enjoyed very much, we had afternoon tea in the promanade and also an evening meal later, the staff catered for all our requirements on this special trip and made the experience exceptional, we had room service which was prompt, The hotel and rooms are of excellent standard, lovely flowers throughout, we had some special requests to celebrate our daughters birthday with particular thanks to Petronella and Emily for attending to our requirements, they made the weekend extremely welcoming and special, the entire experience was brilliant, all staff friendly and helpfull, they could not have done any more to make our daughters and grandson more welcome, check in and out was prompt thanks to Emma on reception, what more can i say, just how service from a quality hotel should be, professional, caring, attentive just Brilliant.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 29TOny_O129

Dear 29Tony_O129,
It was a pleasure to read your kind comments following your recent stay at The Dorchester and how much you and your family enjoyed the hotel. I was delighted to read that your daughters had an opportunity to relax in our spa and how you all enjoyed afternoon tea in The Promenade. I will share your kind comments with Petronella, Emily and Emma and the rest of the team. It was very nice of you to remember them by name and to mention them in your review. I look forward to welcoming you all on a future visit.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

We have not tried the dorchester rooms (YET) but we visited for a meal which i could only say was superb.Staff provide a warm and friendly service although i have to agree with a few comments down some spoke very little english which was slightly hard to speak in general terms ( had to break it down a little) But we wasn't to bothered about this.More importantly the food was a delight ,food cooked to highest quality of foods.
For a treat i would suggest you visit

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank maggie s
PromenadeDorchester, Director of Food and Beverage at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

Dear Maggie S,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent visit to The Dorchester and I am delighted at how much you enjoyed your meal here. It will be my pleasure to share your comments with the team and I look forward to welcoming you here for an overnight stay in the not too distant future.
Kind regards, Stephan Lafon, Director of Food and Beverage, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

Reviewed 13 March 2013

I came here for my Mum's 50th and had afternoon tea in the Promenade. I have never been to this Hotel but I can definitely say I would come again! We were greeted by the staff who were very friendly and helpful. Our Waiters were lovely and the overall experience was fantastic!
Due to it being my Mum's Birthday, they brought out a cake for her and the pianist played the Birthday song. Was a fab day and my Mum thoroughly enjoyed herself!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AnnabelBowden
PromenadeDorchester, Director of Food and Beverage at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2013

Dear AnnabelBurgon,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave a kind review of your recent birthday afternoon tea in The Promenade. I am delighted you chose to celebrate at The Dorchester and how much you and your mother enjoyed the whole experience. I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
Kind regards, Stephane Lafon, Director of Food and Beverage, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

Reviewed 9 March 2013

Never having needed hotels in the great city of London, the Dorchester has long been my ideal grand hotel. A opportunity to sample the inner functions of this renowned institution left me with most of my expectations fulfilled, but also left me with some disappointments as well. Grand public areas and a selection of jolly good eateries are present. The waiters were helpful, if too attentive rather than obsequiously discreet -the latter being preferable, and the room service was efficient, but struggled with English (all-too-predictable in modern London). The room was large and comfortable, but some of the wood and fabric decor had seen better days and the Axminster-esque carpets in the corridors needed renewing. No apparent dress code was enforced downstairs, disappointingly, and some of the foreign clientele enjoyed temporary companions rather too publicly for civilised standards. Anyone expecting a modern-day Earl of Grantham to maintain standards would be disappointed. The Ritz, it seems, keeps civilised sartorial and behavioural formalities better enforced.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the inner courtyard are quieter, but lack the Park Lane view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Occasional-Jetsetter
John S, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2013

Dear CR,
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at The Dorchester . I was pleased to read that you enjoyed many aspects of the hotel and I have taken all your other observations most seriously and will address them. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Dorchester on another occasion.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

We booked dinner, bed and breakfast for 1 night as a Christmas present. We have always been put off a little by the exterior of the hotel with its Ferraris, Rolls Royce’s etc parked outside as we always felt we would not fit in, how wrong we were. The hotel is excellent and the service is exceptional. We checked in and where taken to our rooms by a lovely young lady who explained that they had put us in a newly refurbished room and she checked if we needed anything else. The rooms was stunning, marble bathroom and a massive queen size bed, the decor id beautiful and topped off with a Bang & Olufsen on the wall. A man turned up 10 minutes later with some water and a fruit platter. We had booked into The Grill restaurant which was very nice, if not a little expensive. The breakfast was good, no requests seemed to challenge the waiter and that’s what you pay for, it's not the stuff you see it's the stuff that don't see behind the scenes. During our stay we were treated like all the other guests and didn't feel inferior in any way. The only little minus point was the view from the room, it was not great but as it was only for 1 night we put up with it. Checkout was smooth and efficient and we came away with a big smile on our faces. Yes it's not cheap, but I would certainly find a bit extra cash to stay with them again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Peartree123

Dear Peartree123,
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a kind comment on your recent stay at The Dorchester. I am delighted to read how much you both enjoyed the whole experience including the rooms, service and dining in The Grill. It will be a pleasure to share your comments with everyone here and I hope to get the opportunity to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

Lovely surroundings, with good sandwiches, but the afternoon was spoilt by being overcharged by £37 each! No acknowledgement or apology, which left a surprisingly poor aftertaste. This is the first time this has happened to us. Therefore, by all means go, but do state clearly how you would like your card to be charged prior to handing it over.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Dear SD,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent visit for afternoon tea in the Promenade. As mentioned in my letter, I am sorry to hear that your experience did not live up to your expectations and I would like to discuss this with you further if you could contact me directly at the hotel.