“Mmhhh, too many little things were not right”
Review of The Dorchester

The Dorchester
Ranked #36 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Bicester, United Kingdom
“Mmhhh, too many little things were not right”
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I was looking forward to my stay at The Dorchester but was rather disappointed. The two main issues were:

1) they were renovating some of the corridors and for some obscure reason they decided it would be a good idea to place me and one of our business partners in that section: this meant that from 7am there was noise from the workmen re-doing the wallpaper. On my last morning it also seemed like they were renovating the bathroom in the room above mine as there was very lound ongoing noise of building work. Complaints to the hotel manager seems to have had little effect although at the end they did provide a discount. Surely for a hotel of their standing they should close the wings they are renovating and place customers in the quiet part: secret of a good hotel? A good night's sleep.

2) the service at breakfast was really very poor, especially on the 2nd day when the waiter kept forgetting most of the order, and then the easiest of the orders (a salmon bagel) took nearly 30' to arrive but then it was cold. Promptly we sent it back and asked to have a different waiter, the 2nd was much better but at some stage all appeared to have gone on a breack and there was no one around.

Also, the place is just incredibly busy that it's difficult to find it a relaxing place. The rooms on the whole were very good although the decor is a bit dated. Don't be misled by the video on the website, it's only the most exclusive suits which have yet had the refurbishment. Although the batrooms are very nice and spacious. The minibar was also well stocked although it's beyond me why they cannot provide a kettle and tea/coffee facilities.

We tried most of the restaurants in the hotel and the bar. The food is good without being spectacular (only the bill is), but the cocktails are excellent. I recommend trying the bar of China Tang which does superb Lychee Martinis.

Overall, if I have the choice I won't stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mitch B
PromenadeDorchester, Director of Food and Beverage at The Dorchester, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Dear Mitch B,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay at The Dorchester. I am very concerned to read that your stay did not live up to your expectations and I would very much like to discuss your experience further if you could kindly contact me directly at the hotel.
Kind regards, Stephane Lafon, Director of Food and Beverage, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2013

This is a follow up to an earlier review just to say I've not found better service or facilities anywhere else and will not stay in any other establishments if there is a Dorchester Collection hotel available.

Staying in other 5* hotels only goes to show how much better the Dorchester is in every way.

Room Tip: Ask for a walk in shower if that's important to you, not all rooms have them!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
PromenadeDorchester, Director of Food and Beverage at The Dorchester, responded to this review, 4 April 2013
Dear Jonathan S,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a kind comment on The Dorchester. It is a pleasure to read how highly you value all the hotels within Dorchester Collection and how much you enjoy the service and the facilities. I will share your comments with the team involved and I look forward to your next visit.
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed 29 March 2013

I had been very happy with my five or six prior stays at the Dorchester. My single rooms have always been beautifully appointed, the business center is more than well equipped and the bar and breakfast areas are stunning. But the hotel staff was the star this month when I arrived in London without the one medicine I needed for a three week stay in Europe. After an unsuccessful consultation with a London pharmacy, I explained my problem to the Dorchester Concierge. Within the hour, the hotels' Doctor had scheduled a consultation. After he confirmed my medical problem, he prescribed the medication I had left across the pond and ordered it delivered to the hotel before the afternoon was over. And the cost was less than a visit to a Florida "Doc in a Box". My trip went on, thanks to the Dorchester staff.

Room Tip: Watch the weekend specials on single rooms several months in advance.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank hawkeyeboomer
PromenadeDorchester, Director of Food and Beverage at The Dorchester, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Dear Hawkeyeboomer,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a kind review of your most recent stay at The Dorchester. I am delighted to read how much you always enjoy your visits including the room, business centre and the dining areas. I am very pleased to read that on this occasion our concierge was able to help with your medication and I will share your kind comments with all involved. I look forward to welcoming you on your next stay.
Montrose, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2013

This iconic London establishment is truely one of the great hotels of the World. You get what you pay for was never more true - and at The Dorchester, it's done with style. The attention to detail is quite outstanding and quality is unquestionable.

We had an amazing weekend - the highlight being an awards dinner - where the food on service were quite exceptional.

The rooms too are beautifully appointed - we had a recently refurbished room and were very impressed even though there was no view.

A word of warning - take care in the bar - ones bar tab can soon mount up without much effort.

Room Tip: The recently refurbished rooms are exquisite
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
PromenadeDorchester, Director of Food and Beverage at The Dorchester, responded to this review, 26 March 2013
Dear Protraveller5_11,
Many thanks for taking the time out to leave such kind comments on your recent stay at The Dorchester. I am delighted to read how much you enjoy staying with us and that your highlight was your dining experience and service. I will share your comments with the team involved and I look forward to welcoming you here on your next visit.
Worldwide
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Maybe it's just me, but, some of the worlds great hotels seem to have a certain air about them, sort of "are you sure you should be here"?

Well that's not The Dorchester.

It's every bit as grand and luxurious as you imagine / expect, yet from the chauffeurs to pick you up, the doormen, concierge, reception staff (offering to escort to the room) through all other staff I saw in my 24 hour stay, everybody genuinely seemed happy to be working there and for you to be their guest.

Every company is only as good as its employees and this is one great hotel.

Great Dorchester English breakfast in The Grill also....

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank lee_the_traveller
PromenadeDorchester, Director of Food and Beverage at The Dorchester, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
Dear lee_the_traveller,
I am delighted to read your kind comments on your recent visit to The Dorchester and to read how highly you valued the service. It will be a pleasure to share your feedback with the team here and I look forward to welcoming you on your next visit here.
Reviewed 23 March 2013 via mobile

This hotel is superb! The service is outstanding and the whole package from room service breakfast to cocktails in the excellent bar, with celebrities, is just magnificent!
I would recommend this to everyone for at least a once in a lifetime experience.
I can't wait to return again. Both my wife and I loved every second!

• Stayed March 2013
Dear B11boss,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave a kind review of your recent stay at The Dorchester. It is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed the whole experience including breakfast and cocktails in the bar. I look forward to welcoming you and your wife here again on your next visit.
Richmond, Va.
Reviewed 20 March 2013

My last hotel review was of a Super 8 Motel in North Carolina, so take this review as you see fit. The Dorchester is at the opposite end of the spectrum -- from redneck to red carpet. We stayed there for one night in late November 2012, and it was fantastic. We were given a small suite, I think. It was a large room with a sitting area, and a bathroom to die for, all marble, glass and chrome. See photos.

A welcome plate of fruit was delivered to us shortly after we got to our room. The windows opened a bit, which was nice for some fresh air, if not necessarily energy efficient, as the weather was cold, gloomy and damp.

We spent little time exploring the hotel. Yet the brief experience I had there was divine. We had dinner at the hotel, a large group event in one of the meeting rooms, cocktails first, then food. It was good and fun and festive, but not especially memorable.

Two comments: a lamp beside the bed was short-circuiting each time I turned it on. We called the front desk and an electrician arrived shortly afterwards. He changed the light bulb and thought that had taken care of the problem, but as he turned and walked away, it went out again. So he immediately unplugged the lamp, took it with him,and brought us another one right away. No real problem for us, just a glitch, maybe no one had turned on that lamp recently. We had great service throughout our stay.

Secondly, my husband stayed at The Dorchester, again for one night, in mid-December 2012. I'd gone home to the US, he was at the end of a multi-continent tour. He said that his room on the return leg was nothing like our luxurious digs three weeks earlier, just a small space without many special touches. So the moral is that not all first experiences repeat themselves.

Still, I'd go for it -- live in the lap of luxury.

And as a P.S., after checking in early in the day, we went to explore and found The Athenaeum Hotel nearby, which serves a delicious -- and deliciously expensive -- cream tea. Pure pampering. Put that on your to-do list, also.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
John S, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
Dear rrsrichmond,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with your husband and then his later return visit at The Dorchester. I am delighted to read how much you and your husband enjoyed the whole experience including the suite you stayed in, the dining experience and the service. I was sorry to read about the lamp, though you are right, these things do happen from time to time. I am more concerned that your husband’s return experience was not like the first visit and I can assure you that this is a key focus for the hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Dorchester on a return visit to the UK and please contact me directly to make the arrangements for you.
Kind regards, John Scanlon, Hotel Manager, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection