“Superb Hotel”
Review of The Dorchester

The Dorchester
Ranked #49 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We stayed again at the Dorchester on Saturday, 28th September; my wife claimed that she was in need of a dose of retail therapy!

I can only describe how we were treated by the staff as quite outstanding. We arrived early and were taken down to the bar for a drink. The staff at reception and all of the bar staff really looked as if they were enjoying their jobs and that we were the most important people in the hotel.

I know that one should expect excellent customer service from a quality hotel but this was on another level. Our room was extremely good, very clean and comfortable with a full range of TV channels which is unusual these days.

Our only disappointment was that we were, once again, unable to book into either of the 2 great restaurants in the hotel. I will clearly have to plan much further in advance!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Dear Philip K,
It is my pleasure to read how much you and your wife enjoyed your recent stay at The Dorchester and thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am delighted to read how much you both enjoyed your room and how highly you valued the service during your visit. I look forward to welcoming you both back in the not too distant future and please don’t hesitate to contact Stephan Lafon, Director of food and beverage who will be happy to assist with any restaurant bookings you might require.
Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager and Regional Director – UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

There are newer reviews for The Dorchester

Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

Having stayed here many a time, I feel it only right to say how fabulous The Dorchester makes you feel. It really turns a weekend in London, into an amazing weekend in London.
We booked a family time weekend break (two rooms for the price of one) to do some Christmas shopping with the kids. The free sweet shop won the kids over.
From the start you have no worries. Drive up to the door, let the doormen park your car (reasonable rates for Central London), if you need the congestion charge paid they will sort that out too!
The whole atmosphere is relaxing and almost makes you forget you are in the hussle and bustle of London. The rooms are lovely and are some of the only hotel rooms I have been to that are a pleasure to just sit in and relax.
The breakfast if perfect, you can have exactly what you want, how could you criticise that!?
We love it there, so much that we are on our way back at the end of October.

• Stayed: December 2012

Dear Steve B,
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a kind review of your experience staying at The Dorchester. I am delighted that you chose to celebrate Christmas with us as a family and how much you enjoyed the experience including the sweet shop in the lobby as well as the rooms, dining and atmosphere. I will share your comments with the team here and I look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit at the end of October.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

After all the glowing reviews for its main hotel service I was interested to see how The Dorchester handled conference events. We were in The Ballroom, which has its own entrance on Park Lane so not disturbing the hotel guests, and on entering you are welcomed by the opulent décor and general wow factor.
Breakfast consisted of a wide range of coffees, teas and juices (including what I took to be one of those green healthy concoctions) served with style by the hotel staff, with a lovely selection of pastries, muffins and other healthy nibbles.
The Ballroom provides an airy and attractive area for a conference and was well air conditioned. The morning break saw the same wide range of drinks being served with giant pretzels, and the buffet lunch provided an excellent and tasty range of dishes including marinated chicken breast, fish in black bean sauce and king prawns in a sticky glaze. The desserts were equality stylish and tasty.
In the current economic climate, and mass of conference / meeting venues on offer, I should imagine that The Dorchester are highly competitive if you are looking for a venue that will really look after and impress your delegates. 10 / 10 for the whole experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Dear Simon W,
It is my pleasure to read the kind review of your experience at The Dorchester for your recent conference. I am delighted to read how highly you valued the experience including the catering and the service and décor. I will share your comments with the team here and I hope to be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

This is an excellent hotel alround. The rooms are very comfortable, the staff very efficient and friendly, but the drinks, laundry, etc are unreasonably priced. However, I would go there again anyway. It is that good!

• Stayed: September 2013
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Dear Amyn A,
It is my pleasure to read your kind review of The Dorchester and how much you enjoyed the experience including the service and the room you stayed in. I will share your comments regarding pricing with the team here and I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager & Regional Director – UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

Reviewed 24 September 2013

I used to stay here regularly with my father when I was a child, and even as a young lad I could appreciate the perfection of this wonderful hotel. I was lucky enough to dine there recently as I was passing through, and it's just as spectacular as it ever was. I only wish there were words that could describe how perfect this hotel is, but none would do it justice.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Dear miaminumberone,
Thank you for your kind review of The Dorchester and I am delighted to read that you have very fond memories of visiting as a child and how highly you still value the experience. I am delighted you enjoyed your most recent visit and I very much look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

This is a lovely old hotel. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Our room and the corridors were old and tired but nothing that a bit of decorating wouldn't fix. I was shocked at our bill when we checked out. Over $4,000 for two nights which was much more than the quoted rate. I was told it was because of the 20% vat tax that was not included in the advertised rate.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jeanne456
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Dear jeanne456,
Thank you for taking time to leave a review of your recent stay at The Dorchester. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay however I am concerned about the issues you encountered with your billing. It is our policy to include VAT at 20% on all our online prices and I would very much like to have the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Could I please ask that you make contact with Mr John Scanlon my Hotel Manager directly.

We ate here yesterday.

Wow.

Champagne, salmon, fillet steak, dessert and fine wines and liquers recommended by the sommelier.

It was the best food I have eaten in England.

Period.

Its worth every penny. You wont regret it. Well worth a splash if you have the chance.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank boz1234

Dear Boz1234,
Thank you for your very kind review of your dining experience at The Dorchester yesterday. I am delighted to read how highly you appreciated the salmon, fillet steak and wines and it is an honour to hear you felt this is the best food you have eaten in England. I will be sure to share your kind comments with the team here and I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.