“#1 FOR SERVICE”
Review of The Dorchester

The Dorchester
Ranked #54 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I do believe that this is the best city hotel in the world The owner has unlimited money and uses it to make perfection There is more staff in this hotel than anywhere else The lobby the rooms are in perfect condition, never a scratch, never a tear Your robes are changed twice a day The people who work there are very friendly and warm whether you are a movie star or just an ordinary hotel guest I have stayed here 4 times this year alone and I never can find fault I have stayed at all the other London top hotels and they pale in comparison to this one

Room Tip: Ask for Park facing rooms
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Summ11,
Thank you for taking the time out to leave feedback on your recent stay at The Dorchester and I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed the experience especially the service from our team. I will share your kind comments with everyone in the hotel and I very much look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager & Regional Director –UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

Write a ReviewReviews (1,630)

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Having stayed for 4 nights at The Dorchester around the same time as Cr4igdonovan, I would agree with the observations made by him regarding the patchy service at breakfast. Fortunately for us, Pierre, the Promenade manager was on hand to put things right.
My other observation would be that in the afternoon and early evening, there is no comfortable seating available in the public areas, as it reserved for people having afternoon tea. As a guest of the hotel I find this disappointing and being a lady of a certain age, I have no desire to perch on a bar stool, sit on bench seating in the bar or worse, sit in a draughty foyer.
Despite this, the hotel was fabulous and I loved my stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Salva66,
I thank you for your review on your stay with us and for your feedback on the service at breakfast. I will share your concerns with the team in The Promenade and pass your compliments on to Pierre. However, I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

We spent 1 night here when checked in the man in check in could not do enough for us bags to room he showed us around the room which was specious had coffee in the promenade had a drink in the bar which was expensive but not bad for a 5 star hotel the bed was excellent , breakfast was great , cannot fault the hotel or restaurant and staff thanks for the expereince

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Gary B,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your most recent experience staying at The Dorchester. I am pleased you were able to enjoy a drink in the bar, coffee in The Promenade and how much you appreciated the service and the room you stayed in. I very much hope to be able to welcome you back to The Dorchester in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Dorchester for a few days away from our busy work lives. On arrival we were greeted by very friendly staff and were shown to our room. Our room was of great size and decorated exceptionally! The solid marble bathroom was fantastic and the bath was the deepest I have ever seen. Once settled and unpacked we went to the bar for a few drinks before heading out into Mayfair. We expected the high pricing for the drinks, however the unnecessary service charges seemed a little unnecessary, especially as we sat at the bar and had to keep reminding the bar staff of our drink choices. The breakfast the next morning was delicious, however the service was again disappointing. The waitress, kept forgetting our orders and asked again 4 times. When it did arrive my wife's breakfast was wrong and I then had to wait a further 5 mins for hers to be replaced. Whilst waiting my breakfast was going cold.

Anyway we ignored this as not to ruin our experience of our break and headed out to London.

The next day breakfast again the service was disappointing, again, this time a different waitress again kept asking our orders and forgot to ask what we wanted to drink, again food was good but this level of service was not what we expected. Please remember this breakfast for each morning costs £32 per person, so for £70 each morning including the service charge i would have expected the experience to be of a far higher standard.

Other points we found disappointing was our room had no facility within the room to make our own hot drinks. - I am unsure why this is not included?

Also on two occasions. We had to remind the house keeping staff to make up our room?

Overall as per my title, our stay was good, however the price it costs for this experience, we were surprised how very average the overall service was service was. It felt like just because we were not famous and jumping up and down and complaining we were given an average service rather than that we were paying for.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Cr4igdonovan
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear Cr4igdonovan,
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent experience at The Dorchester. I am very concerned to read that the service did not live up to your expectations and that you felt let down by the experience. I would, therefore, like to discuss your disappointment in greater detail and would ask that you kindly contact my hotel manager, John Scanlon, directly.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

I visited an embassy reception at The Dorchester and also had drinks in the bar. Every detail was well thought-out and of the best quality. Beautiful surroundings, excellent staff and wonderful food. Would return to stay or for an afternoon tea.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear tjh2,
Thank you for your kind review of your most recent visit to The Dorchester. I am pleased to read how much you enjoyed the experience including drinks in the bar, the atmosphere, surroundings and the food. I will share your comments with the rest of the team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

Booked for our 10th wedding anniversary, staff not very professional, presented with a happy birthday cake instead of anniversary cake. Room good, breakfast average and did not get what was ordered. It's ticked off the bucket list and a big cost and certainly did not live up to expectations.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yorkie1919
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Stayed here for a weekend break, excellent location for shopping, sightseeing and if you wanted to get away from it all, Hyde Park is just across the road. Upon arrival we were told that our room was not ready. Check in was 15.00 hrs, we arrived at 16.30 hrs ? We were told that our room would be ready in 15 minutes. We were meeting freinds for pre-dinner drinks at 18.00 hrs so we had to get a move on, anyway at 17.00 hrs we stepped up to the reception desk to ask if our room was ready only to be told it would be another 15 minutes. I had to check if we were in the correct Hotel, this was not what I expected to hear at the Dorchester.
After explaining to the receptionist our arrangements she reluctantly found another room which to be fair was upgraded from what was booked. The room was very comfortable and spacious, marble bathroom complete with one of the deepest baths I have ever seen.
Once the room situation was sorted out we had a great evening, the bar is a realy chic place to be and be seen, we even came back for a night cap.
We had breakfast in the promenade which had a very relaxed atmosphere and exceptional service.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear Stormchaser40,
I thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay at The Dorchester. I am sorry to learn that your room was not ready and I do apologise for this however I am pleased that we were able to resolve the issue to your satisfaction and that you were able to enjoy your time with us. I am delighted you enjoyed drinks in the bar and how much you appreciated your breakfast in The Promenade. I certainly hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Dorchester in the not too distant future.
Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager and Regional Director –UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection