“Best hotel service in London”
Review of The Dorchester

The Dorchester
Ranked #52 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 12 December 2013

This is by far the best luxury hotel in London. Stayed for a few nights and every part of it was amazing. From the check in to the room, food, service, spa and the most hospitable staff. Will return soon. You will find you don't want to leave.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Garry W
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Dear Garry W,
I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed your recent stay at The Dorchester. I am pleased to read that you were able to enjoy many of your facilities including the spa and restaurants and I very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager & Regional Director –UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

Reviewed 10 December 2013

I stayed here for a week for a business trip and I was not impressed. It is very over the top with most of the decor and really needs an update. The room was small, smaller than some similar hotels in the area. It's also a bit of a walk to the green park tube station and the main area of Mayfair. For the price, I think you can certainly find a place that's nicer.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank JillianNP

Dear JillianNP,
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay at The Dorchester. I am very sorry to read that the experience did not live up to your expectations and that you felt the decor was a little tired. I can confirm that we are in the process of renovating all our suites and bedrooms and I would very much like to discuss your comments further. If you would be kind enough to make contact with my Hotel Manager, John Scanlon directly he will be interested to learn more of your experience. I do however hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to stay in one of our newly refurbished guestrooms in the near future.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

I have travelled a lot over the last few years and stayed in some beautiful hotels around the world.I was at last looking forward to staying at the Dorchester hotel, somewhere I had always wanted to stay as it is one of the hotels that stand out worldwide.

The hotel is perfectly situated in the centre of Park Lane right next to the park and the winter wonderland that was on. I was so looking forward to my stay. As I arrived at the hotel in a black cab I was impressed with the look of the hotel infact, it looked perfect. Unfortunately, the car park area was full of very expensive cars with their occupants revving their engines, which took the gloss off my first impressions, but I later found out that this is the sort of people the hotel attracts and they have no consideration to other people (all money and no class, as my mother would say!)

The reception staff were all very helpful but at times I thought over helpful. Despite being 50+ I have not lost my ability to do some things for myself!

The room was fantastic and the bathroom was fabulous , the bed was very comfortable and the linen was fantastic. I was amazed that the room had no tea making facilities there was no trouser press , no fruit and no water as these things are standard in a lot of other hotels in which I stay and they cost substantially less than the room rate at this hotel which is breathtakingly expensive by anyone's standards.

The promenade restaurant is very strange and you feel like you are eating in a corridor and the chairs are low so makes eating difficult, the food on the other hand was very good.

I had to move to north London after the Dorchester and stay in a Hilton hotel. I found the quality of the service and level of amenities in the hilton far better than the Dorchester.

The Dorchester hotel should be the best hotel in the land but I feel they have lost the plot a bit , the staff need to be more individual as it sometimes comes across as fake and over helpful .
I am pleased to have had the experience but at these prices for the service I will not be going back .

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Simet123

Dear Simet123,
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your most recent stay at The Dorchester. I am concerned to read that the experience did not live up to your expectations and I would very much like to gain further information about your experience. Could I please ask that you kindly make contact with John Scanlon, my Hotel Manager directly and he will be interested to learn more of your disappointment.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

Returned to the Dorchester after many years to find the hotel completely refurbished & updated for new technology. Staff was almost perfect in every way. A few minor hiccups in service in The Grill & The Promenade but something that probably would go unnoticed elsewhere. Room was very comfortable, as was the bath. Always loved the deep soaking tubs.
Where you used to have to press a button for the maid, valet, etc. everything is now incorporated into the phone system. TV remote controls the lights in the room, etc. Housekeeping was always done promptly twice a day. I find that even in a lot of five star hotels, you have to call housekeeping to remind them to do turndown service (as if you weren't going to need towels, etc. in the morning). I defected to Claridges for a few years but will probably return to the Dorchester next time.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear LLB4,
It is my pleasure to read your kind review of your most recent visit to The Dorchester and how much you enjoyed the experience. I am delighted that you appreciated our recent refurbishments, especially the bathrooms and how highly you considered the service from our team here, with particular mention to housekeeping. I very much look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to The Dorchester.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

This was my first visit to the iconic Dorchester. I had an executive room for 2 nights for work. Check in was okay but the sweet Irish clerk was so anxious that he asked me most questions more than once. Endlessly asking how my day was, my journey was, I was (etc) just isn't required. I expect he was just following his training.....but there in lies the problem with the Dorchester....more of that shortly, dear reader.

My room was fine. It was at the back on a high floor but still noisy. The bathroom was awesome but the rest of the amenities no better than Sofitel or Mercure. In fact, given the extraordinary price of the room, I was disappointed with the lack of mineral water, fruit, a tea tray, a trouser press and so on. There was, of course, a massive 'mini bar' (poor English, sorry) containing everything you can imagine. On day 2, the room wasn't properly serviced.

I had dinner and drinks at the bar. The Promenade bar is disappointing. The furniture is cheap, faux antique junk shop stuff and battered. The prices are typical of central London and the staff (with exception of Caesar) patronising (again, endless but false and insincere questions about my 'day'). Caesar obviously skipped the training and is natural and has an intact personality! Thank Goodness!

Food in the restaurant was average.

Breakfast was a disaster in the Promenade. Again, endless insincere questions about my sleep patterns (!) and VERY slow service. One French staff member had obviously been on the training course about advising customers where to visit in London! Given that I lived in London for 30 years I was keen to hear his recommendations.....it was priceless....."there's not much to do in London on a Saturday (sic) so I'd recommend Portobello Market". No comment.

There is a very small gym, which I used but its only just adequate.

This hotel really is living on its' reputation. They need some local staff who can welcome staff properly to London. They need to radically review their training and 'ditch' their training by rote.

I wouldn't stay here again and don't recommend it - especially for the price.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank francophileonthemove
Reviewed 3 December 2013

As always, we had a great time at The Dorchester! This hotel has got it SO right! From the moment you arrive you are treated like you are the most important person in the building, nothing is too much trouble. We stayed for just one night as we were attending a luncheon event the next day, tried to stay for two nights but unfortunately the hotel was full. On arrival, we were greated by Gloria at reception, a more helpful, pleasant and accommodating young lady would be hard to find. We were offered an upgrade from a Deluxe room which we had booked, to a newly refurbished Junior suite which we were delighted to accept, meant waiting about 30 minutes but a glass of bubbly in the bar whilst waiting soon made the time pass swiftly. I asked also for a late checkout on the Monday which Gloria readily agreed for us. On entering 'The Promenade' we were faced with a huge 'Gingerbread house' made as a replica of the Hotel itself, it was magnificent! Also, the sounds of carol singers serenading the afternoon tea customers was heard in the distance which really set the scene for Christmas. When we arrived in our room, our luggage was alread in situ, the room was lovely with an enormous bathroom, only negative was that it was at the back of the hotel overlooking some appartments and not with a 'park' view that I always ask for, had we been staying for more than one night I would have asked to have been moved. We had cockatails and dinner in the Hotel that evening, dinner being in the Grill Room which was excellent and better than I can remember. All in all a wonderful stay in this beautiful hotel, thank you to all the staff which make The Dorchester such a VERY special place to stay in London.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Hyde Park on a high floor if possible
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Dear Keith C,
It is my pleasure to read your wonderful review of your recent visit to The Dorchester and I am delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy dining in The Grill and cocktails in the bar during your stay and also how highly you appreciated our festive decorations including our gingerbread hotel. I will be sure to share your comments with Gloria and the team here and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Dorchester in the very near future.
Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager and Regional Director –UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Attended an awards ceremony here in "The Ballroom". It has been some time since i last visited and i pleased to report that all aspects of the hotel have maintained the same immaculate level of excellence. In every respect, food, service, staff attitude and knowledge, ambiance, cleanliness, i could go on, you will not find a better establishment in London.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Colin S,
I thank you for taking the time to leave such wonderful feedback on your recent visit to The Dorchester. I am delighted to read how highly you valued the service from our teams, as well as the food and the ambience at the awards ceremony. I will be sure to share your feedback with everyone here and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Dorchester in the very near future.