“Wonderful memories”
Review of The Dorchester

The Dorchester
Ranked #54 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 20 January 2014

It was my 60th birthday on Sunday and I am delighted that we stayed again at the fabulous Dorchester. We've stayed at the hotel at least once a year since my 50th, and it has never ever disappointed. The staff are all lovely and helpful and nothing is too much trouble. At this hotel it doesn't matter who you are all guests get the five star treatment We can not wait to return in December......

Room Tip: Always worth checking the offers on The Dorchester site.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,619)

Reviewed 20 January 2014

I'm regular guest at The Dorchester and I always enjoy staying there. The food, service, ambiance, staff and facilities are excellent. The only comment that I always mention that they should make the high speed WiFi internet connection free of charge for all guests and visitors at the hotel. I know that there is a free 512 Kbps connection! But better to not provide a free connection than providing such slow internet to the guests!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank majedk
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear majedk,
I thank you for your kind comments on your experiences staying at The Dorchester. I am delighted to read how much you enjoy visiting and how highly you value the service from our team, the ambiance and atmosphere and the food and facilities. All guest feedback is of utmost importance and I will take on board your comments regarding the WiFi speed. I look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit.
Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager & Regional Director –UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

Reviewed 16 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my husband during a weekend. We were very warmly welcomed and upgraded to a junior suite. Staff was very friendly and helped us during our entire stay (especially the concierge). Our room and bathroom were impressive, beds were extremely comfortable. We were a bit apprehensive as we already had booked the hotel when friends told us it was more appropriate for business stay. However, we were very delighted and enjoyed being in the center of Park Lane. We strongly recommend this hotel even for a romantic weekend.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Philippe D
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Dear Phillipe D,
I thank you for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review of your recent stay at The Dorchester. I am delighted to read your kind comments on the service from the team here and that you appreciated the upgrade to a junior suite. I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

My friend and myself visited the Dorchester when my friend booked a room for my birthday.
The service was fantastic, every member of staff was polite and would always chat with us.
We had afternoon tea and it was lovely. The promenade is beautiful and the pianist made it even more enjoyable. The sandwiches and cakes were spectacular and our waitress was brilliant (think her name was Leila?)
Our room was stunning also, shame we didn't have a view of the park however we didn't spend much time in the room to notice.
The location of the hotel is convenient and the staff make you feel very safe and welcome.
I will highly recommend the Dorchester to all of my friends.
Thankyou :-)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Curtis93
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear Curtis93,
I am delighted to read your kind feedback on your recent visit to The Dorchester and how much you enjoyed all aspects of your stay including your afternoon tea in The Promenade. It is my pleasure to know how highly you appreciated the pianist, the décor and service during your tea and I will be sure to share your feedback with Leila and the team. I very much hope I will have the opportunity of welcoming you back some time soon.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

From the moment we arrived to a lovely welcome from all the gentlemen on the door who looked after our car we knew we had made the right choice. Nothing is too much trouble. We checked in at 10.30am no problem at all. We were then whisked up to our room where our bags arrived within minutes then an order for coffee was made which too arrived very quickly. It was our daughters 15th birthday and a cake with candles was in the room when we came back at tea time, not only that, a plate of hand made chocolates and biscuits and fruit too had been left for us to enjoy. The only thing that was a shame, was that the excellent sound system in the room did not have a good enough signal for the radio to work. Nor could we find a price list for the mini bar, but then I'm not sure there are many people who stay here and worry about prices!? It would have been lovely to have a view of the park but I had asked for a quiet room so maybe that is why we weren't overlooking Park Lane? The room was lovely all the same.

The staff here really know their job and you will be made to feel special at every possible moment.
Breakfast was lovely and our daughter was made to feel like a Princess. The staff all remember you and will take care to ask all the right questions to make your stay as comfortable as possible. We will definitely be visiting again, for longer next time, I hope. Thank you to all the lovely staff.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear Arran M,
I thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent visit to The Dorchester. It is my pleasure to read how much you enjoyed the experience from the moment you arrived. I am pleased to read that your daughter enjoyed her birthday cake and celebrations and how much you all enjoyed the service from our team. I will share your comments with everyone here and I look forward to welcoming you in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed at the Dorchester for a 2 night week-end break from January 10th to the 12th January 2014. We had travelled with 2 friends and booked the two rooms at the same time.

There was just one or two incidents that stopped my review being 5 star which is a pity because generally this is an excellent hotel.

We were received courteously and effectively by the excellent doormen and the luggage was quickly removed from the car and the car parked for us - we opted for valet parking which makes life very easy.

Because their web-site doesn't easily allow the booking of two room (or at least I couldn't see how to do it) I had to make two separate bookings. This caused the first minor embarrassment when checking in. I checked in first with my friends booking in just after. I presented all the confirmation documents so the reception knew we were together - they upgraded our friends and realised as soon as they did it that this was probably a bit of a mistake. After quite a long period of time they managed to also upgrade our room. To be honest this incident was quite funny but the web-site should allow group bookings and / or the reception should spot the obvious and either upgrade the whole party or none of the party.

We were then left to find the rooms ourselves and waited a few minutes for the cases to find us?

The rooms were excellent, large and spotlessly clean. The furniture was of very good quality and the bed large and very comfortable - good night sleep guaranteed. The TV was of very high quality (Bang and Olufsen) with many free satellite channels. The bathroom was extremely large with and well furnished with marble and high quality fittings. In short the room could not be faulted - Ok, I hate those reviews that try and pick fault with absolutely everything but there was just one tiny little thing where I thought I was being pedantic about and wasn't going to mention until totally unprompted my friend joked over breakfast that you would think a 5 star hotel would have a toilet roll holder that fitted toilet rolls - they weren't wide enough so every time you used them they dropped on the floor - so I have done just that kind of review!

All of the communal areas, corridors, bars etc. were totally in keeping of a top class hotel.

We had the full English breakfast, which was served in 'The Grill' restaurant. The food was superb and the service exemplary - the room itself is a little tired now and perhaps in need of a refurb.

We had dinner in Alain Ducasse which I have reviewed separately.

Now on to the incident that stopped a the 5 star review. When I checked out the invoice given to me quoted a price higher than what I booked - I queried this and was told that the on-line price excluded VAT. I have to admit I was a little slow here and failed to work out that the figures didn't work out. When I got home I checked the price on my confirmation invoice and the price included VAT and was £30 / night cheaper per room. So they had overcharged us £120 in total fro the two rooms. This really is unacceptable and whilst they have told me that they have corrected this I feel they have spoiled the experience. A 5 star hotel should not make this kind of mistake. There has been no offer of compensation just a straight refund - pity.

I may stop at the Dorchester again but at the moment I would probably recommend the Savoy, Langham, Berkeley or Claridges as better options.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear andrewhay,
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent visit to The Dorchester. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay including breakfast in The Grill. However, I am sorry to read that your experience did not live up to your full expectations. All guest feedback is of utmost importance and I do hope I will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

The Promenade

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Our weekend at the Dorchester was generally very good however breakfast on the Saturday was very disorganised and took well over 90minutes with a number of errors in service.Some of this was due to the volume however the hotel seemed to be taking custom from non residents which was rather annoying when residents should have had priority. Sunday breakfast was perfect.

We had a few small points of concern nothing major however I might have expected better from the Dorchester. I was however impressed with the receptionist who had made an error on the morning paper, however she made sure that she made contact and apologised personally.
On the Sunday the wrong paper was delivered.

The Bar staff in the main area were great and very accommodating with all their customers.

Room Tip: Most rooms are large just check you are being allocated a newly refurbished room
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John P
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear John P,
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent visit to The Dorchester. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the overall experience however I am sorry to read there were a few issues that did not meet your expectations. I do nevertheless hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the not too distant future at which time we will ensure all your expectations are indeed taken care of.