“Top Notch, as you would expect” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Dorchester

The Dorchester
Ranked #43 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Top Notch, as you would expect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Knew we would have a fantastic stay here and no disappointments whatsoever. The concierge was extremely helpful and we received a room upgrade which was unexpected. Goodies in our room, free of charge too. Didnt eat in the restaurants this time but did go to the bar for a few cocktails at the end of the night. Have to say, the bar is o.k. but could be better in terms of ambience. Will definitely return here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

We started off our 7 night European adventure with 2 nights at The Dorchester, which set the bar incredibly high for the hotels that we stayed in for the balance of the trip. Our experience was outstanding. The service from the hotel staff was unparalleled. Our room was spacious, and beautiful. We had breakfast included in our room rate, and it was delightful both mornings. The location next to Hyde Park, and walking distance to Buckingham Palace, etc. was perfect for us. The concierge arranged tickets to the London Eye for us, suggested other tours, and found a great pub for us to have dinner one night when we wanted to eat some casual food. Our 5 year old son was treated like a King at the hotel, and welcomed with a box full of activities and gifts that he was so excited to receive. Honestly, I can't say a negative word about our experience at the hotel. We will most certainly stay here each and every next visit to London. Totally worth the cost.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CanAmTraveler
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear CanAm traveller,
It is with great pleasure that I read about your recent stay and I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed your time with us. It sounds like you truly enjoyed The Dorchester experience and made the most of our favourable location and facilities, which gives me great pleasure. I will make sure to share your kind comments with the rest of the team here and I look forward to welcoming you again soon! Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager and Regional Director – UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

To be honest, I'm normally a Ritz man, and had only ever once stayed at the Dorchester. But last week we elected to spend three nights there......and in all fairness, it's virtually at the same level as the Ritz. The two experiences are completely different, as the Ritz is VERY old world, and in all honesty, a bit stuffy, while the Dorchester, despite being indisputably opulent, manages to convey quite a casual feel.....no ties required in the lobby, for example....or even jackets (in fact, it almost appears that anything goes in the lobby area, as I saw everything from dark suits to extremely casual clothes).

The rooms (we had two, with one for the kids), are fairly plush...though my wife felt obliged to opine that they "looked like old lady's rooms", no doubt in reference to the no doubt-intentionally classic decor. Having said that, I can't imagine anyone being unhappy with the rooms, and the common areas are fantastic. I commented to my wife that the hallways reminded me of the Beverly Hills Hotel, which I love. Sure enough it turns out that they are part of the same exclusive group.....so a bit of design crossover, apparently.

We tried China Tang, the Chinese restaurant in the basement. 'Very good (if not spectacular) food, in a gorgeous room (at about double to treble the price of your local Chinese....but the room and location explain that). 'Well worth a visit. Room service is of course over-the-top expensive, but also quite good.

The ONLY weak point, and it wasn't nearly enough to put me off giving the full 5 star rating, was the breakfast service in the gorgeous Promenade area. It's one of the prettiest hotel common areas I've seen....and a wonderful place to have a meal. The service, to be a bit picky, was slightly spotty. We had breakfast two days on the spin, and both days our first request for a high chair for the baby required a follow-up request. One day our table had a basket of various breads/pastries put on the table with breakfast......the next day, despite the same orders, no basket. A supplement of smoked salmon brought out.........smoked salmon. No bread, creme fraiche....no accompaniments at all...not even a lemon. We had some toast on the table, and used that, as our waiter was hard to find and it wasn't worth a fuss.

One morning my son had a pancake, and it came with a lot of nice berries arranged on top. The next day......'the same order....but out came a plain, unadorned pancake (much to his disappointment). Again....a very minor gripe, but I'd have expected some standard quality control on these sort of things.

In a hotel of this quality, my guess is that we were just a bit unlucky and met with a couple of unusual (and admittedly relatively insignificant) shortfalls. And it's perhaps a sign of how good this hotel is that I can't find anything else to grouse about:-)

Anyway, I very highly recommend the Dorchester, and will no doubt be back.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Johnb8
Dear Johnb8,
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review of your most recent visit to The Dorchester. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay and your overall experience was to your satisfaction. However, I am deeply sorry for the inconvenience you and your family experienced during breakfast and I thank you for bringing it to our attention. I would very much like to discuss this further with you, if you could kindly contact John Scanlon, Hotel Manager, directly at the hotel. Once again, thank you for your kind comments and I truly hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon! Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager and Regional Director UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection
Portland, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

I'm so glad I selected this hotel for my most recent stay in London. From the moment we arrived, the experience was five star. The front desk manager asked if we were in town for business or leisure, and after informing him we were on a romantic getaway he swiftly sent a bottle of champagne to our suite.

We stayed in one of the Park Suites, overlooking Hyde Park. Absolutely gorgeous, inside and out. The wood paneling in the sitting area was warm and chic, and the TWO bathrooms were well stocked and rather luxurious.

The bed was perfection, and we slept like the dead after each day and nights' adventures. We enjoyed room service breakfasts, which were served in our suite's dining area. There was a proper space for everything, and we used each.

I also used the spa and, once again, had a marvelous experience! I had a 90-minute facial with Valmont products (my favorite for facials!!) as well as a 60-minute massage.

From start to finish, our stay was perfect in every way. While most certainly a splurge, we felt it was money well spent. You simply can't beat the location, luxurious quarters and amenities. Did I mention the Alain Ducasse restaurant on-site? Separate review to follow. Heaven.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear wgsNYC,
It is with great pleasure that I read about your recent stay with us and I am delighted that you enjoyed The Dorchester experience. It's great to know that you liked every aspect of your stay...from the grounds, to the food offerings, to our great team and service provided. Please know that I will share your kind words with everyone here. In the meantime, we look forward to welcoming you again soon. Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager & Regional Director – UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection
Doha, Qatar
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

When you pay 850 quids for a night, you sort of expect the room to be ready when you check in at the 3pm advertized time. If the room is not ready, which might happen, you sort of expect not to be let to dry off on a chair without an offer for a complimentary glass of water or cup of coffee. The rest was ok, great yet smallish room with zero view contrarily to what I was led to believe, perfect service. As with so many such top notch 5**** hotels, if you only stay for a night, you're a 2nd class citizen compared to their uber-wealthy long-stay customers. Quid for quid, Holiday Inn is probably a better option.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank WoburnExpress
Dear WoburnExpress,
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to The Dorchester. It was with much regret and concern to learn of the disappointment we caused you and I would very much like to discuss this further, if you could kindly contact John Scanlon, Hotel Manager, at the hotel directly.
Birmingham, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Dorchester for three nights while on a trip through England and France. When Gloria discovered at check-in that we were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary, she upgraded us to an enormous and lovely Belgravia suite overlooking the park. We had fresh flowers and fruit delivered to our room each day, as well as a beautifully decorated chocolate cake. The public spaces are opulent but comfortable. Breakfasts, which were included in our room rate, were delicious and so extensive that we skipped lunch every day. The staff could not have been more helpful, friendly, and professional. The hotel's location enabled us to walk EVERYWHERE (parks, Piccadilly Circus, shopping on Bond Street, Covent Garden, South Bank). I highly recommend this hotel and can't wait to return.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Mllovetotravel2014,
Congratulations on your anniversary! I thank you for your very kind feedback on your recent visit to The Dorchester. I am delighted to see that your time with us was most enjoyable and left you with such beautiful memories. It will be my pleasure to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife and I regularly stay at the Dorchester and I'm glad to say that our recent stay confirmed the wisdom of this choice. You can take it as read that the standards of the facilities and rooms are exactly what you should expect from a prestige hotel. What is more worthy of comment is the outstanding quality of service which begins at the Check- in desk and doesn't stop until the door-men wave you off in a taxi at the end of the stay. Even although the Grill was closed for refurbishment, I'm glad to say that there was no noticeable noise or disruption as a result. Our meals and service in both Ducasse and China Tang were a notable highlight of our stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family