“Great hotel but the lobby lounge is a little gaudy”
Review of The Dorchester

The Dorchester
Ranked #36 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Arlington, Massachusetts
“Great hotel but the lobby lounge is a little gaudy”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The sleeping rooms are very nice, service is great, location is perfect for business travelers and tourists. I had a lot of business meetings in the Promenade and it was a bit too frilly and old English - not very modern. But many people love that about the Dorchester. The hotel restaurants are great and the event space on the first floor is excellent with an entrance right on the street level.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear mforae, Thank you for taking the time to review The Dorchester. It is a pleasure to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular the guestrooms, restaurants, location and most of all the service provided by our team. I also thank you for your feedback with regard to The Promenade. Your personal view on the decoration and ambience is most appreciated and respected. I will happily share your comments with the rest of team here and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager and Regional Director UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My husband and I have stayed at the Dorchester many times. I cannot seem to find fault with it. The staff is quietly competent and attentive. The high tea is quite an experience, particularly for people watching. The rooms are spacious and contain every amenity. The location is great; my husband and I walked all over London and always found our way back to the Dorchester with no problem. You can walk anywhere from this Park Lane location.

Room Tip: I would choose a room without a good view, because you get good value for your money.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lydia D
Dear Lydia D, Thank you for taking the time to write and let us know about your stay at The Dorchester. It sounds as though you truly enjoyed The Dorchester experience and made the most of our favourable location and facilities, which gives me great pleasure. I am also delighted to read that this was a return visit to The Dorchester and I look forward to welcoming you back on many future occasions. Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager and Regional Director UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection
Norwich england
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Having stayed at other Dorchester collection hotels before and used the bar and afternoon tea facilities several times it was high time that we stayed at this icon of the London hotel scene. The perfect excuse was the RideLondon 100 which necessitated a stay in London and so the Dorchester was our chosen hotel.

Arriving with a cycle did not phase the team and it was safely stored until I needed it at 5am the next day! Check in was a pleasure and we were shown to our lovely room and made to feel valued customers - not always the case at other top hotels.

We had guests for Afternoon Tea and as always it was very enjoyable - the mini ice creams went down well with my nieces! Marvyn - our server - was excellent with a great mix of service and style with a smile - a true asset for the hotel. The tea was as would be expected - well crafted, plentiful and of the highest quality. cocktails in the bar preceded and followed the tea - the only disappointment being that the special "lipstick" cocktail was not available as they had run out of lipstick! My wife was despondent - until the next drink arrived!

Breakfast was a joy as should be expected and indeed I find that I do not need anything else until tea time after a lovely full English.

Whilst it is not cheap I would say that it is not expensive either. Especially if you can get one of the special deals offered by the hotel. I look forward to staying at the Dorchester Collection hotels again - perhaps next time I wont have to cycle 100 miles before 10:30 am during our next stay!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MangoChutney
Dear MangoChutney, Thank you for taking the time to leave such a beautiful review. I was delighted to read that you have experienced other hotels within the collection and that your stay was to your complete satisfaction. It seems that you made the most of your visit, especially when the main purpose was your participation in the RideLondon 100. I thank you also for your most kind comments about Marvin. I will make sure to share your feedback with him and the rest of the team here and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Dorchester in the not too distant future. Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager and Regional Director UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection
Alton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We have stayed here on many occasions and they are truly the experts in discrete and consistent service regardless of the type or cost of room we have stayed in. During the school holidays they also offer an adjoining children's room included in the parents room price which is exceptional value. They treat the children like royalty and they even get their own slippers and robes. Sometimes there are surprise gifts for them also which they love. Nothing is too much trouble, the beds are the most comfortable that we have ever slept on and the bathrooms are spotless. I would encourage people to try and stay here at least once in a lifetime and look out for their very affordable rates they have from time to time with their special offers.

Room Tip: Ask for a park view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jayeve15
Dear Jayeve15, It is with great pleasure that I read about your return visit to The Dorchester and I am delighted to know that we have managed to meet your expectations consistently for some time now. Your kind words regarding the bedrooms, amenities and your children’s experience are great to hear and I will happily share them with the rest of the team here. We all look forward to welcoming you back on many occasions in the future. Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager and Regional Director UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection
Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The bad smell in the corridor was very unexpected and surprising. Also, I expected to have a tea in my room, this was disappointing as well.
Otherwise the hotel is fine, clean and peaceful. The pillows are very bad. It is a very huge hotel, it seems like you are going forever to your room.
The hotel is across the Hyde Park, so there is an option for recreation. Also, in 30 minutes walking distance from the Piccadilly Circus area with bars, restaurants and shops.
It is almost frustrating how this hotel has bad tube connection.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank An4i
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear An4l, Thank you for leaving a review on your recent visit to The Dorchester. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed the ambience of our hotel, but really sorry to read that your overall experience was not to your complete satisfaction. Firstly, I would like to apologise for the shortfall with the afternoon tea, which I would like to discuss further with you, if you could kindly contact John Scanlon, our Hotel Manager, directly at the hotel. Your feedback is most appreciated and I will be discussing your points with the team here, as our collective goal is always to offer an exceptional experience that our guests have come to expect from us. I do very much hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Dorchester in the not too distant future. Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager and Regional Director UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

This is our favourite place for afternoon tea and far better than other London venues. We always take special friends to eat there in the summer. The selection of sandwiches and pastries is superb and the staff always offer a selection of teas which is the classic English afternoon tea touch.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Colin P
Dear Colin P, I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your afternoon tea at The Dorchester and how much you appreciated the service, the food and our Dorchester blend tea. I am delighted to know that we have managed to meet your expectations consistently for a long time and many thanks for sharing your experience with us. I will happily share your comments with the team here and I hope to be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future. Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager & Regional Director –UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Over the last quarter of a century I visited London time and again ; for most of the time we used the Dorchester for obvious reasons . The quality of the property is enhanced by the quality of the staff and both were nicely preserved for long.
As they open the door of your car as you arrive you feel the professionals . The glamorous way the lobby is ornate with huge flower arrangements , the incredible know-how of the concierge team, the attention to detail within the rooms and so on .
It is an experience hard to beat in London . It reminds me of the Plaza Athenee in Paris

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Radu C, I thank you for your continued patronage and I am delighted to know that we have managed to meet your expectations consistently throughout the years. Your kind words regarding your stay are great to hear and I am delighted to see that you have also experienced our sister hotel in Paris the Hotel Plaza Athenee. Rest assured I will share your comments with the rest of the team here as well as my counterpart at the Plaza Athenee and we all look forward to welcoming you back on many future occasions. Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager and Regional Director UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection