“sleek, stylish and friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of COMO The Halkin

COMO The Halkin
Ranked #5 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Gainesville, Florida
“sleek, stylish and friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2011

My sister, friend and I stayed at The Halkin while in London for the Royal Wedding. What an amazing experience! From our arrival to departure we couldn't have been more happy. The room was amazing! The bathroom may be the largest I have experienced while traveling in Europe! The water pressure in the shower was a bit insane (very powerful!), I would take it over a trinkle any day of the week! The nightly turndown service was great and I believe the housekeeping staff were magical fairies because I never saw a housekeeping cart or employee!

The hotel is located right off of a main road and within walking distance to Buckingham Palace and Hyde Park. It's a quiet and beautiful neighborhood.

I look forward to visiting The Halkin during my next visit to London!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
SimonWakefield, General Manager at COMO The Halkin, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you for your review of The Halkin , Happy New Year and we look forward to seeing you this year
Simon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2011

Me and my wife, we were celebrating our 4th Anniversary when we chose to spend a couple of nights at the Halkin. You know, a special occasion needs a special treat.
As the hotel's location is prime due to its proximity to areas such as Hyde Park, Mayfair, Knightsbridge... it made easy for us to also enjoy sometime around the city.

The Hotel amenities are quite astonishing... starting from the room, which had a "enormous" king-size bed, a walk-in closet and a bathroom.
I love those bed-side touch screen controls they have for you to turn the lights on/off, control the temperature and off course an alarm.

On the first night we decided to have dinner at Nahm, the Thai restaurant located within the hotel. What a restaurant... we had such a great time, enjoying great Thai food and lovely atmosphere.

The staff in general was really friendly and professional. Top notch!

Really special place, strongly recommend!!! And I'll be definitely coming back soon!!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Des Moines, IA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2011

I rarely write reviews, but I must say my experience at The Halkin left a hugely positive impression. The rooms are top notch, the location is great, the service and food were terrific. But what made the biggest impression was the quality, helpfulness, and general friendliness of the staff--it was truly a delight to stay there. Expensive, yes, but very very well worth the price.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2011

I stayed at THE HALKIN with my wife last September 2010 for eight days to celebrate my birthday and I aprecciated very much this boutique hotel. Front desk, concierge and housekeeping were just perfect. Everything you need offered in a top level just like a five star boutique hotel should be.

The suite was very charming and nicely decorated, very comfortable, providing small details that made a difference such as: the touch screen control panel of all lights, music in the bathroom, TV, sofa and two armchairs, complete bathroom with their own line products (COMO Shambhala). We felt like in our own home.

At THE NAHM Restaurant we had the best Thai food of our lives. We study and appreciate wines very much and we were very surprised with the "chart of wines". It is very well selected and completed, with an amazing variety including from South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, great champagnes, like a Cristal Louis Roederer, Krug and Dom Pérignon, to the Bordeaux PremiÃ?re Gran Cru Classé exclusive wines, like Chateau Pétrus, Château Cheval Blanc, Château Mouton-Rothschild and Château Haut-Brion.

TONI SIMIONI
Av.Epitacio Pessoa, 2030/1001-Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
tonisimioni@uol.com.br

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tonisimioni
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2011

Stayed at the Halkin for a night in a Deluxe Room. Probably one of the greatest rooms I ever slept in, even comparing it to suites of more than 1000 sqft. This one was around 450 sq ft and that's the perfect size for a solo traveler or even a couple.

Loved the bathroom with the deep bathtub that takes 90 seconds to fill. Vanities and Products could indeed have been better. I was expecting something nicer for that kind of room and hotel.

The location is very central but remains quiet and provides an opportunity to sleep well.

Only drawback because there has to be one: the price: around 420 GBP a night, without breakfast. That's quite high.

If I find some promotions or discount code, I will definitely be back because I loved the hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank SeamasterFrance
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2011

My girlfriend and I have decided to spend a night in hotel to celebrate a special event.
We have never had such a great experience in a hotel. Wonderful and helpful staff, great service, divine thai food. The cocktail I had, 'Nahm Godfather', was just perfect.
Our Superior Double room really exceeded my expectation. We really see the Halkin as a luxury romantic place where to stay and relax.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank scaperrotta
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2011

This hotel was designed by Armani and is located in Belgravia, very close to Hyde Park Corner, and Embassy Row, so transport (taxi or Tube) is no issue. It's around the corner from Buck House, should you have an invite for tea with Her Majesty. It's also perhaps 10 minutes walk from Lowndes St and Cadogan Square, which runs into Sloane St. There are a number of high-end shops, boutiques and a couple of charming cafes in Lowndes St. In short, we loved the location.

Yet the hotel itself we found to be very quiet and restful, as Halkin St. is a side-street. The ambience is high-end chic. It's small, which we liked. I'm not sure this is the place for you if you're traveling with kids and/or with a large family. Similarly, if you like the hustle and bustle of a buzzy, busy larger hotel, this place is not for you. The hotel has a bar on the ground floor, which was adequate for our purposes, but, again, if you want a bar with more buzz, certainly the Mandarin Oriental in nearby Knightsbridge, or the bar at The Connaught in Carlos Place is more your speed.

The staff at The Halkin were terrific. Typically, we were greeted by name and every request was honored and executed swiftly. For example, we checked in very late -- about 10pm and had dinner reservations. We looked disheveled after our 7-hour transatlantic trip, but were greeted warmly. I had called the preceding week to request a room upgrade and was told the front-desk staff were busy but that a note would be made on the file. Sure enough, the request was honored and we had been upgraded. Our bags were whisked up to our room while we went out to dinner. Further, every time we left the hotel, the room was made up again flawlessly following our request-- that's twice a day, every day. Finally, room service was very prompt. For example, ice arrived within moments of a request. Breakfast arrived within the time promised -- and the latte and capuccino were both first-rate.

There is a restaurant on site called Nahm. It's Thai, but we did not try it as we had made all our dining plans ahead of time. Too bad. Turns out this is supposedly the only Michelin-starred Thai restaurant in all of Europe!

The room we were upgraded to was not huge, but certainly large enough by European standards. I would estimate that it was perhaps 20 feet by 10, while the bathroom was perhaps an additional 15 feet by 8? Separate shower and large tub are standard. Fine materials throughout -- marble bath, high-end wood everywhere, very high ceilings and many windows throughout all contributing to sense of light and space.

A nice touch was the wi-fi. No charge. At a nice hotel. In London. How unusual, and what a pleasure not to feel gouged. However, while it's very fast, you won't be able to download Itunes purchases -- congestion concerns? It's a small gripe and was of little moment to us.

The posted rack rate for a Superior Room on The Halkin's website was GBP 480 per nite. We were upgraded to a Deluxe Room with a posted rate of GBP 550 per nite.Not cheap and hardly my definition of "value". Yet I gave The Halkin 5 stars in this category. Why? Quite simply because we booked an air/hotel package through Expedia and paid nothing like the posted rates. Frankly, I would not pay those rates for ANY hotel. But the deal we got online made staying at The Halkin a reasonable proposition for us.

Quite simply, The Halkin and its staff provided us with the best hotel stay we've ever had anywhere in Europe. So much so, I was tempted to NOT post a review for purely selfish reasons. If you do get to stay at The Halkin, I shall be very jealous.

I look forward to our next stay.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple