“Hidden Gem”
Review of COMO The Halkin

COMO The Halkin
Ranked #4 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We absolutely loved this hotel, hidden away from the the locura that is the City, but close to everything.

We had a suite which was amazing and in keeping with other Como hotels, elegantly understated and oozing class.

Aside from the staff being incredibly helpful and friendly, they seem to genuinely love working there which is so nice to see.

Hotel - Amazing... Staff - Amazing... Dining - Amazing... Nahm is fantastic and breakfast on the balcony just rounded off a perfect weekend.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Claudia C, Front Office Manager at COMO The Halkin, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2012

Thank you very much indeed for sharing your experience. It is an absolute pleasure to read comments like this and we are delighted that you had such a memorable time here at The Halkin.

Please feel free to contact me directly at your convenience when planning your next visit as I would be delighted to make the necessary arrangements.

Reviewed 29 October 2012

This hotel is far removed from the hustle and bustle of the city, offering a quiet serene haven where you can "zone out" and re-energise. The rooms are bright and airy with all the mod-cons that one could wish for.

We stayed at the Halkin in celebration of our wedding anniversary and we booked the Gastronomy Package and were not disappointed. Upon our arrival we were treated like royalty. The staff were all incredibly helpful and friendly.

Would highly recommend staying at this lovely hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Claudia C, Front Office Manager at COMO The Halkin, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2012

Thank you very much for your great feedback following your recent stay with us. It was an absolute pleasure to have you as our guests and I am delighted that you had such a memorable wedding anniversary.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future.

Reviewed 19 October 2012

This hotel is in a quiet residential part of Belgravia, London and counts many of the world's embassies as neighbours. It's a quiet location and the hotel is medium size. Unassuming from the road, the interior is however very much a style haven, imbued with an atmosphere of healthy well being - and that is the overarching message from the owners Como when you read the literature in the room and in the the hotel facilities folder. Staff are trained to please the guest and they do make the effort. Front of house employees are helpful, but with so many hotel staff now coming from eastern Europe or further 'north' it is often a case of repeating everything so as to be understood. They are charming though. Concierge was extraordinarily enthusiastic. My room on the top (5th) floor smelt of food. On mentioning this, the receptionist admitted that it was because the room (504) was near to the staff stairway or lift, can't quite remember what the young lady said. But it is the smell of food from the Thai restaurant filtering up. Apart from that the room was classy and fully fitted for the star rating and with high quality toiletries in the bathroom. Here there is a very big and deep bath plus a separate, walk-in shower with very powerful water flow. The area around the bedhead was rather dusty Views from this room are interesting and look across London. At breakfast all guests this morning were business people, but the hotel attracts well heeled tourists from across the pond and elsewhere. Breakfast itself was cooked to a superb standard with the most exquisite scrambled eggs. The orange juice is described as being according to season. By which they mean the oranges which are squeezed to order come from wherever it is still warm. In my case they were Morrocan oranges and the juice was indescribably fabulous. It is interesting to walk around this neighbourhood if you are from out of town. Try to count the number of embassies (look for the flags outside).

Room Tip: Avoid 504 unless you like the smell of Thai cooking before bed. Seriously, that did clear an hour or...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Claudia C, Front Office Manager at COMO The Halkin, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2012

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to share your valued feedback following your recent stay here at The Halkin by COMO. While I was very pleased to read about the various aspects of your stay which made it all so memorable, I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused by the smell of food in your room. I completely understand that this is certainly not pleasant and I would like to assure you that we will assess this matter further together with our Head of Engineering.

In the meantime I remain duly at your service should there be anything I can assist with now or in future.

Reviewed 15 October 2012

Location is perfect, quiet side of London, little traffic in the street, close to the premium shopping area, very safe area with all the embassies close by and Buckingham Palace just behind the corner.
A tube station is at only 5minutes walking.

Rooms are very spacious for London standards, have all the amenities ad are very clean and well maintained.
We had a room next to the elevator and street side, a nightmare you would expect, but no noise whatsoever.
Hotel is very quiet and relaxed.

Staff is very helpful and does all it can to accommodate for any request, going from beauty products to booking a car.

We received a bottle of champagne for my wife's birthday, I assume it was for that reason as it was not detailed why. It was a bottle of Louis Roederer champagne and not a cheap substitute as you get in a lot of hotels which shows the class of the hotel.

Free wifi works perfectly throughout the hotel.

Breakfast only offers cooked to order breakfasts, but of great quality.

The only downside I can mention is that when I booked online I booked including breakfast and received a conformation for this. However when arriving at the first breakfast I was informed it was not included. After the staff checked it became clear that with the type of booking I made it was not possible to combine breakfast and that it had not been charged either. So this was a small mistake of not having informed me that this part of my booking had not gone through.
Staff handled it perfectly and took the time to figure out what went wrong.

All in all a great find.

Room Tip: Any room works, even next to the elevator on street side you can have a perfect night.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much indeed for your great feedback. Experiences such as yours really do make us very happy and proud and I am pleased that you had such a wonderful time. In regards to the confusion with the breakfast, please accept my sincere apologies again. Rest assured that I have personally looked into this matter to ensure that this will not occur again.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to your new London home, I send you my warmest regards.

Reviewed 15 October 2012

One of the nicest boutique hotels I have ever stayed in. Our room luxurious and quiet. The staff could not have been more efficient, cheerful and helpful. Location was excellent. Will be recommending it to everyone !

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you very much for your lovely feedback! Looking forward to many more stays.

Reviewed 13 October 2012

This is a very stylish, well thought out hotel. We stayed in room 104 which was a really nice studio suite. There was great attention to detail. The staff could not be more pleasant. We received really professional service in a very friendly way. We had breakfast in the room on both occasions and it was excellent. I would love to stay here again. It is in a great, central location. There is great intimacy in the hotel but it is amazingly quiet.

Room Tip: We really like room 104
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you very much for your great feedback. I am pleased that you had such a memorable stay and in particular that you had such memorable encounters with the team.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to The Halkin by COMO!

Reviewed 9 October 2012

My husband and I just returned from Europe ending with a 3 night stay in London to visit with friends. Usually we stay with friends, but on this visit we selected the Halkin due to our preference for smaller luxury boutique hotels, its location, and its high ratings here and elsewhere.

We loved everything about the Halkin--its intimacy, its design aesthetic (chic contemporary flair without being too crazy), its friendly and obliging staff, its prompt and delicious room service, dining at Nahm, and its fantastic proximity to our friends and almost everything we like most in London. Our original room, 104, was a studio suite, and it was spacious, well designed, with a large open plan junior suite feel and decent sized bath.

I had contacted the hotel before booking to make sure they had effective air conditioning capable of bringing the temperature down to 17 C or cooler, and was assured it would be fine. My friends in London also called in advance to confirm this before our booking.

Unfortunately, the air conditioning didn't work at all and we asked them to look into it after checking in and then leaving to meet friends for dinner/drinks. On our late night return, the air was still not working, though a call to the front desk indicated that it had been fixed. I had an uncomfortable night's sleep but did finally sleep after taking a sleeping pill.

After awakening and having room service breakfast (which was wonderful), we again complained and asked for the air to truly be fixed before we left for the day. On our return, nothing was different: air was blowing but it was not cold, and it certainly was not cooling our room below even 20 C. A duty manager confirmed this and promised it would be fixed yet again. By the time we returned after a late dinner, nothing again had changed--but it was 2 am and so I tried to sleep anyway with open windows and fans they had previously brought to help.

By 4 am I realized I could not sleep at all--it was too cold with the windows open for my husband and the noise and light caused by the open windows were totally interfering with my ability to sleep, as well. At 5 am, I finally went to the front desk and REALLY complained that they needed to fix the issue or we would leave early. I then spent the next few hours trying to sleep, only finally dozing in and out of sleep in the afternoon while my husband toured the city with friends.

On his return, a manager FINALLY decided that the air wasn't ever working in room 104 since it had not yet been "renovated" and upgraded us to room 308, presumably a 1 bedroom Belgravia suite with separate bed and living rooms and a bigger bath. The air worked perfectly well here, and I finally was able to get a good night's sleep on our final night.

The hotel only moved us after 2 continual days of repeated complaints--not impressive service at all. In the end, a manager admitted our original room did have non-working air because it wasn't a newly renovated room like 308. I was pretty furious...but my husband wanted to let it go.

We loved everything about the Halkin except the TERRIBLE way this problem was handled from the start. We should have been moved to any room or suite with working air IMMEDIATELY upon complaint as they knew it didn't work in 104. They didn't until 2 nights had passed. At very least, they should have refunded us 2 nights for such shameful lack of consideration from a hotel that knows better.

We want to return, but I am apprehensive that such an experience could occur again. We now know that there is very effective working air conditioning in SOME rooms/suites, but we were just treated very poorly in this regard.

Again, the Halkin is fantastic if air isn't an issue for you like it definitely is for me. But it does give one pause that such a small service-oriented luxury hotel could treat us so badly in such circumstances. Were it not for the air con issue and the manner in which it was handled, we certainly would have given 5 stars.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Bill R
Claudia C, Front Office Manager at COMO The Halkin, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your recent experience. While I was very pleased to read that you very much enjoyed the hotel services and interactions with the team, I was certainly most concerned to learn about the lack of sleep you had and the inconvenience you have experienced as a result of that.

Whilst we have always prided ourselves to offer service excellence at the Halkin, obviously we have let you and your husband down on this occasion. I agree with you that the air-conditioning fault in your room could have been handled in a more efficient manner and I can understand the discomfort that you have gone through during your stay with us. I have investigated the air-conditioning of the room again and wish to confirm that the temperature can now be reduced to a level of 18 degrees without affecting the rest of the hotel rooms. You were right to point out that we were able to bring down the temperature of the Belgravia suite to a lower level as the suite has a larger air-conditioning unit, to accommodate the size of the suite. Nevertheless we should have been more alert to offer you a room change in the first instance when we did not manage to resolve your request for a cooler room.

Once again, please accept our sincere apologies. I remain duly at your service should you wish to discuss this matter further in person. Despite the obvious disappointment caused on this occasion, I truly hope to welcoming you back to The Halkin by COMO in the not too distant future.

With warm regards,