COMO The Halkin, London
US$215
US$188
galahotels.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewshyde park cornerquiet streetcomo shambalaa small boutique hoteldeluxe roomsloane streetseparate showerbuckingham palacegreat boutiquewelcome drinkroom serviceafternoon teaconcierge deskperfect hotelbed was very comfortablenext trip to londonwithin easy walking distance
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I have stayed at many hotels during my years of travel but Halkin certainly ranks amongst one of the best i have stayed in. From Hotel ambiance, location, friendliness of staff, room comfort to almost all the facilities it ranks amongst one of the best London has to offer.

The only exception was the Gym, which was not only tiny , in basement but also had limited equipment. Very good value for money and strongly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
SimonWakefield, General Manager at COMO The Halkin, London, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Dear Mr Mazhar

Thank you for taking the time to both review and also email me directly. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay at The Halkin. I have passed on your thanks to Jackie and Stefano.

Do let me have your feedback on the gym as we are always looking to improve.
Best Regards

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Just back from three nights at the Halkin. What a wonderful small hotel, finely appointed and located in a quiet street yet minutes from Hyde Park Corner tube station. Professional and friendly staff. Clean and quiet as can be. No mobs, crowds or screaming kids....yay!
My partner and I wouldn't hesitate to return.

Room Tip: Our room, a deluxe king, was on a low floor facing the street and the Forbes House. Perfection.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chesterb2000
SimonWakefield, General Manager at COMO The Halkin, London, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Dear chesterb2000,

Delighted to read your excellent feedback following your recent stay with us here at The Halkin by COMO and looking forward to meeting you and your wife in person during your next stay.

All the best,

Reviewed 4 August 2013

To make things clear from the outset, this was my third stay at the Halkin this year. It should therefore come as no surprise that this is my favourite place to stay in London.
This last time my son and I stayed for three nights in a deluxe room.
Pros:
1. Incredibly large rooms (I am referring to the Deluxe rooms which are larger than many suites in competing hotels).
2. Sophisticated yet understated modern furnishings (if you are in to older styles, such as Victorian etc. this is not the place for you).
3. Great location in a quiet residential areas in Belgravia, yet very short walking distance (2-3 minutes) from Hyde Park Corner and the tube.
4. First class service, from all hotel staff (e.g. my boy bought a toy which, so it turned out, required opening several screws to fit in the batteries. Several minutes after mentioning to the concierge that I would like to borrow a philips screwdriver, Matthew, the hotel's longstanding maintenance guy, knocked on our door and spent several minutes helping us construct the toy).
5. Quiet atmosphere. With only around 40 rooms, this is far from a noisy hotel. You may encounter the odd guest or two in the lifts, but most of the time you will feel as if the staff are only there for your benefit. Again - those people who actually like to stay in an active and bustling hotel - this is not the place for you.
6. Free and good quality wifi in the rooms.

Cons, comments and suggestions (yes - there are a few):

1. Room prices. As to be expected, a 5 star luxury hotel in Belgravia does not come cheap. Far from it. However, in my experience it is possible, if planning sufficiently in advance, to book the hotel's prepaid advance rate, which can create savings of around 30-40%.
2. Costs of room service and extras. During our last three day stay, we ate a lot at the hotel. This included one breakfast in the "dining room", which is actually the new Ametsa restaurant, transformed into a breakfast room, and another breakfast in our room. We also ordered in dinner twice. In all occasions both the food and the service were perfect. However, the prices were extremely high. As an example, when ordering the in-room breakfast, I requested some additional bread. As expected, when the breakfast arrived, it included a small basket containing three (very) small but freshly baked rolls. However, I was quite shocked to discover that I was charged 10GBP for these three small rolls (actually more than the price of either of the two main breakfast dishes we had ordered...)
3. Facilities. All the facilities in the hotel are first class but extremely compact. The hotel has a nice bar, and one restaurant (supposed to be very good. Never eaten there in the evening since it became Ametsa. We did eat at the previous michelin starred Nahm, to mixed reviews). There is also a small gym somewhere (yet to use it) and a miniscule busines center (one mac computer with free printer) in the 2nd floor, next to the lifts. That's more or less it. For me - this is quite sufficient (exactly what I need). However, if you're looking for a multi-service hotel, with a variety of restaurants, shops and other services, this is not the place for you.
4. Sometimes difficult to catch a cab. Halkin street is not busy, and as a result there are almost no cabs to be found there. if you do want a cab, you can choose to walk a hundred yards to the right to a busy street, or 50 yards to the left to a junction which has regular cab trafffic. Alternatively, you can ask the very efficient concierge to find you a cab (they will usually turn left...). We always managed to catch a cab within 5 minutes or so, but not having them available next to the hotel is somewhat of a small downside, especially if its raining.
5. Difference between Junior Suite and Deluxe Room is negligible and not worth the difference. My previous stay I was kindly upgraded to a junior suite from my regular deluxe room. At first glance I couldn't tell them apart. After a few minutes I realized that the junior suite has a larger dressing area. At the same time, it had what appeared to me to be a smaller bathroom. All in all - I dont feel that these difference justify any additional expense.
6. The bed is very soft and fluffy. For me this is a bit of a negative, as I personally prefer more support. Obviously - this is a matter of personal taste.
7. No facilities for children. The hotel has nothing special arranged for young kids (my son who travelled with me this time is 10 years old). I have stayed in other hotels in London which offered my kids the use of game consoles etc. This is probably a point for the Halkin management to think about.

All in all - notwithstanding these small comments - this is the best hotel I've discovered in London (and I've tried quite a few) and I have every intention of going back, as long as they maintain their current standards.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are incredible.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank dr63
SimonWakefield, General Manager at COMO The Halkin, London, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Dear dr63,

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences here at The Halkin by COMO following your various stays this year. While I was of course extremely happy to see that the hotel and its facilities ticks so many boxes for you, I am even more grateful for your suggestions and feedback about how we can even further improve our guest experiences. Reading about the episode with your son's new toy and your encounter with Mathew make me very proud indeed. Please rest assured that your feedback is very valuable to me. I would therefore be delighted to further discuss this and your preferences in person over coffee during your next stay. Perhaps you would be kind enough to contact me directly when planning your next visit, so that I can personally assist in making the necessary arrangements.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 30 July 2013

I was out of the hotel for the vast majority of my brief stay, but the suite was elegantly appointed and the staff was superb. I'd recommend it for all manner of travelers, but certainly a pleasure if you are a business traveler with an expense account. It was actually a pretty good value for London, pre-upgrade, in my opinion.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Dear Rocky Z,

Very pleased to see that you had such a comfortable stay here at The Halkin by COMO. Thank you very much as well for your great feedback about the team. It is always a joy to see what a difference they make. Looking forward to meeting you in person during your next visit.

Best,

Reviewed 26 July 2013

just came back to Manhattan from London where my wife and I stayed at the Halkin Hotel. We stayed at some of the famed and elegant london hotels in the past and also in three "boutique" hotels. The Halkin is simply amazing and exceeds by far all of opur past experiences. Is it the superb, quite, and elegant service? the beautiful accommodations? (we had suite 101 - wonderful, tasteful, super comfortable, quiet). The concierge service was impeccable and we got into some of the most coveted venues last minute. the bar is great, the Ametsa restaurant amazing. and then there is the quaint little street off the most charming Belgrave square 3 minutes away from Hyde park in the upscale muted Belgravia neighborhood. In one word - perfection. We will always come back to the halkin. Thanks for running such a superb place.

Room Tip: the belgravia open plan suite
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
SimonWakefield, General Manager at COMO The Halkin, London, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Dear Rami R,

Very pleased that you and your wife had such an excellent stay here at The Halkin by COMO and that our Belgravia Suite 101 and the facilities in the hotel did exceed your expactations in so many ways.

I am looking forward to many more stays and would be delighted to personally assist with making the necessary arrangements.

Best,