“Discrete luxury but not good for early risers!”
Review of COMO The Halkin

COMO The Halkin
Ranked #6 of 1,063 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Discrete luxury but not good for early risers!”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Had a very enjoyable one night stay at the Halkin and it is an excellent hotel. The room was very large by London standards and incredibly quiet. Service was generally very attentive but the hotel didn't seem to be set up for guests with an early start! Breakfast didn't start until 7am and finding staff to help first thing in the morning seemed to be a challenge. Not a massive issue but as this is a five star London hotel I did expect slightly more than the service I received

Room Tip: Good views on the 5th floor
1 Thank BusyTraveller77
SimonWakefield, General Manager at COMO The Halkin, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Dear BusyTraveller77
Thank you for your good review and feedback. As you say we are lucky to have such a quiet location but also be in the most central part of the city next to Buckingham Palace. Not sure why the team were not all on show but breakfast is available before 7am from room service or a complimentary trolley of tea's coffee and croissants in the reception.
Do let me know when you are next planning to return.
Best regards and thank you again

Simon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Barcelona
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Good experience. Excellent location in a quite street but very close to tube station and walking distance from Hyde Park and Knightsbrige shops. Rooms are big for London's standards and service is very kind. However, the room seemed a bit old and required some update. Otherwise my review would have been a 5/5.

1 Thank MiguelMR
SimonWakefield, General Manager at COMO The Halkin, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Dear MiguelMR,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your recent experience here at The Halkin by COMO. While I of course appreciate your overall excellent rating I would be grateful for your feedback about the areas of concern you have mentioned. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience to discuss this in person. I am very grateful for every suggestion I get to further improve the facilities we offer.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

London
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed for one night in the Halkin to celebrate my husbands birthday. On arrival we found we had been upgraded to a Como suite. It was just wonderful, a large living area full of windows with a dining space and separate bedroom and bathroom. We also had a welcome bottle of champagne delivered to the room. Everything was extremely thoughtful. The hotel is quiet but does have a bar and restaurant. We did not use the restaurant but had in room dining which I thought was good value for money given the hotel standard.

Location of the hotel is great, only a 5 minute walk from Hyde Park Corner tube and very close to the shopping in Knightsbridge. Even with this it was wonderfully quiet when it came to sleep which is always appreciated in a city hotel.

We were on a leisure break but if you are there on business the Internet connection was really fast.

The staff we came into contact with were all very helpful and friendly. I cannot recommend the Halkin highly enough, my husband did not want to leave our suite and we are already trying to think of an excuse to treat ourselves and go back!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Lozza70,

I was delighted to read about your recent experience here at The Halkin by COMO and that our COMO Suite was such a treat for both of you. Thank you for sharing this.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to your new London retreat soon.

Best,

London
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I have stayed at many hotels during my years of travel but Halkin certainly ranks amongst one of the best i have stayed in. From Hotel ambiance, location, friendliness of staff, room comfort to almost all the facilities it ranks amongst one of the best London has to offer.

The only exception was the Gym, which was not only tiny , in basement but also had limited equipment. Very good value for money and strongly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
SimonWakefield, General Manager at COMO The Halkin, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Dear Mr Mazhar

Thank you for taking the time to both review and also email me directly. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay at The Halkin. I have passed on your thanks to Jackie and Stefano.

Do let me have your feedback on the gym as we are always looking to improve.
Best Regards
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Just back from three nights at the Halkin. What a wonderful small hotel, finely appointed and located in a quiet street yet minutes from Hyde Park Corner tube station. Professional and friendly staff. Clean and quiet as can be. No mobs, crowds or screaming kids....yay!
My partner and I wouldn't hesitate to return.

Room Tip: Our room, a deluxe king, was on a low floor facing the street and the Forbes House. Perfection.
1 Thank chesterb2000
SimonWakefield, General Manager at COMO The Halkin, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Dear chesterb2000,

Delighted to read your excellent feedback following your recent stay with us here at The Halkin by COMO and looking forward to meeting you and your wife in person during your next stay.

All the best,

Israel
Reviewed 4 August 2013

To make things clear from the outset, this was my third stay at the Halkin this year. It should therefore come as no surprise that this is my favourite place to stay in London.
This last time my son and I stayed for three nights in a deluxe room.
Pros:
1. Incredibly large rooms (I am referring to the Deluxe rooms which are larger than many suites in competing hotels).
2. Sophisticated yet understated modern furnishings (if you are in to older styles, such as Victorian etc. this is not the place for you).
3. Great location in a quiet residential areas in Belgravia, yet very short walking distance (2-3 minutes) from Hyde Park Corner and the tube.
4. First class service, from all hotel staff (e.g. my boy bought a toy which, so it turned out, required opening several screws to fit in the batteries. Several minutes after mentioning to the concierge that I would like to borrow a philips screwdriver, Matthew, the hotel's longstanding maintenance guy, knocked on our door and spent several minutes helping us construct the toy).
5. Quiet atmosphere. With only around 40 rooms, this is far from a noisy hotel. You may encounter the odd guest or two in the lifts, but most of the time you will feel as if the staff are only there for your benefit. Again - those people who actually like to stay in an active and bustling hotel - this is not the place for you.
6. Free and good quality wifi in the rooms.

Cons, comments and suggestions (yes - there are a few):

1. Room prices. As to be expected, a 5 star luxury hotel in Belgravia does not come cheap. Far from it. However, in my experience it is possible, if planning sufficiently in advance, to book the hotel's prepaid advance rate, which can create savings of around 30-40%.
2. Costs of room service and extras. During our last three day stay, we ate a lot at the hotel. This included one breakfast in the "dining room", which is actually the new Ametsa restaurant, transformed into a breakfast room, and another breakfast in our room. We also ordered in dinner twice. In all occasions both the food and the service were perfect. However, the prices were extremely high. As an example, when ordering the in-room breakfast, I requested some additional bread. As expected, when the breakfast arrived, it included a small basket containing three (very) small but freshly baked rolls. However, I was quite shocked to discover that I was charged 10GBP for these three small rolls (actually more than the price of either of the two main breakfast dishes we had ordered...)
3. Facilities. All the facilities in the hotel are first class but extremely compact. The hotel has a nice bar, and one restaurant (supposed to be very good. Never eaten there in the evening since it became Ametsa. We did eat at the previous michelin starred Nahm, to mixed reviews). There is also a small gym somewhere (yet to use it) and a miniscule busines center (one mac computer with free printer) in the 2nd floor, next to the lifts. That's more or less it. For me - this is quite sufficient (exactly what I need). However, if you're looking for a multi-service hotel, with a variety of restaurants, shops and other services, this is not the place for you.
4. Sometimes difficult to catch a cab. Halkin street is not busy, and as a result there are almost no cabs to be found there. if you do want a cab, you can choose to walk a hundred yards to the right to a busy street, or 50 yards to the left to a junction which has regular cab trafffic. Alternatively, you can ask the very efficient concierge to find you a cab (they will usually turn left...). We always managed to catch a cab within 5 minutes or so, but not having them available next to the hotel is somewhat of a small downside, especially if its raining.
5. Difference between Junior Suite and Deluxe Room is negligible and not worth the difference. My previous stay I was kindly upgraded to a junior suite from my regular deluxe room. At first glance I couldn't tell them apart. After a few minutes I realized that the junior suite has a larger dressing area. At the same time, it had what appeared to me to be a smaller bathroom. All in all - I dont feel that these difference justify any additional expense.
6. The bed is very soft and fluffy. For me this is a bit of a negative, as I personally prefer more support. Obviously - this is a matter of personal taste.
7. No facilities for children. The hotel has nothing special arranged for young kids (my son who travelled with me this time is 10 years old). I have stayed in other hotels in London which offered my kids the use of game consoles etc. This is probably a point for the Halkin management to think about.

All in all - notwithstanding these small comments - this is the best hotel I've discovered in London (and I've tried quite a few) and I have every intention of going back, as long as they maintain their current standards.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are incredible.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank dr63
SimonWakefield, General Manager at COMO The Halkin, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Dear dr63,

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences here at The Halkin by COMO following your various stays this year. While I was of course extremely happy to see that the hotel and its facilities ticks so many boxes for you, I am even more grateful for your suggestions and feedback about how we can even further improve our guest experiences. Reading about the episode with your son's new toy and your encounter with Mathew make me very proud indeed. Please rest assured that your feedback is very valuable to me. I would therefore be delighted to further discuss this and your preferences in person over coffee during your next stay. Perhaps you would be kind enough to contact me directly when planning your next visit, so that I can personally assist in making the necessary arrangements.

Warm regards,

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I was out of the hotel for the vast majority of my brief stay, but the suite was elegantly appointed and the staff was superb. I'd recommend it for all manner of travelers, but certainly a pleasure if you are a business traveler with an expense account. It was actually a pretty good value for London, pre-upgrade, in my opinion.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dear Rocky Z,

Very pleased to see that you had such a comfortable stay here at The Halkin by COMO. Thank you very much as well for your great feedback about the team. It is always a joy to see what a difference they make. Looking forward to meeting you in person during your next visit.

Best,