“Sublime experience for our second visit--LOVED IT”
Review of COMO The Halkin

COMO The Halkin
Ranked #5 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Newport Beach, California
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,229 helpful votes
“Sublime experience for our second visit--LOVED IT”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

My husband and I returned to the Halkin for our second time in a year, having last visited in October 2013. We had some issues with air con and concomitant service, but otherwise we absolutely loved the property. Claudia from the Halkin had been in touch following my mixed review herein, and she absolutely took care of us for our return visit.

We still love the Halkin. We love its location--convenient walking distance to much of the London we like and super convenient Tube access with the Hyde Park Corner stop just a few blocks away. Its location off a side street makes it very quiet, too, feeling more like you're part of the neighborhood rather than in a hotel within it. We love its size--boutique yet with all of the services which we need, including 24 hr room service. (I don't care about spas, but my husband does sometimes.) Most of all, we love its service--it evokes the service we experience most at Aman and the best Four Seasons properties, and that is something to cherish.

For this visit, we were upgraded complimentarily to a COMO Suite with balcony, room 304. We loved it. I had a slight concern about the air con in the bedroom of the suite, but the hotel staff (especially Claudia again) took care of us, offering to move us again and then, upon our declining, offering to hold another suite for us in case we changed our minds later that weekend. Amazing service. It seems that the older part of the hotel has more air con issues for a crazy person like me, so the newer, remodeled side is where we likely will stay on future visits. For most people, I'm sure the air con will be more than sufficient regardless. Ultimately, the air con in the living room worked so well that it helped cool the bedroom eventually--so I was perfectly comfortable for all 3 nights. My only "complaint" would be that the bedspread didn't seem big enough for our king bed...so the hotel replaced it quickly with a slightly bigger spread. Still not truly big enough in my estimation, but then maybe we are too tall (6'2" and 6'5").

We availed ourselves of room service breakfast one morning, and it was sensationally good (and fast again). I had room service lunch one afternoon, and again it was great. We dined at the Ametsa restaurant for dinner on our last evening (see separate review), and we very much enjoyed it--a much needed improvement over the previous occupant, Nahm. Breakfast in the Ametsa space was delightful--though we did have a few service issues, overall the service and food was very good.

The Halkin to me is a perfect hideaway in the bustle of London. It offers all the 5 star touches I love without being too big and impersonal. It has clean chic style while still being very comfortable. And the service is phenomenal. Claudia wasn't even in the hotel on the weekend, and yet I had an email from her checking in with me to make sure things were going well.

The Halkin will be our go-to hotel for sure from now on in London. We highly recommend it and applaud the hotel and Claudia for allowing us such a blissful return! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Room Tip: Try to choose rooms on the newer, remodeled side if you need better air con. Avoid the lower rooms...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bill R
SimonWakefield, General Manager at COMO The Halkin, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear Tar Heel Bill 92,

Thank you very much indeed for your excellent feedback. It was such a pleasure to read about your recent experience here at The Halkin by COMO and I am delighted that we were able to gain your trust in us back. It will certainly be my absolute pleasure to share your comments with my team and we all look forward to seeing you again in the hopefully not too distant future.

All the best,

Simon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

10/10 all round for this place....one of the best UK hotels I have stayed in....if you visit, do try the Amesta dining experience.....pricey but worth every penny.. Centrally located yet in a quiet enclave away from the hourly burly of it all....loved it.......

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Gardenjayne,

What a pleasure to read your great feedback following your recent stay with us. I am very pleased that The Halkin by COMO has exceeded your expectations in so many ways and that the Ametsa Experience in particular was such a delight.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

NJ
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Let us check in early. Very attentive staff. Nice, clean, airy and bright rooms.The in house spanish restaurant was excellent and a Michelin star.
Next door is the Caledonian Club and they have a bagpiper tooting away on friday on the pavement which was fun. Its well located and we walked most of central London from here.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
SimonWakefield, General Manager at COMO The Halkin, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear Marcobatuta,

Thank you very much for your lovely feedback following your recent stay here at The Halkin by COMO. I am very pleased that you particularly enjoyed the location and Ametsa and will gladly share your comments with the team.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to The Halkin in the hopefully not too distant future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Stayed at The Halkin for 5 nights as a belated 25th wedding anniversary break. From the initial communication with Claudia to the stay itself it was first class. On arrival we were given a delicious bottle of champagne and strawberries dipped in chocolate to celebrate our anniversary. What a lovely way to start off a city break! Room 501 was lovely offering great views of the city and had a huge bathroom. Very spacious by London standards. The bed was very firm but by the second night we had completely adapted and had the correct pillow combination for a great night's sleep! The shower was a bit temperamental but we stuck with the hand shower and loved the water pressure. The turn down service each evening was also a nice touch.

Took breakfast the first morning. We were seated by the window which was nice. Had the English breakfast which included cereal, fruit juice (the best I have tasted), toast, coffee/tea and the usual offerings of bacon, egg, sausages etc. Although we couldn't fault the service, the environment or the quality of food, we felt it was just a little too formal for our liking at breakfast.

We had a drink in the bar one night which was very pleasant. Unfortunately we didn't have enough free evenings to try the hotel restaurant - maybe next time!

Being a smaller hotel definitely suited us. The staff were all very polite and friendly and would always acknowledge us and we came in and out of the hotel. Unfortunately we can't remember names but all reception staff, restaurant staff and the girl from housekeeping who did the turn down each night were lovely.

Keep up the good work! Hopefully we will return to The Halkin on our next trip to London.

Room Tip: The 5th floor offered great views.
1 Thank ver0n
Dear ver0n,

What a pleasure to read about your recent experience here at The Halkin by COMO. I was delighted to see that you so much enjoyed your room 501 and our facilities and that the entire team has created so many memorable encounters. Congratulations again for your 25th wedding anniversary. I am looking forward to meeting you on your next stay.

All the best,

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Spent 3 nights at the Halkin and it was an excellent experience.

The hotel is a small boutique style hotel but everything is of the highest quality.

We had a deluxe room which includes a living area and massive seperate bathroom with jet-spa and seperate shower.

Beds are very comfy and highest quality linens.

Bar was quiet but we had a few cocktails handmade and they were great.

Overall the location is perfect.

If i had to find a fault i would say the shower is too powerful (and i like a good powerful shower) but thats about all i could find.

2 Thank Markmeerkat
SimonWakefield, General Manager at COMO The Halkin, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Dear Markmeerkat,

Thank you very much indeed for your excellent review. I am delighted to hear that you had such a pleasant stay here at The Halkin by COMO. Thank you also for your additional feedback regarding the shower. This will be certainly taken into consideration.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Singapore
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I proposed to my girlfriend here, but let me start from the very beginning...

- SUPERB SERVICE -

I booked a deluxe room for 3 nights at the Halkin way in advance, then e-mailed the hotel outlining my proposal plans and requested their assistance in setting up the room at the appointed hour.

Claudia, the front desk manager, replied promptly and enthusiastically, assuring me that my plans would be carried out to the letter. Stefano, the head concierge, provided me with a list of London's finest seafood restaurants including Ametsa (located in the Halkin itself), which enjoys a certain reputation in its own right. He also sent me a photo of the long-stemmed roses I had requested for. Godoy, from Ametsa, sent me the restaurant's seafood menu for my consideration. Already, it felt like I had a personal entourage in London preparing for my arrival...

Claudia and I must have exchanged about 10 e-mails fine-tuning my proposal plans prior to my departure from Singapore. When I arrived at the hotel, Fabio at the front desk introduced himself with a friendly "So... big day, huh?" and told me that although Claudia was away, he had been fully briefed and that everything was ready. He added that I had been upgraded to the top suite, and gave me a quick tour of the hotel and suite. Any room upgrade would have delighted me, but I was bowled over by the spacious rooms and warm, tasteful decor of the COMO suite.

When the time came, the suite was set up exactly as I had instructed and, well, the proposal went perfectly (even if I say so myself).

One final incident really impressed me. Claudia had offered to arrange for both of us to have breakfast in bed the following morning, but in all my brilliance I did not complete the order form. My new fiancee and I had an early morning engagement that day and were prepared to forgo breakfast. That didn't happen. Instead, the hotel staff enquired after my choice of coffee over the phone, and when my lady and I stepped into the lobby we were greeted by a basket of croissants, buns and pastries, along with two steaming lattes already packed in grab-and-go paper mugs.

Quiet simply, this is the best service I have experienced to-date.

- AMAZING ACCOMMODATION -

Downtown Belgravia, in the neighbourhood of embassies, near the Palace Gardens, Hyde Park (+ Hyde Park Corner tube station) and Knightsbridge - what's not to like about the location?

The COMO suite is beautifully furnished. I like the curved glass roof in particular, but rather than launch into a lengthy description of the suite I'd say go check out the pictures. Of course I was lucky to get an upgrade, but I believe the deluxe room is also of a decent size and has the same wood panelling that lends the COMO suite a welcoming aura. The in-house toiletries (COMO Shambhala) are also top-notch, containing a relaxing blend of essential oils.

- REMARKABLE RESTAURANT -

I'm no food critic, so I'll keep my comments brief. Suffice to say that Ametsa serves up innovative and delectable Spanish cuisine. The service is as good as any you'd expect at a fine dining restaurant and the chef threw in a complimentary starter and dessert, which is always nice. I was not quite myself during dinner (pre-proposal jitters), but I do recall being struck by the freshness of the food. There is this image of fresh giant scallops - one of the starters - that remains etched in my consciousness. I'll probably make another trip down at some point, although by then I suspect the restaurant may have been awarded its first star.

* THE LAST WORD *

I suppose the Halkin will always be a little special because of the proposal, but then again, the proposal was a little special because of the Halkin.

Kudos to Claudia and her team!

Room Tip: If you have any special requirements, e-mail the hotel in advance - you'll receive a prompt and...
1 Thank horo1984
Dear horo1984

Thank you so much for taking the time to write to me personally as well as post such a wonderful review. I know the team were so excited to make sure your planned proposal went as smoothly and of course successfully as possible. Claudia is a superb asset to the hotel and thank you for mentioning her personally. As you say though, the entire team were excellent and we are so pleased it played a small part in your now fiancee saying "yes".

Do let me know when your are planning to return.

Best Regards
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We stayed at The Halkin at sep 11 until 15th and was an outstanding experience. Excellent location near from Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park, easy access to the tube (Hyde park corner station). The neighborhood is wonderful, very quiet but with some stores around, where we could buy snacks and have breakfast. Our dinner at hotel restaurant was the best that we have in London (quite expensive, but delicious!). Vita, the manager, gave us an bedroom upgrade and let us stay for a few extra hours in the last day, waiting for our night flight.
Indeed, we will stay again at The Halkin in our next trip to London.

1 Thank Daniel_e_Aline
SimonWakefield, General Manager at COMO The Halkin, responded to this review, 21 September 2013
Dear Daniel_e_Aline,

Thank you so much indeed for sharing your great feedback following your recent stay here at The Halkin by COMO. It is an absolute pleasure to read that you had such a memorable stay and that Vita from the front desk was able so helpful.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly when planning your next visit.