“Absolutely Amazing”
Review of COMO The Halkin

COMO The Halkin
Ranked #9 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 12 August 2010

I was recommended to stay at the Halkin via a frequent traveller to London. So I knew I was going to be in good hands.
From the moment me and my partner arrived at the hotel we were greeted with professional and very attentive staff, who explained every single detail we needed to know at time of check-in.
After checking in to our amazingly large room we decided to pop down for a drink and tried the "Flights of wine" at the lobby bar. I definitely recommend the flights to any wine lover as the selection and variety of wines are amazing and most importantly the price the very reasonable.
NAHM restaurant has to be one of the best restaurants we have ever dined at and the service is impeccable.
Definitely recommend it to everyone and will be back at first opportunity

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
SimonWakefield, General Manager at COMO The Halkin, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Reviewed 8 August 2010

I stayed here on a "staycation". I always go to the Metropolitan (Halkin's sister hotel across the roundababout opposite Hyde Park Corner) and they have always had impeccable service so thought I'd try Halkin and also it had good reviews here. Check-in was fine, you get offered complementary drink, no one offered or helped with my luggage so I had to take it up myself. I was in room 207 right next to the lifts. I had called ahead to ask for a quiet room and was told that all their double rooms are near lifts but no one had complained of any noise before. I was skeptical but took their word. Room was fine, bed was very comfortable and toiletries were their own brand Como Shambhala which is very good. What really spoiled it for me was the service which wasn't the 5 star experience. I asked for the free wireless password and the lady who showed me the room controls said she would go back down and get it for me and forgot and I had to call down for it. She didn't even apologise when I called down to remind her, she just went " Oh Yeah". These are just small things but in my mind that is what should differentiate a boutique 5 star from a chain 5 star hotel. BUT the real clincher came that night and next morning. First the lifts were noisy. Yes it was a small hotel so less foot traffic means less lift trips going up and down but it was still noisy and I didn't get a good night's rest and this is a hotel which publicised it's reputation based on this whole relaxation and zen theme. We woke up late and I called down to ask if I could have a late checkout. I was politely informed by a gentleman that he couldn't offer me any later than 1pm as the room was already allocated to another family. So i was ok with that. Then I walked into the bathroom and almost slipped and cracked my head on the marble floor/sink/toilet. My bathroom was very small. The washbasin had been leaking water onto the brownish marble floor from the previous night's use. I couldn't see the water on the floor and did one of those split slide things where I almost hit my head. But I did bump my bottom against the toilet and it was sore for a while. Fortunately I am alot younger and spry, I can just imagine a more elder guest would have gone down and really injured themselves. Since the gentleman at receptionist earlier stated that the room had been allocated to another family coming in, I thought I would call down and warn them about this leaky washbasin. The lady who took my call seemed impatient and just kept saying would I like to change my room, I explained I was going to be checking out anyway and that I just wanted to inform them of the leaking basin to ensure the next family won't have an accident that I narrowly avoided. In the end she stated that I should call her back when I had finished my shower to see if they could offer me another room until my checkout. I duly did and they offered me a suite room to put my stuff in but she came back on the phone and stated she checked with maintenance and that the water on the floor is something they knew had to be fixed due to the shower over the bathtub design. I re-explained to her that it's nothing to do with the shower or the bath as I hadn't had my shower or bath yet that morning. I also explained that I bent down and looked under the washbasin and could see it dripping. She actually sounded skeptical and went "Really?". Then she just says they have arranged the other suite room anyway for me. It’s like I should shut up at that point since they offered another room. Not once did she inquire if I had injured myself nor apologized on behalf of the hotel. So I go rush about packing and they moved my luggage to the other room while we went out for breakfast. I return from a walk all sweaty and decide to take another shower in the new suite room 202 and this one had a bath and a separate shower stall. It turns out when you run a bath, the shower stall floods. So water trickles down out of the raised shower stall. Fortunately this time I saw it. I just shook my head at this point and thought it's just not my day. So I re-pack and check out and tell the reception that the second room also has a plumbing problem. Chap at reception was a bit more polite "I am so surprised. We will get if fixed madam. Thank you for telling us." However, no offer to help with luggage again, or ask if I require a taxi to my next destination etc. At this point I got fed up and was glad I was leaving and went on to the Berkeley which is round the corner from this so-called 5 star. Seriously recommend you go Berkeley around the corner. I paid less there for the following night and really got a 5 star boutique hotel service. Read my review on Berkeley.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
7  Thank poshredkitty
HalkinManager, General Manager at COMO The Halkin, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2010

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Halkin on Tripadvisor. I am most grateful for your feedback, which offers valuable information for me, regardless of whether it is good or bad. Furthermore it gives me another source by which to monitor the service we provide.

I was most concerned to read you were dissatisfied with parts of your stay and that at times our service was below that which you should have expected. Through Tripadvisor and from guests directly we receive so many positive comments on our staff and service that it is very disappointing to hear we have let ourselves down on this occasion.

One feature of the hotel is the small number of rooms; 41 in total; which generally conveys a feeling of privacy and seclusion to guests; however with eight rooms per floor none of them are any great distance from the lifts. Whilst this is seen as a benefit by many, I can understand your concern of being located near the lift. We very rarely receive complaints about noise coming from the lifts and I am very sorry that you were disturbed by them during your stay.

The Halkin has a competent maintenance team who work hard to maintain the property, none the less I am aware that faults and failures can occur and I am grateful to you for sharing the faults in the bathrooms concerned. These have now been put right to avoid any potential incidents or inconvenience to guests in the future.

I am sorry my Front Desk staff left you with the impression they did. I genuinely believe they were simply trying to remedy the situation by offering a room move and to one where we could accommodate your late check out request.

At The Halkin we always strive to do our best and are committed to offering our guests great service. I really appreciate your comments, which will be used to improve and maintain our level of service.

Once again, I am sorry we did not meet your expectations on this visit. Please feel free to contact me directly should you wish to discuss any part of your stay.

Kind regards

Kenneth Speirs
The Halkin

Reviewed 5 August 2010

Simply perfect both in service and in details!

I suggest this hotel to all travellers.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
SimonWakefield, General Manager at COMO The Halkin, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Thank you for your review of The Halkin , Happy New Year and we look forward to seeing you this year

Reviewed 5 August 2010

Family friendly, chic, spotless...near Buckingham Palace and Harrods and embassies on
Quiet street......fromKim at reception to an amazing concierge, this 41 room boutique is perfect and quiet.......modern rooms with burled wood and stunning furniture it could not
Be better......we are tough hotel critics and found The Halkin amazing

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 August 2010

We stayed at the Halkin for a Saturday evening treat recently. We were upgraded to a studio suite on arrival, which is always a nice treat and very welcome. The room was spacious, but on the first floor I thought it was a little dark and lacking in natural light. That said the furnishings, linens etc were excellent and the bed gorgeous. Lovely shower gels and shampoos from Como Shambala. I rarely take them home these days but we swiped the lot ! Dinner at Nahm was divine, but very authentically Thai with spice to match - be ready for that. We did not get to the spa at the Met this time, but that is a definite plus point for the hotel as well. We really enjoyed our stay and will be back.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 August 2010

I can't say enough about The Halkin. It was the perfect hotel for us: "grown up" and stylish, yet very accommodating to our young children's needs. We stayed there twice within the space of a few weeks. The first time was a whistle-stop visit for one night after a 13 hour flight from Singapore. We came, crashed, ate, revived and headed off to NY the next day and returned to stay for 5 more days on the way back. I was traveling alone with two small children, lots of luggage and many, many long-haul flights under our belts. The staff were kind, welcoming, knowledgeable and very understanding and efficient.

The neighborhood is quiet, green and very close to everything you need. There was a great park at the end of the street that my girls just adored. The hotel handled everything from picking us up at the airport with child seats in the car, arranging my birthday dinner reservations at Nobu at the very last minute, getting a gorgeous cake for my daughter and I and even taking care of my business related FedEx that arrived the day after I had checked out. They called my client for me and arranged for her to collect the package from the hotel.

Brilliant. Loved it. Many, many thanks for everything.

Sue

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 August 2010

Stayed at the Halkin recently for my business trip. My company normally puts us in larger hotel chains Marriott, Intercontinental, Four Seasons etc which I find them very bland and impersonable. I decided to pay a little extra to stay at a small boutique hotel and my friend recommended Halkin.

The moment I arrived, it was smooth check in and the staff were really nice. I was offered a complimentary drink when I got in the room so opted for a glass of Riesling!!

The Superior room i stayed in was superb. Quite minimalistic but warm and it had everything you need. There only one problem I had was the wifi which I could not connect to but was soon sorted by concierge.

I must point out that as a female often traveling alone on business trips, I found the Halkin very warm and I felt safe. Maybe because it is a small hotel. i never really liked large hotels with long corridors (those who remember The Shining will know what i mean). All in all, a lovely stylish hotel and i will definitely stay there again. I saw their Michelin starred Thai restaurant but did not have time to try. My friend dragged me to a restaurant in Soho instead. Will definitely try it out next time.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business