“Faultless”
Review of COMO The Halkin

COMO The Halkin
Ranked #7 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 31 August 2010

Travelled here on the 29.08.2010, for the bank holiday weekend.
Although pricey the hotel is worth EVERY penny.
From the moment we arrived 2 hours early from check in to the moment we checked out and more everything was truely fabulous!
Rooms have eveyrthing you need and more! Bathroom is gorgeous, Bed is so comfy, pillows very comfy, tv/ipod docks very satisfactory.
Shower and bathing water always hot.
Complimentary coffee brought to our room on arrival, fabulous!!
Nahm restaurant again pricey but worth every last penny spent there. Cocktails are beautiful, along with the champagne cocktails!
Staff always polite and attended to our every need.

London is a beautiful city, both in and around the hustle and bustle to the quiet boutique shops!...
Definately going to visit this hotel again!
Not one bad word to say.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
SimonWakefield, General Manager at COMO The Halkin, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Reviewed 23 August 2010

Faultless relaxing stay at an impeccably presented and well managed Hotel.

Without doubt a true 5 star Hotel - Amazingly comfortable beds in well designed and furnished rooms. First class facilities at a very competitive price. Located on quite street yet only 3 minutes from Hyde Park corner.

1  Thank MrCeee

Reviewed 22 August 2010

I decided to splash out on the Halkin based on previous reviews so I thought it might be useful to provide my own insight into the place.

For a start the hotel is in an ideal location, 2 mins walk from Hyde Park Corner and centrally located for shopping/shows - the hotel itself is on an exclusive and very quiet backstreet.

The service offered throughout our stay was of an incredibly high standard. The staff are attentive and recognise you as you pass through the hotel, addressing you individually and taking a real interest in your needs. This really adds to the sense of exclusivity that the location and surroundings afford and is unlike any other hotel I have stayed in. Furthermore, the concierge service was impeccable, recommending excellent restaurants/booking cars etc; they could not do enough for you.

The room itself was stunningly understated. We were upgraded to a superior room on the top floor - the decor encourages you to relax, there is plenty of room and the beds are to die for. The bathroom was floor to ceiling marble as the pictures other reviewers have shown; the shower and bath were excellent - the floor underneath the toilet was even heated!

After being offered a complimentary glass of champagne we decided to try the bar and experience the 'Flights of Wine' that other reviews mention. This was a lovely way to begin our evening and a new experience for myself - although there were probably not enough cheese/nibbles for my liking on the £17 offering. Food in general throughout the hotel is great but not great value in my opinion - breakfast set me back around £50 for two english breakfasts/toast/juice.

Overall though the stay offered everything I could have wanted from a lavish and indulgent weekend stay. I cannot recommend the hotel highly enough, particularly if you can pick up a cheap deal so you don't feel quite so guilty for paying for breakfast in bed!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 12 August 2010

I was recommended to stay at the Halkin via a frequent traveller to London. So I knew I was going to be in good hands.
From the moment me and my partner arrived at the hotel we were greeted with professional and very attentive staff, who explained every single detail we needed to know at time of check-in.
After checking in to our amazingly large room we decided to pop down for a drink and tried the "Flights of wine" at the lobby bar. I definitely recommend the flights to any wine lover as the selection and variety of wines are amazing and most importantly the price the very reasonable.
NAHM restaurant has to be one of the best restaurants we have ever dined at and the service is impeccable.
Definitely recommend it to everyone and will be back at first opportunity

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 August 2010

I stayed here on a "staycation". I always go to the Metropolitan (Halkin's sister hotel across the roundababout opposite Hyde Park Corner) and they have always had impeccable service so thought I'd try Halkin and also it had good reviews here. Check-in was fine, you get offered complementary drink, no one offered or helped with my luggage so I had to take it up myself. I was in room 207 right next to the lifts. I had called ahead to ask for a quiet room and was told that all their double rooms are near lifts but no one had complained of any noise before. I was skeptical but took their word. Room was fine, bed was very comfortable and toiletries were their own brand Como Shambhala which is very good. What really spoiled it for me was the service which wasn't the 5 star experience. I asked for the free wireless password and the lady who showed me the room controls said she would go back down and get it for me and forgot and I had to call down for it. She didn't even apologise when I called down to remind her, she just went " Oh Yeah". These are just small things but in my mind that is what should differentiate a boutique 5 star from a chain 5 star hotel. BUT the real clincher came that night and next morning. First the lifts were noisy. Yes it was a small hotel so less foot traffic means less lift trips going up and down but it was still noisy and I didn't get a good night's rest and this is a hotel which publicised it's reputation based on this whole relaxation and zen theme. We woke up late and I called down to ask if I could have a late checkout. I was politely informed by a gentleman that he couldn't offer me any later than 1pm as the room was already allocated to another family. So i was ok with that. Then I walked into the bathroom and almost slipped and cracked my head on the marble floor/sink/toilet. My bathroom was very small. The washbasin had been leaking water onto the brownish marble floor from the previous night's use. I couldn't see the water on the floor and did one of those split slide things where I almost hit my head. But I did bump my bottom against the toilet and it was sore for a while. Fortunately I am alot younger and spry, I can just imagine a more elder guest would have gone down and really injured themselves. Since the gentleman at receptionist earlier stated that the room had been allocated to another family coming in, I thought I would call down and warn them about this leaky washbasin. The lady who took my call seemed impatient and just kept saying would I like to change my room, I explained I was going to be checking out anyway and that I just wanted to inform them of the leaking basin to ensure the next family won't have an accident that I narrowly avoided. In the end she stated that I should call her back when I had finished my shower to see if they could offer me another room until my checkout. I duly did and they offered me a suite room to put my stuff in but she came back on the phone and stated she checked with maintenance and that the water on the floor is something they knew had to be fixed due to the shower over the bathtub design. I re-explained to her that it's nothing to do with the shower or the bath as I hadn't had my shower or bath yet that morning. I also explained that I bent down and looked under the washbasin and could see it dripping. She actually sounded skeptical and went "Really?". Then she just says they have arranged the other suite room anyway for me. It’s like I should shut up at that point since they offered another room. Not once did she inquire if I had injured myself nor apologized on behalf of the hotel. So I go rush about packing and they moved my luggage to the other room while we went out for breakfast. I return from a walk all sweaty and decide to take another shower in the new suite room 202 and this one had a bath and a separate shower stall. It turns out when you run a bath, the shower stall floods. So water trickles down out of the raised shower stall. Fortunately this time I saw it. I just shook my head at this point and thought it's just not my day. So I re-pack and check out and tell the reception that the second room also has a plumbing problem. Chap at reception was a bit more polite "I am so surprised. We will get if fixed madam. Thank you for telling us." However, no offer to help with luggage again, or ask if I require a taxi to my next destination etc. At this point I got fed up and was glad I was leaving and went on to the Berkeley which is round the corner from this so-called 5 star. Seriously recommend you go Berkeley around the corner. I paid less there for the following night and really got a 5 star boutique hotel service. Read my review on Berkeley.

7  Thank poshredkitty
HalkinManager, General Manager at COMO The Halkin, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2010

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Halkin on Tripadvisor. I am most grateful for your feedback, which offers valuable information for me, regardless of whether it is good or bad. Furthermore it gives me another source by which to monitor the service we provide.

I was most concerned to read you were dissatisfied with parts of your stay and that at times our service was below that which you should have expected. Through Tripadvisor and from guests directly we receive so many positive comments on our staff and service that it is very disappointing to hear we have let ourselves down on this occasion.

One feature of the hotel is the small number of rooms; 41 in total; which generally conveys a feeling of privacy and seclusion to guests; however with eight rooms per floor none of them are any great distance from the lifts. Whilst this is seen as a benefit by many, I can understand your concern of being located near the lift. We very rarely receive complaints about noise coming from the lifts and I am very sorry that you were disturbed by them during your stay.

The Halkin has a competent maintenance team who work hard to maintain the property, none the less I am aware that faults and failures can occur and I am grateful to you for sharing the faults in the bathrooms concerned. These have now been put right to avoid any potential incidents or inconvenience to guests in the future.

I am sorry my Front Desk staff left you with the impression they did. I genuinely believe they were simply trying to remedy the situation by offering a room move and to one where we could accommodate your late check out request.

At The Halkin we always strive to do our best and are committed to offering our guests great service. I really appreciate your comments, which will be used to improve and maintain our level of service.

Once again, I am sorry we did not meet your expectations on this visit. Please feel free to contact me directly should you wish to discuss any part of your stay.

Kind regards

Kenneth Speirs
The Halkin

Reviewed 5 August 2010

Simply perfect both in service and in details!

I suggest this hotel to all travellers.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
SimonWakefield, General Manager at COMO The Halkin, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Thank you for your review of The Halkin , Happy New Year and we look forward to seeing you this year

Reviewed 5 August 2010

Family friendly, chic, spotless...near Buckingham Palace and Harrods and embassies on
Quiet street......fromKim at reception to an amazing concierge, this 41 room boutique is perfect and quiet.......modern rooms with burled wood and stunning furniture it could not
Be better......we are tough hotel critics and found The Halkin amazing