“The staff here are the rudest I've ever encountered!”

Sanderson London Hotel
Ranked #54 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Oxford, United Kingdom
“The staff here are the rudest I've ever encountered!”
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

Having stayed at many 4 & 5* London hotels from The Savoy and Mandarin Oriental to The Haymarket and Soho Hotel this is the one hotel I had visited for drinks on numerous occasions but never as a resident.

I had been on at my partner for a while saying we needed to have a weekend here and he decided to treat me to just that for my birthday.

To cut a long story short, I wish we had booked into any of the above or the Mayfair. From the minute we arrived to the minute we left the staff were rude, obnoxious, pretentious and thought they were a lot better than they actually were. We had an issue that we had recently changed our accounts from one bank to another and our new cards hadn't been activated so we left a cash deposit at reception because we don't use or own credit cards as don't feel the need to. However you would have thought we second class citizens for doing this. Check in ended up taking almost 20 minutes as a result and checking out was not much quicker as the money we had left in an envelope was no longer there and we had to wait for the staff to go and get it and have it signed off! Nothing like efficiency. It's not as though they never knew what date we were checking out so one would assume they would have had this ready.

The only saving grace on a staffing level was the waiter in Suka was brilliant. Kind, courteous, helpful and with a great sense of humour! There was also one lovely bar hostess in the Purple Bar however the other one was horrendous. When we ordered our cocktails she came straight over to ask for the cash before we could be served as there was no card attached to our room. Therefore making us feel quite inadequate and rather red faced in front of others in an intimate area where everyone can overhear. Again made to feel we were second rate for not having a credit card and for paying in good old fashioned sterling pounds!!! It wouldn't have been so bad if she had spoken to us in a polite and respectful manner but her tone and behaviour were nothing short of appalling. When we left after one drink the other hostess asked why we were leaving so soon and I actually explained this to her and thanked her for her hospitality.
She did apologise for her colleagues attitude but it was too little too late. Off to Zuma for us.

Aside from the staff the room itself was looking a tad tired and although the bed was extremely comfortable I feel this hotel is very over rated and over priced.

I've only given the 2 stars for the comfy bed, the lovely waiter in Suka, the great meal we had there also and the Long bar.

This hotel has had it's day and I would not recommend it to anyone. If the hotel management read this I would encourage them to send their staff to the same training school that The Savoy use as I could not find one fault with anything on my previous stays there. And the staff are beyond exceptional.

We were made to feel uncomfortable our entire stay here to the point that even after an amazing proposal from my now fiancée on that weekend the only thing that ruined it for us was our stay at this hotel. We ended up booking into The Haymarket (Firmdale group) for the following night, which as per usual was amazing with first class service all round.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank helen m
Kevin R, General Manager at Sanderson London Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Thank you for your review Helen, we really do appreciate all feedback whether positive or negative, as it helps us to continuously evaluate and monitor the experience received by our guests. Please accept our sincere apologies that your first visit to Sanderson as a resident guest was not as pleasurable as you had expected. To have let you down is incredibly disappointing, especially as you had chosen to come to Sanderson to celebrate your birthday. We aim to serve all our guests in a friendly and attentive manner, it is certainly never our intention to make our guests feel unwelcome. If you were made to feel uncomfortable during your stay we are so sorry and assure you that we will ask the team to be more gracious in future. We would like the opportunity to restore your faith in us and hope you reconsider and come back to Sanderson on a future occasion. Our guestrooms are currently being refreshed, the new design is luxurious and modern, retaining Sanderson’s iconic style but offering more colour and comfort along with the latest technology. Our Guest Experience Manager would personally like to oversee your visit so she can make sure your next stay exceeds your expectations so please get in touch with her at linxi.romanovski@mhgc.com if you would like to make a reservation. We hope to welcome you back to Sanderson in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
iow
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Stayed here with my friend for a girly London shopping trip, fantastic location just off Oxford street.when we arrived the reception was extremely friendly, couldn't do enough for us, introduced to the concierge, shown around the hotel and escorted to our room and shown how to work everything.Great greeting and made to feel very welcome.
The hotel is very modern and contemporary , fab furniture, very white rooms and lovely comfy bed.Had drinks and ate at the long bar, great atmosphere and as the evening went on it got even more interesting, people watching , no need to leave the hotel as such a great place and then just upstairs to bed !
we will be back soon and take in the lovely afternoon tea which was going on in the lovely courtyard.
Book this hotel for a lovely stay, great location and fantastic staff and even better if they have an offer on !

Room Tip: we where on floor 4 looking onto Berners street, very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank martineIow
Kevin R, General Manager at Sanderson London Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
We are so glad you and your friend enjoyed a warm welcome at Sanderson and hope that you had a great time browsing the amazing shops just around the corner. We are delighted that you loved so much about Sanderson and intend to return for our Mad Hatters Afternoon Tea. If you contact greg.iglicki@mhgc.com when you would like to make a reservation he will make sure your experience is extra special. Thank you Martine for your great review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Sanderson in the future.
Fortaleza, CE
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

I went to this hotel to spend the weekend with my husband. The rooms were new, a bit noisy, but I will definitely come back because of the great experience we had at bar. It was always alive, full of interesting people. It felt good to come from a long day of shopping to this nice bar. Our bartender ( I guess his name was Eddy, he has a beard) was the highlight of our evenings. I never had so many great drinks in my life. He made one with strawberry and chocolate aroma that was just amazing! I can't wait to come back! The food at the restaurant was also very good. The breakfast was lovely and the staff was very friendly.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks for your review of your recent visit to Sanderson. We hope you liked our new rooms as we have aimed to maintain the sleek stylish essence of Sanderson but introduce more colour and comfort to the rooms, along with the latest technology so I do hope you enjoyed our new look. It is great to read that you loved the friendly and fun atmosphere in our bars and we are delighted Eddy provided you with great service and delicious drinks which helped to make your evening so memorable. Please do come back to see us again soon, if you get in touch with linxi.romanovski@mhgc.com she would be love to personally oversee your next stay at Sanderson. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 24 March 2014

If you are looking for truly outstanding service, great food and an overall excellent experience, look no further. The Sanderson London has it all, from tailored, personal service to fantastic food and an extremely service minded staff.
The rooms are quiet and stylish, the restaurants have great food and equally great service, and everyone you meet, from the porter to the concierge, waiters and managers, are doing everything they can to make your experience a wonderful and unique one.
Combining such excellent service with a more casual, laid back atmosphere makes it the perfect weekend getaway hotel, and our new preferred home in London!

Room Tip: The most quiet rooms are on high floor towards the street.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Gunnar, thank you for your amazing review. Sharing your experience by telling the Tripadvisor community that Sanderson is the only place to stay in London is a huge compliment for us. We are so pleased that our team helped to create such a fantastic experience for you as we are devoted to ensuring our guests receive a truly unique and magical stay when they are with us. We are delighted to be your new London home and cannot wait to welcome you back when you next visit the capital. Please contact linxi.romanovski@mhgc.com when you have a booking in place as she will make sure your next stay is even more pleasurable.
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Gorgeous hotel with funky bedrooms and a stunning lobby and bar area. The courtyard is gorgeous but we were disappointed our friends had to go back through the hotel and stand on the street to smoke especially considering we were the only tables outside in the courtyard all evening.
Drink are pricey but service, flair and style make it worth it.
Will definitely be back as this hotel is a great base for London exploration !

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Kevin R, General Manager at Sanderson London Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Thank you for your review of Sanderson, we are so pleased you loved the unique style and ambience of the hotel. We are lucky to be so centrally located as many of London’s attractions are right on our doorstep, not to mention the great shops just around the corner. Please come back to stay with us again soon, if you contact linxi.romanovski@mhgc.com she will be delighted to make sure your next visit is even more enjoyable.
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Stayed here with my wife for valentines. Very modern design which we liked.
After the theatre we took 2 friends back to get some cocktails.
The long bar was packed and Cocktails were great!
The following morning we decided on room service breakfast which was pricey but tasty.
Def reccomend!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
We are delighted you and your wife chose to stay at Sanderson for a Valentine’s Day treat and we hope had a romantic and relaxing time with us. It would be great to see you enjoying some more of our delicious cocktails so please get in touch with linxi.romanovski@mhgc.com when you wish to make your next reservation as she will ensure you have another unforgettable experience at Sanderson.
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I stayed in the Sanderson hotel in January 2014. I've been there many times for drinks in the bar, and certainly the ground floor area is very impressive.

However, the rooms just don't function. There are no plug sockets - when you ask for a kettle or an iron, you have to get really creative about plugging these in without having a weird wiring configuration around the bed. The shower completely flooded the bathroom. There's nowhere to put anything. There's no room to actually sit at the desk behind the bed. These are things I can cope with in a hotel, but not at this price. There's no attention to detail. I called room service for a cup of peppermint tea - and 30 minutes later received a knock at the door, to find a lady holding a peppermint tea bag (to which I responded perhaps I might also need a cup and an kettle!) - bizarre.

For me, the real grating issue was the fact that during my stay, the hotel had no running water for 36 hours. I couldn't even flush the toilet. I received a cake and a cocktail voucher by way of apology, and to be fair, the situation was out of their control - this was a mains problem, not specific to the hotel. But however, when I asked what my options were, I was not offered the option to stay in one of their other hotels in London, the staff were completely disinterested in discussing this with me. Where were the complimentary large bottles of water to help us clean our teeth? Wouldn't it have been a nice idea to leave some face wipes instead of a cake??? When you are on your own, in a stark, flooded, soulless room with drunk girls falling around downstairs, echo-y corridors, and no running water whatsoever, you start to question exactly what you are paying 400GBP a night for. The answer is "looks" (and a very comfortable bed, I have to say). But these things just don't make up for everything else, to me.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank zoetherese
Kevin R, General Manager at Sanderson London Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Thank you for your review of your visit to Sanderson in January. Firstly, please accept our sincere apologies that your time at Sanderson was not as enjoyable as it should have been due to the water service being interrupted during your stay. As you mentioned, this unfortunate incident was outside of our control and we had hoped to ensure the impact on our guests was as minimal as possible so your feedback is much appreciated and we take your comments on board. We would like the opportunity to restore your faith in us so I would be grateful if you could contact Katie.taylor@mhgc.com with further details on your stay. I can assure you that Katie will see that your next visit far exceeds your expectations and we hope to welcome you back to Sanderson on a future occasion.