“Renovated Room - What a Joke”

Sanderson London Hotel
Ranked #65 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed for one night in a deluxe room. £574 inc VAT...

The Air Conditioning was totally inadequate. we had a most uncomfortable, sleepless night. The A/C was working but only one small outlet in a large room.

Only wardrobe was a hanging rail in the bathroom - result....damp clothes.

The hot tap on the shower was almost inoperable unless you had super-strength and dry hands...!! Don't they test the rooms regularly?....obviously not.

No Razor socket

1 tiny body wash, 1 tiny shampoo, 1 tiny conditioner, 1 tiny body lotion - 2 people. Had to ring down for more body wash. It was freely available but do you want to wait for this when you've decided to have a shower? Is this 5*....I think not.

No Turndown Service.

Room rates quoted without VAT - nobody does that these days.

I was horrified to be told on departure that this was a newly renovated room. Somebody needs firing..!!

The staff were really great but this is not the only factor that makes a great hotel.

There are many decent, genuine, sincere 5* hotels in London (I've stayed in most of them) This isn't one of them.

I must declare that I received a 15% discount on my bill. Was it a nice gesture?...yes. Will it encourage me to stay there again?...no. I want to be assured of a comfortable night's sleep. I don't think I'll get it at The Sanderson

6  Thank JuleUK
Kevin R, General Manager at Sanderson London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

We are committed to providing the highest standard of guest experience so are most disappointed that your stay at Sanderson was not as enjoyable as we would hope. We are sorry to read that our newly refreshed rooms were not to your taste and we take your comments on board. We always value feedback, whether positive or negative and appreciate your honest review.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,932)

Reviewed 16 June 2014

My sister-in-law and I recently enjoyed a day at the Agua Spa and enjoyed it so much, we are in the process of booking again at the end of August. We both had a treatment for the end of the day so arrived around lunchtime to enjoy the facilities.

Once you get out of the lift you breathe a sigh of relief as you realise you've arrived - the amazing smell and feel hits you as soon as you enter the beautiful white interior of the spa. The desk staff are lovely and friendly, though do advise you once you've arrived that it's a quiet zone, so you spend the whole time whispering, which we found surprisingly easy!

Once the forms are filled out we were shown to a our 'pamper pod', which was this gorgeous area just for two. With two day beds, loads of lovely duvets and pillows, individual lights and magazines - we were really impressed as usually you have to fight over space in the 'relaxation rooms'. The dressing/shower rooms are equally impressive - spacious individual areas with showers, dressing tables and lovely toiletries, all which seemed to be replenished very regularly. You're given a locker key and the locker holds your slippers and dressing gown.

There's no pool or jacuzzi at the Sanderson, just a steam room, but it really doesn't seem to matter. We had a really relaxing time in our pamper pod and ordered lunch - the menu is short but has really lovely options - I had the tuna tartare and my sister in law had the turkey. I was expecting the dishes to be expensive but they were both under £10. We both also had a smoothie - both were delicious. The lunch was delivered to the pod and all set up between our day beds, we barely had to move!

After lunch we had a steam and then it was pretty much time for our treatments. I had the Vit C Bisse facial which was divine - I dozed off a couple of times and my skin was glowing afterwards. My sister in law had a massage which she said was really good.

The main thing about the Agua Spa though is the experience itself - it's so calm and relaxing and so are the staff. Everything seems to be done effortlessly and you leave with a real spring in your step. I've been before and just had an Eve Lom facial without using any of the facilities, but the full experience was definitely worth it. The treatments are on the expensive side even for 5* London hotel - for example, the same Eve Lom facial is available at Spa NK in Notting Hill for about £30 less and is just as good, albeit not in the same surroundings - still good though!

That said, it's become my favourite spa in London and I can't wait to go back in a couple of months!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Emma C
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The Sanderson offers a great location from the hustle and bustle of Oxford Street and is an intriguing hotel. The quirky design features are interesting especially the thoughtfully placed furniture in the lobby area, the snooker table in a room with a magnificent stained glass window, the trendy Long Bar and the amazing lifts that make you feel like Charlie in the Great Glass Elevator! Billed as a Boutique hotel, it's fits the bill on its quirky styling, but in my opinion it's too large to be listed as this type of hotel with 150 rooms. The Long bar is buzzing and obviously a popular place to go for the London crowd so the Purple bar for residents (or those with reservations) is a welcome retreat. The atmosphere is very chilled and dark! It takes a while to get acclimatised to the room so to see the innovative cocktail menu it has to be viewed with the assistance of the light from a mobile phone! Having said that the bartender was very helpful and attentive, making cocktail recommendations based on your preferences and provided a couple of drinks that were sublime (although an accompanying nibble wouldn't have gone a miss).
The bedroom was a good size and continues with the minimalistic feel. The bed was large and comfy with plump pillows that almost wrap around your head as you lean on them. As asset with regards to sound proofing mind as our room was on the first floor and right above the courtyard area, so there was noise from the busy bar and the constant bass beat from the music until the early hours of the morning. There's plenty of storage and space in the room including the bathroom however "the Ingenious design touches of the whimsical aesthetic of Philippe Starck" made me feel like I was staying in a private hospital room (the voile curtains in particular). It's all quite clinical.
Staff were all very pleasant and welcoming with no exception. Check in/out was efficient, service in the bar and at breakfast was good as was house- keeping when we made a late night call for a cup of tea. There's no facilities in the room but are promptly provided on request.
Breakfast was included in our package and there was a good selection on offer including a choice of coffee.
I'd have no objection to staying another night at this hotel although it's pricey.

Room Tip: Try to avoid first floor
2  Thank TravellingTnA
Kevin R, General Manager at Sanderson London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thank you for your comprehensive review of your time at Sanderson. We are pleased you were intrigued by our hotel as we aim to create a surreal fantasy world for the lucky guests who enter through the Sanderson doors. linxi.romanovski@mhgc.com would be delighted to personally oversee your next experience with us so when you are planning to stay again please do get in touch with her so she can make sure your next visit is even more enjoyable.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

The Sanderson is sublime. You are surrounded by a feast of design by Phillipe Stark which is quirky and stylish, I loved everything about it. I've always wanted to stay here and I was not let down, everything about it was stunning and the staff were excellent too. We had forgotten to book somewhere to eat, (on a Saturday evening), but the concierge recommended somewhere and it was booked immediately and it was perfect. The rooms are stylish and comfortable and we had a great weekend. I will definitely be returning and next time I must try out some treatments from the spa.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

We are thrilled your stay at Sanderson exceeded your expectations as we always aim to create unique and unforgettable experiences for our guests. It is so rewarding to read you loved everything about the hotel; the design, excellent service and stylish comfortable rooms. Please do make sure you allow yourself time to enjoy some pampering in our tranquil agua spa when you stay next time as it really is worth a visit. linxi.romanovski@mhgc.com would love to make sure your next experience at Sanderson is even more enjoyable so please contact her when you have a date in mind to return. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sanderson.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We usually stay at The Sanderson's sister hotel St Martins Lane but decided to try The Sanderson. The staff cannot do enough to ensure your stay is perfect. The room was perfectly equipped, the cocktails in the bar prepared and served with panache, there was a real buzz about the place but also totally relaxing. Breakfast and service was first class. We would happily recommend this hotel to anyone who enjoys stylish hotels and good service.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Trudi, we are delighted that chose to stay at Sanderson and are thrilled you are now an admirer of our hotel as well as St Martins Lane. It is always a pleasure to read such positive feedback so thank you for your review and also for recommending Sanderson on Tripadvisor. We do hope you have the opportunity to visit us again soon as we would love to welcome you back. Please get in touch with linxi.romanovski@mhgc.com so that she can personally oversee your next experience at Sanderson.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I loved the Sanderson hotel. The look, the feel, the location, the design and above all the staff!
The rooms are really modern and edgy, with super-cool glass bathrooms. The towels, linen and even the minibar gets a special mention as well - really nice quality and selection beyond my expectations even in a 5 star property.
A really cool feature was the fact that the turndown service included the housekeeping staff lighting a tea candle in the room, turning the cool, but to some perhaps slightly cold, design-room into a cozy and welcoming place in the evenings.
I also really enjoyed the purple-bar and it’s tiny chairs – what a crazy idea – I was amazed it worked! A special mention as well to the Swedish hostess at Purple for all her great suggestions, and excellent service!
A word of caution, If you are looking for a traditional somber 5star hotel this is not for you. If you love funky design, individuality and great people this is THE place for it. Sanderson is not a quiet place, its cool and buzzing, and its totally awesome.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Oscar E
Kevin R, General Manager at Sanderson London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Oscar, we are delighted to have exceeded your expectations, thank you for your amazing review. The Sanderson team are passionate about delivering a friendly and attentive service and our desire is for guests to experience something truly unique when they enter into the fantasy world at Sanderson, so to hear that you loved so much about the hotel is incredibly rewarding. Please do come back to see us again soon, if you contact linxi.romanovski@mhgc.com when you are planning your next visit she would love to personally oversee your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sanderson.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Very good location and super nice staff.
The room was outstanding, reflecting at 100% the Morgans hotel philosophy.

Breakfast could be improved, but overall the variety and the quality of the products was ok.

I'll come back if I have the chance!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review Mike, it is always great to receive such positive feedback and we are delighted that our friendly team helped to make your visit so enjoyable. We certainly hope that you have the opportunity to return as we would love to welcome you back. When you have a date in mind for your next visit please get in touch with linxi.romanovski@mhgc.com and she will make sure your next stay is even more memorable.